Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Faint ticking sound from under the dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
AREITU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint ticking sound from under the dash

I have an 08 6MT w/25k miles. It started making this ticking sound under the dash and sounds like it's coming from behind the stereo. You can feel something tapping when you put your hand against the plastic vent that blows air on your foot. You can't hear it from under the car or from the engine bay. The ticking is completely dependent on RPM, and usually starts around 2000rpm.

When I took it to the dealership last week, it stopped ticking when I got within a few blocks. The service advisor looked and said it was the wiring harness for an aftermarket alarm (installed by the dealership I bought the car from) and said I should take it out, even though the noise is dependent only on RPM. I took the harness out that night, but the noise was still there. Weird thing was, it disappeared for the next 4 days, and just came back this morning. If I drove it over to the dealership right now, it would probably stop ticking by the time I got there.

It doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not, etc. so it leads me to think it's transmission or flywheel related, but I can't think of anything that might slap against the inside of the transmission tunnel. It seems to come and go randomly. The car has about 25k miles on it, so I still have 10k miles left if it's not a powertrain problem.

Anyone have an issue like this, that got fixed?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
NismoTreeFittyZ

I had a similar noise coming from my 08 nismo. The tech at the dealership said there was debris in the heater core. Hope this helps..
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM
MarvinMartian

It's a bomb! Run!!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
insane350

I had the same problem and for a sec I thought it was my clutch pedal rattling cause I heard the noise at the same time as you, right around 2K RPM. I slightly put my foot on the pedal and it went away and I tried that several times with the same result and now for some reason the sound is completely gone
Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
AREITU

Originally Posted by insane350
I had the same problem and for a sec I thought it was my clutch pedal rattling cause I heard the noise at the same time as you, right around 2K RPM. I slightly put my foot on the pedal and it went away and I tried that several times with the same result and now for some reason the sound is completely gone
I have the clutch rattle too. This noise happens regardless of whether or not the clutch is engaged.

Originally Posted by NismoTreeFittyZ
I had a similar noise coming from my 08 nismo. The tech at the dealership said there was debris in the heater core. Hope this helps..
Did it ever get resolved, or did you just live with the ticking noise? Also any ideas how the tech figured that out?

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
It's a bomb! Run!!
I'll drive faster and outrun the explosion!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 AM
hran

sorry to revive this horribly old thread. Just developed this problem - i get it over 4.5k rpm. any followups to your problems?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
mau5

I also have an 08 6MT that is about to hit 25k miles. Around 5k miles ago, I started hearing the ticking noise from behind my steering wheel column. It's non-existent before 2k RPM, but as soon as you hit 2k, it starts up and gets faster as your RPMs get higher.

I noticed that this mostly happens on cold mornings. It just happened today for the third or fourth time.

Hopefully someone has been able to fix this problem and could give us some insight (other than the person that mentioned the heater core a few posts up).

Sorry (again) for bringing this back from the dead, like the guy above, but I really need an answer!

Edit: I was two blocks away from the dealership trying to drop my car off to show them the noise, but it disappeared. Very frustrating.

Last edited by mau5; 10-29-2012 at 01:32 PM.