Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

white smoke coming from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Z You Later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke coming from engine bay

So as the title states, today when I was driving to work, everything seemed fine until I parked...a little bit of white smoke drifted up from under the hood. When I opened the hood I heard a hissing/steaming sound coming from the Inside of my intake?

To set up the story we had a BUNCH of rain and on the last day of all of it, my gauge cluster stopped working ie RPM and speedometer. The next day everything seemed to be working fine until today. The problem with the gauges started about 2 days ago. Any Idea? Engine mode that could have part is my JWT Popcharger, upgraded grounding wires...I have other engine mode but all would not have anything to do with this.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM
BonesZ33

Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Z You Later

^ go troll somewhere else and give me my 2 seconds of life back...
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM
BonesZ33

oh you want some real help do you? Well I work at a perfomance shop for my occupation so let me see if i can be of any assistance to you.

So as the title states, today when I was driving to work, everything seemed fine until I parked...a little bit of white smoke drifted up from under the hood.

When I opened the hood I heard a hissing/steaming sound coming from the Inside of my intake?
Smoke coming from inside the intake? and a hissing noise.. this doesn't help at all.. smoke was probably from the water hitting your hot engine

To
set up the story we had a BUNCH of rain and on the last day of all of it, my gauge cluster stopped working ie RPM and speedometer
am obvious wiring problem,a bad ground.. find a fsm and look over all the grounds and check connector connections

The next day everything seemed to be working fine until today. The problem with the gauges started about 2 days ago. Any Idea? Engine mode that could have part is my JWT Popcharger, upgraded grounding wires...I have other engine mode but all would not have anything to do with this
what is a mode? take off the grounding wires and connect all the factory grounds. other than that sounds like your not going to be able to fix this yourself
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Z You Later

Predictive text on my phone is still learning, I meant mods not mode...the smoke dissipated before I found the location but the hissing/overheating sound was coming from inside the Intake.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:30 PM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by Z You Later
Predictive text on my phone is still learning, I meant mods not mode...the smoke dissipated before I found the location but the hissing/overheating sound was coming from inside the Intake.
is the car overheating? is water temperature normal?.. did this start to happen only after you installed the grounding kit?.. hissing from the intake could be a normal sound that you've just never heard before.. there isn't really a bad way to install a pop charger unless you left something inside the intake.. check for a vacume leak .. there is a vacume hose under the intake tube , did you leave it off?

your description of the problems only leads me to vauge speculations.. Although the tach issue is most likely a grounding problem, or a connection problem. start your search in areas that YOU'VE messed with recently.. start with the obvious first.. other than that Come back with more info.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Z You Later

I'll put more details when I can get to a computer...the grounding kit and Popcharger have been on for a long time with no Issues. I've had zero Issues until the storms came through. I dont think water got in the engine since it runs fine but Ill double check the connections tomorrow morning.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Z You Later

Found out the problem today, my A/C condensor burnt up FML