How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos. - Page 4 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
bcb06gt

Thanks to the OP for posting this. I removed my SIL's motor and replaced the brushes. I checked with an ohm meter between the end of the brush and the metal lead (1" lead that is inserted into the main unit) and then checked the other brush. Both checked. Followed the OP's advice and assembled the white plastic and shaft and then re-installed. The small cog turned when the spindle was turned. Got the cover on and everything screwed together. Installed the motor and when I go to open the top all I hear is a "click". Took the motor out and checked the continuity between the two leads that the plug is connected to (plug only has 2 wires). These have continuity between them. I was a little suprised as I would think one is 12V and the other is gnd and can be flipped to generate the forward and reverse of the motor.

Has anyone had a similar problem or checked with an ohm meter for continuity between the 2 main connectors (one row has 2 and the other row has 4 connectors - row with two is where the plug wires connect).

Thanks

UPDATE ----

I hooked up a 9V battery and the small cog turned. Reversed the polarity and the small cog reversed direction. So I believe I have the motor assembled and repaired correctly. What could be causing the motor to not "spin" the mating system in the car?

Last edited by bcb06gt; 11-30-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 AM
jowjeh

I'm gonna try clean the motor tomorrow and hopefully that will do the job, but if not, brushes it is. I've tested EVERYTHING and it is definitely the 5th bow motor. Symptoms are the same when I disconnect it so it's gotta be it (thanks to this thread for noting that plug!!)

Hopefully all goes well! I just bought the damn thing 4 days ago so it's a bit of a pain but good to learn more about the car too!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Farteez

Hi,

I am also running into the same issue you had with Seating the Gold Cover back on 5th motor. Can you tell me what you did to solve it?

Thanks,
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Farteez

Question 5th Bow part number help!

I desperately trying to identify the part number of the 5th bow motor number on my 2004 350Z. I ordered Closure Back Door Motor (90552-CE40A) picture on the right, and that looks like a completely different motor from my 5th bow motor on the left. I confirmed with 3 different dealerships, but this is completely different motor. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to know what the correct part number for the 5th bow is including what the other part is as its un-returnable so I might as well install it.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.-5th-bow-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
brady0323

Ok so I pulled my motor out and it looked just about brand new no carbon build up or anything, went ahead and replaced the brushes anyways now it still won't work. I can't even get it to lock into the trunk part so I have an open gap and don't want to drive around with my top not even closed all the way. Someone please help I posted a thread and it got ignored.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:35 AM
notrollah

Originally Posted by mnDanger69 View Post

I have everything down on this DIY. I got the new brushes, soldered them on, have the spindle and the plastic piece with brushes on them seated perfectly. EXCEPT when I put the gold COVER back on, it doesnt seat all the way back on. The gold cover is about 1 centimeter away from closing. If I take the spindle out and just put the Gold cover on (Over the Plastic piece with the Brushes) it seats correctly. So I figurered out its the SPINDLE not seating in the motor all the way. Anyone have any problems like this?
First, a BIG thank you to bluebadge! I was getting the same run-around at the dealers and trim shops (i.e. replace everything for $5,700) and followed bluebadge's directions and it worked! You should be getting a little piece of the action for all the money you've saved your fellow Z-owners (Send me your address and I'll send you a gift card).

I got hung up a few places along the way, but the biggest challenge was the spindle not seating all the way down. It took a while, but I finally figured it out. The gold housing cover is not one solid piece. There's a seat at the end that accepts the spindle end. It apparently pulled down a little when the spindle was removed. I put the housing on it's end and inserted a wooden dowel (you can use whatever works, but the magnets will make this a challenge if you use something metal) and gave it a few love taps. It moved back enough where I was able to reassemble everything and got the screws to grab. I already put everything back together or I would have posted pictures.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 PM
ernstac7

Default thanks for the help with the 5th bow motor

Bluebadge,

I can't thank you enough for posting this GREAT diy with the all important photos! I just bought a used 2004 350Z and six months later the top wouldn't work! Bummer! The dealer wanted $2k! Followed your instructions and it seems to be working fine. Just got it done tonight so we'll see what time will tell. So I'll gladly buy you a beer should our paths ever cross. This may be the difference between keeping the car and getting rid of it. I also had to come up with $1400 for a new top just months after purchase so I was feeling pretty upset with this convertible.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
PackerFan

Default Motor brushes

Nice post on the 5th Bow motor fix!
Worked great on my 350G ("G"reen Bay) convertible top problem.

