Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

noise coming from rear whenever going over a bump or making a sharp turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 AM
dakota9812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise coming from rear whenever going over a bump or making a sharp turn

whenever i go over a bump or make a sharp turn i hear this noise in the rear of my car that sounds like something is bouncing up and down. i checked the stability of my exhaust and it seems fine and i cleaned out my trunk and nothing was loose or flying around back there. when i go over a bump its just a two step noise as if something comes up hits something and comes down. when i turn it usually will make the noise probably about 4-5 times and sounds sort of like a popping noise. can someone tell me the possibilities of what this can be? thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Synjn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakota9812
whenever i go over a bump or make a sharp turn i hear this noise in the rear of my car that sounds like something is bouncing up and down. i checked the stability of my exhaust and it seems fine and i cleaned out my trunk and nothing was loose or flying around back there. when i go over a bump its just a two step noise as if something comes up hits something and comes down. when i turn it usually will make the noise probably about 4-5 times and sounds sort of like a popping noise. can someone tell me the possibilities of what this can be? thanks
Search the forum a bit. You should find some input.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
BYL

I think i had a similar issue on my 08. Metallic ticking noise coming from the rear when going over bumps/rough road and turns! I checked and checked under the car, front and rear, etc... Finally, took it to the dealer (under warranty) and after 3 days in the shop and them calling Nissan North America, they hooked up the "chassis Ears" and found the problem. I'm sorry, dude, but i forget what it was...but it was some suspension piece that wasn't properly screwed in. they replaced it, tightened the new one and off on my way I went. So far so good...KNOCK ON WOOD!
Not sure if you're is still under warranty, but from what the dealer told me it was very hard to find although it was very audible and if its true, you may not find it on your own.
Bottom line, its not normal and you should get it fixed.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BYL
I think i had a similar issue on my 08. Metallic ticking noise coming from the rear when going over bumps/rough road and turns! I checked and checked under the car, front and rear, etc... Finally, took it to the dealer (under warranty) and after 3 days in the shop and them calling Nissan North America, they hooked up the "chassis Ears" and found the problem. I'm sorry, dude, but i forget what it was...but it was some suspension piece that wasn't properly screwed in. they replaced it, tightened the new one and off on my way I went. So far so good...KNOCK ON WOOD!
Not sure if you're is still under warranty, but from what the dealer told me it was very hard to find although it was very audible and if its true, you may not find it on your own.
Bottom line, its not normal and you should get it fixed.
could you call the dealer and have them look up your tech invoice and find out what exact part it was???

-J
Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

I have diagnosed issues like this before but never pin pointed what exact point it was and this is why...

FIRST I,
1. inspected everything!! i mean every exhaust hanger, every bushing, every dynamic point under the rear of the car.
2. i then looked for smudges in road grime - as in, if the edge of an exhaust pipe was hitting you can see that there is a smooth spot or lack of road grime from contact versus the near by areas.

then
3. i went to loosening and re tightening/torquing every bolt down there! every suspension bolt, every knuckle to spring bucket/camber arm, rear shock to body 12mm bolts, shock to knuckle bolt - E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G......

4. cleaned excessively dirty parts...

I would also use Lithium spray lube at all points of metal to metal contact, etc...

Then magically noises were gone....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 04-23-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Mazinger Z

I'm having the same problem (it seems like). So far I've only taken off my wheels and re-torqued them, but still having the same sound. Mine is coming from the middle/left/rear of my car. It sounds like a bolt is loose or something. I just got new brakes/pads installed...argh...it's bugging the crap out of me. I have this fear of something coming loose when I'm driving and BAM, my car is skidding down the freeway on it's ***.

*Knock on wood*

Going to jack up the car later and take a real look to see what's up. Man...damn it all to hell !
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Mazinger Z
Man...damn it all to hell !
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
niZam

I've also got a sound when going over bumps. Cant decide if its the axle issue or something else. Metallic in sound, almost like spoons being hit together with a rattle. Its odd, happens on bumps at any speed but if Im on the gas accelerating and hit a bump, no sound. Can the axles rattle over bumps from being too loose?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM
jray8

bump
Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM
NewJoyZ

Might be strut knock. How may miles?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM
B18CTOVQ35

I'm having the same issue now that we installed my Eibachs...it didnt do it the first ride home but the next day, i noticed it trying to get of the garage. Mine seems like its coming from the front driver side more than it is in the rear. more of a pop pop pop or a click click click how ever you wanna call it. it does it when i turn or even when im going straight. Not sure if something is loose or something is rubbing and getting stuck. We are gonna pull the rims off tonight and i will update once we find out anything.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Lefix

I kinda have the same problem, small clicking or popping noise.. Not sure what it is but it is only one click, keep us updated!!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Sounds like control arms...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Improperly lubricated rear hub...there was a TSb, common problem with no real consequences othe rthan sound...
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Bringing from the dead. I have this issue along with the axle clicking issue. And my dealership is a P.O.S that wont do a goddamn thing about anything.