Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

oil on spark plugs just replaced valve covers...what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM
sinasajadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on spark plugs just replaced valve covers...what now?

A few weeks ago I replaced my valve covers due to a misfire issue because of the oil on the spark plugs..

however at the time I did NOT replace my spark plugs as well...I know Im retarded.

The misfire and loss of power is still there!

Will it go away when I replace my oilly spark plugs for the new ones I just got?

Once I replace the old spark plugs for the new ones will I still have oil in the coil packs and combustion chamber?

DO I need to take off the upper plenum in order to change the plugs or is there a way around that?

Any help is much appreciated. thanks!!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
dcash5

I'd be looking to change the coilpacks personally. Maybe just get a spare one and keep cycling it around the cylinders untill you find the faulty one
Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
sinasajadi

bump any other ideas??
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
2000atlanticgt

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just changed my plugs and it is not necessary to remove the upper intake. On passenger side there are a couple vacuum lines and harness brackets to take loose to give you enough room to remove the coils and then take out the plugs. On the driver's side you will need to remove the air filter box, intake tube between air box and TB, a bracket or two and then you can access the coils and plugs on that side. Coils are expensive and the plugs are cheap and not hard to replace so I would change all of the plugs out and go from there.

Have you checked to see if you have any DTC stored? That might tell you what cylinder to be looking for issues with. I had a P0301 and determined it was a coil that had went bad by moving the coil from cyl 1 to 3 and the DTC changed to P0303. I went ahead and changed all of the plugs anyway based on what the plugs in those two cylinders looked like.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 AM
sinasajadi

oh ok. So did you even replace the coil too??
Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 AM
BonesZ33

which cylinder is missfiring?

Here is a simple test.. if cylinder 1 is missfiring..

Take the coilpack from cylinder 1 and switch it to another clyinder and put the other coilpack on cylinder 1.. reset your computer, and if the missfire is at the new clyinder .. the coilpack is bad..

BTW where was the oil located on the spark plug.. on the top or where it detonates inside the cylinder
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
2000atlanticgt

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sinasajadi
oh ok. So did you even replace the coil too??
Yes, of course I did. Like I mentioned the DTC changed from cylinder 1 to 3 when I swapped those coils so the coil was bad. I just decided to replace the plugs as well after looking at them.

If you are just getting the generic misfire code and not a specific cylinder misfire code try pulling all of your plugs and looking for soot or buildup on the plugs. It was easy to see the extra buildup on the spark plug that came from cylinder 1 that was misfiring on my car. Checking the plugs should give you a better idea of which cylinder might be giving you a problem.