The motor brushes for Radio Controlled (RC) Cars are available from your local hobby shop that are very close to the dimensions required (still may need a little filing operation). And they are very inexpensive (i.e. less than $5).

PackerFan
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Mako79

Originally Posted by mnDanger69 View Post
Well we took out the plastic piece and just tried putting the spindle back in the motor and tried to get the spindle to sit back down. When the spindle is down in there the gear turns. BUT the spindle ISNT seated all the way down because when you put the gold cover back on there is that small little gap. My mechanic friend had about the same amount of luck I did. As it stands right now I have to buy a new motor and it's $634 bucks. The spindle is not sitting all the way back in and Ive turned it clockwise over and over again with applying pressure. Anyone know where I can get a new motor WITHOUT having to go through the nissan dealership?
Sorry to wake a dead thread.
If the gap is a about 1mm then the spring that pushes the bushes on each side a jamming on main housing on the way in.

You need to file both of the brushes back 2mm length way.

The tools i used are same as instructed by bluebadge.

Condition before fix:

Also, a few tips.

Thanks blue badge for this. Do you have a paypal account??
I also want to thank username Jennifer too for pointing a few things about the roof.

I learnt alot about the 350z roof, and didnt realise how much involvement the 5th bow motor has. I can confidently say that 90% of roof issues are 5th bow related. After the fix, the motor sounds like its on 240 volts of roids.

Had a FML day a week ago. My 5th bow motor died half way. Both the storage lid and the glass 5th bow part stayed in the vertical position. I Didn't want to drive home with the erect storage lid acting like a sail.
I knew it was on its way out when i noticed the stuttering on colder days when i was opening the roof so i ordered the brushes and cleaner in advance. The roof would pause for a sec before seating in the storage compartment.

To manually close the lid yourself with allen key (i heard there is a 2 man way as well).
-open trunk.
-remove weather strip.
-remove the plastic shroud at the rear.
-remove all the plastic clips. look carefully as some are not visible and hidden behind the shroud.
-just fold back the plastic trunk interior shroud and you should see the left and right actuators.

- insert allen key (5mm i think) and alternate each side. Do half rotation on passenger then half rotation on driver and repeat. Fwd to close and rev to open.

I didn't mind having the 5th bow up, while driving home.
I found out that you can lower the 5th bow glass by removing the ball joint strut located near the head rest. When removing the second strut, make sure you hold the 5th bow as its heavy and it will drop right into the lock latch. Wrap the gas strut up it so doesnt scratch the interior.

Final note, When reinstalling the strut, dont compress it and try to install. Just move the 5th bow up/down to the right position.

Last edited by Mako79; 12-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Mako79

Originally Posted by bcb06gt View Post
Thanks to the OP for posting this. I removed my SIL's motor and replaced the brushes. I checked with an ohm meter between the end of the brush and the metal lead (1" lead that is inserted into the main unit) and then checked the other brush. Both checked. Followed the OP's advice and assembled the white plastic and shaft and then re-installed. The small cog turned when the spindle was turned. Got the cover on and everything screwed together. Installed the motor and when I go to open the top all I hear is a "click". Took the motor out and checked the continuity between the two leads that the plug is connected to (plug only has 2 wires). These have continuity between them. I was a little suprised as I would think one is 12V and the other is gnd and can be flipped to generate the forward and reverse of the motor.

Has anyone had a similar problem or checked with an ohm meter for continuity between the 2 main connectors (one row has 2 and the other row has 4 connectors - row with two is where the plug wires connect).

Thanks

UPDATE ----

I hooked up a 9V battery and the small cog turned. Reversed the polarity and the small cog reversed direction. So I believe I have the motor assembled and repaired correctly. What could be causing the motor to not "spin" the mating system in the car?
Did you press the brake?? Check all fuses and relays just in case.

I only recommend this as a last alternative. Undo the ball and joint nut to loosen 2 gas struts located at each head rest. You will have 2 struts dangling (wrap them up so you dont scratch interior). With the struts loose, this will lower the load on the fifth bow motor. Step on brake and try to open/close and see if the arms move.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 AM
mm8519

Default 2004 350Z Top Won't Close

Hopefully BlueBadge still visits occasionally, because I have a question on his procedure. I'm pretty sure my 5th bow motor died. It kept getting hung-up about 3/4 down, and finally died yesterday. The procedure didn't complete. The roof is mainly closed, except for the final step where rear window portion of the roof closes. Not sure if there is a manual way to close that and allow me to take it to a dealer.

