Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Different window problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
bigjangin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different window problem.

Just to get it out of the way: I have searched and searched. I have done the reset procedure a million times. I have replaced the window motor.

A while back my driver's side window motor started going out on me. It would roll up and down slowly, sometimes wouldn't work, and I would have to slam the door or bang on it to get it to move. I didn't have a lot of time so I just left it up until I would have time to swap it out.

Then, my passenger side window started acting strange. It would work 100% normally, except once the ignition was off and you opened the door it would roll all the way down. I searched and most people said it needed to be reset. I did the reset procedure, many times, and it did not help at all. I ended up leaving the motor unplugged as I could not drive my car and leave it with the window down when I left it.

OK, at this point I thought 2 bad motors. So today I picked up a driver side motor from autozone, pop it in, do the reset procedure. It now works 100% normally and as you would expect. Auto up, auto down, everything works perfectly. Except, when the ignition is off and you open the door it rolls itself all the way down. Which means if you leave the car it will have the window down.

I am positive I did the reset procedure correctly. The only other reference I can find to this problem is the following thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-window.html

So I got some cleaner and cleaned off the connector for the window switch. Didn't help. Do the switches go bad? Has anyone seen this before? Help me please!

It is almost like with the ignition off and when the door is open it sends a autoroll down signal to the window motor. I am thinking it has something to do with the switch because if I roll the window up and unplug the switch and then open the door the window stays up. As soon as plug the switch in it rolls all the way down.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
bigjangin

Thought I would post this here in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

First thing that happened was my driver's side window motor seemed to be going out. It would roll up or down very slowly. So I used the method of banging the crap out of the door or slamming the door when it got stuck to get it back up. After a while any time I would turn the ignition off and open the door, my passenger window would roll down by itself.

I tried the reset procedure on the passenger window many times, and it didnt help. So I unplugged it so it would stay up until I figured out what was going on.

I replaced the driver's side window motor, and now both windows worked wonderfully with the car on, but both would roll down as soon as the ignition was off and a door was opened.

Finally, FINALLY, today after months of frustration I figured it out. There is a feature on our cars that when you put the physical key in on the drive side and hold it for a few seconds, the windows roll down automatically. My banging/slamming the door when my original motor was half dead had made the little electronic piece that sits on the lock come loose, and therefore it was always sending a roll down signal when it could to both windows. I took the handle off and put the piece back on and all is finally well with my windows.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 PM
SlickA70

Originally Posted by bigjangin
Thought I would post this here in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

First thing that happened was my driver's side window motor seemed to be going out. It would roll up or down very slowly. So I used the method of banging the crap out of the door or slamming the door when it got stuck to get it back up. After a while any time I would turn the ignition off and open the door, my passenger window would roll down by itself.

I tried the reset procedure on the passenger window many times, and it didnt help. So I unplugged it so it would stay up until I figured out what was going on.

I replaced the driver's side window motor, and now both windows worked wonderfully with the car on, but both would roll down as soon as the ignition was off and a door was opened.

Finally, FINALLY, today after months of frustration I figured it out. There is a feature on our cars that when you put the physical key in on the drive side and hold it for a few seconds, the windows roll down automatically. My banging/slamming the door when my original motor was half dead had made the little electronic piece that sits on the lock come loose, and therefore it was always sending a roll down signal when it could to both windows. I took the handle off and put the piece back on and all is finally well with my windows.
Sorry to dig up old threads but this seems to be my issue exactly, and I've found this thread after weeks of searching for answers.

Any idea which electronic piece hes talking about? Could someone post up a photo or diagram?