Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

leak in my tire? tpms light on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 PM
nyZ_nick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak in my tire? tpms light on...

I recently got the TPMS light on my dash a few days ago for the first time on my 08 enthusiast. Found out that my rear passenger tire had like 24 psi. Took it to the stealership they charged me $77 to reset the light and fill the tire to 35 psi. Next morning the light came on again and tire pressure was at 24 again, drove to work and back and saw that my rear passenger tire pressure was at 14 psi!!! Im guessing I need a new tire right? The stealership said they checked for nails and stuff. Guess they didnt check good enough smh

All my other tires are good though.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stealerships are greedy and mostly worthless IMO. Yes it sounds like you have a tire that is history, discount tire resets the TPS when they change out the tires, nc. Good ruck fella
Old 09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Please scan and Post work order. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Why does the light have to be reset? A few months ago the light was on in my '08 because I picked up a nail in a tire. Had the tire repaired - no more light. What am I missing here?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 PM
nyZ_nick

Originally Posted by dcains
Why does the light have to be reset? A few months ago the light was on in my '08 because I picked up a nail in a tire. Had the tire repaired - no more light. What am I missing here?
nissan said they had to recalibrate the tpms and reset the light. But it came on again cuz my tire keeps leaking air.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
dcains

I understand that your tire is leaking, but I think it's a BS story that you've got to take your Z to the dealer every time the light comes on. The manual doesn't mention any such requirement. What happens if you reinflate the tire to 36psi? Does the light go out after a few minutes of driving?

This is from my owner's manual:

The low tire pressure warning light does not
automatically turn off when the tire pressure
is adjusted. After the tire is inflated to the
recommended pressure, the vehicle must be
driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h) to
activate the TPMS and turn off the low tire
pressure warning light. Use a tire pressure
gauge to check the tire pressure.

Last edited by dcains; 09-04-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Recalibrating the TPMS (if it was really needed at all) should have been covered under warranty. It sounds like you got ripped by the dealer.

I had low a tire pressure warning when the temperature dropped a lot, and the light went out soon after I brought the pressures up to spec.

Sometime simply re-seating the tire beads will cure a slow leak. I had a slow leak in one of the tires on my Silverado. When I got a nail puncture repaired, the tire guy took the tire completely off the rim, and reinstalled it. The slow leak was gone after that.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:30 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nyZ_nick
I recently got the TPMS light on my dash a few days ago for the first time on my 08 enthusiast. Found out that my rear passenger tire had like 24 psi. Took it to the stealership they charged me $77 to reset the light and fill the tire to 35 psi. Next morning the light came on again and tire pressure was at 24 again, drove to work and back and saw that my rear passenger tire pressure was at 14 psi!!! Im guessing I need a new tire right? The stealership said they checked for nails and stuff. Guess they didnt check good enough smh

All my other tires are good though.
The dealer took advantage of your lack of knowledge of how the system works. The low pressure warning light tells you that you need air in a tire, it doesn't indicate a problem with the system. By taking it to them, you gave them free rein to do some diagnostics and that's what they charged you for.

If the low fuel warning light comes on, are you going to bring the car back to them so then can fill it with gas and "reset" the light? Of course not.

I suggest reading your owners manual some and becoming familiar with some of the warning lights and their causes. Learn to refer to the owners manual next time a light comes on and you'll save yourself a few bucks.

While they may not have found a nail, leaks can occurs from the valve stem and bead. Take it to a tire shop to get that fixed - they're cheaper than the dealer.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
nyZ_nick

Originally Posted by dcains
I understand that your tire is leaking, but I think it's a BS story that you've got to take your Z to the dealer every time the light comes on. The manual doesn't mention any such requirement. What happens if you reinflate the tire to 36psi? Does the light go out after a few minutes of driving?

This is from my owner's manual:

The low tire pressure warning light does not
automatically turn off when the tire pressure
is adjusted. After the tire is inflated to the
recommended pressure, the vehicle must be
driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h) to
activate the TPMS and turn off the low tire
pressure warning light. Use a tire pressure
gauge to check the tire pressure.
thats the thing, i reinflated it back to 35psi and drove on the highway and the light was still there.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
nyZ_nick

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The dealer took advantage of your lack of knowledge of how the system works. The low pressure warning light tells you that you need air in a tire, it doesn't indicate a problem with the system. By taking it to them, you gave them free rein to do some diagnostics and that's what they charged you for.

If the low fuel warning light comes on, are you going to bring the car back to them so then can fill it with gas and "reset" the light? Of course not.

I suggest reading your owners manual some and becoming familiar with some of the warning lights and their causes. Learn to refer to the owners manual next time a light comes on and you'll save yourself a few bucks.

While they may not have found a nail, leaks can occurs from the valve stem and bead. Take it to a tire shop to get that fixed - they're cheaper than the dealer.
I will actually do that. I just took it back to the dealership cuz it was the first place i thought of. And i asked them if it was covered under warranty and they said "No, because its wear and tear." Apparently im only covered by powertrain blaahh. Thanks again for the feedback DavesZ
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nyZ_nick
thats the thing, i reinflated it back to 35psi and drove on the highway and the light was still there.
Well this is not good.

The dealer did something for $77 not sure what. If you have a good relationship with the dealer maybe he will fix it like supposed to do $77 dollars ago.

BTW all dealers are not thieves. Bob Bell Nissan fixed a flat for me. Charge? Zero.

Last edited by davidv; 09-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There are two lights/warnings. One for low pressure, the other for a sensor not being detected. It sounds like you got both???
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But shouldn't it still be covered by the warranty?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
dcains

There are two lights/warnings. One for low pressure, the other for a sensor not being detected. It sounds like you got both???
This is also in the manual:

Your vehicle has also been equipped with a
TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the
system is not operating properly. The TPMS
malfunction indicator is combined with the low
tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a
malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately
one minute and then remain continuously
illuminated. This sequence will continue upon
subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the
malfunction exists.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
nyZ_nick

my light was solid, i think thats only if my tire pressure is low. If it blinks then it means the sensor is bad. Well i just came back from work and put air back in the rear tire, up to 35psi and the light went away. Im gonna check the pressure again tomorrow and see if it drops again. then im going to a tire repair shop
Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
dcains

Sounds like you're good after the tire is repaired. I wonder if the dealer really did anything for you? Either way, lesson learned.