However, I wouldn't mind trying to replace the motor myself. Problem is I'm stuck at the first picture. Where is the 5th bow motor? My Z doesn't look like that pic. It makes it appear that the 5th bow motor is in the rear hatch, but that can't be correct. I saw another post that said it's under the piece of glass with "Z" stamped in the middle. That makes more sense, but doesn't align with the BlueBadge pics. If someone can point me where this motor is, I'd like to give this process a try.

mm8519
Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 AM
MrGoFaster

Originally Posted by mm8519 View Post
I'm stuck at the first picture. Where is the 5th bow motor? My Z doesn't look like that pic. It makes it appear that the 5th bow motor is in the rear hatch, but that can't be correct. I saw another post that said it's under the piece of glass with "Z" stamped in the middle. That makes more sense, but doesn't align with the BlueBadge pics. If someone can point me where this motor is, I'd like to give this process a try.

mm8519
The 5th bow motor is located between the rear window and the back dash. Pry up the black piece of plastic on top of the back dash to find it. This is a very tight spot and you will need to get a small ratchet with a screw driver bit, around $10 at Sears, to get it out and work on it. It's impossible to access with a regular screw driver.

Check simple first. Make sure all the switches are working. If the motor raises the 5th bow but won't lower it then its not a motor problem. Its either a switch that tells the computer to go to the next operation or the computer itself.

I rebuilt all my motors but turned out that I had a computer problem. Expensive
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 AM
bluebadge

Hopefully BlueBadge still visits occasionally, because I have a question on his procedure. I'm pretty sure my 5th bow motor died. It kept getting hung-up about 3/4 down, and finally died yesterday. The procedure didn't complete. The roof is mainly closed, except for the final step where rear window portion of the roof closes. Not sure if there is a manual way to close that and allow me to take it to a dealer.

However, I wouldn't mind trying to replace the motor myself. Problem is I'm stuck at the first picture. Where is the 5th bow motor? My Z doesn't look like that pic. It makes it appear that the 5th bow motor is in the rear hatch, but that can't be correct. I saw another post that said it's under the piece of glass with "Z" stamped in the middle. That makes more sense, but doesn't align with the BlueBadge pics. If someone can point me where this motor is, I'd like to give this process a try.

mm8519
Yeah, still here! still checking every now and again, MrGoFaster is correct, the location of the 5th bow motor is under the plastic shroud that is located behind the glass windbreak that has the logo on it. DO NOT try and remove it fully as I believe it is glued at the back, just pop the front two poppers with a trim removal tool and prop it open while you work on it. If I can help further message me and i will try and get back to you asap.

I am overwhelmed by the amount of posts on my thread, I never thought so many people would have the same issue, my apologies to those I haven't been able to get back to in the thread but it looks like others have helped out a great deal, thank you to all members who have helped others.

@Mako79 Thanks for adding your photos to the thread, I really appreciate the extra mile you went. PS I do have a paypal account but, your thanks was enough payment. I'm glad my initial post has saved you all a whole heap of cash. Juding from the posts and the thanks, so far I would guesstimate that this post has saved members about $50,000 in repairs! keep spreading the word, re-post my thread anywhere and everywhere. Thanks to all!

PS My 5th bow is still working great and has not required any further repair
Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM
bluebadge

Default Beer = Good

Originally Posted by ernstac7 View Post
Bluebadge,

I can't thank you enough for posting this GREAT diy with the all important photos! I just bought a used 2004 350Z and six months later the top wouldn't work! Bummer! The dealer wanted $2k! Followed your instructions and it seems to be working fine. Just got it done tonight so we'll see what time will tell. So I'll gladly buy you a beer should our paths ever cross. This may be the difference between keeping the car and getting rid of it. I also had to come up with $1400 for a new top just months after purchase so I was feeling pretty upset with this convertible.

Thanks again,
Steve
No worries Steve, glad it helped! normally I wouldn't accept payment, but a beer sounds good if you are ever passing through Bowling Green, KY drop me a line!

PS I'm sure many folk have sold zees due to being overwhelmed with what the dealers want to charge to replace the roofs, it's sooo sad had they just have known how quick and easy it is to fix!

BB
Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
bluebadge

Default No payment required :)

Originally Posted by Mako79 View Post
Sorry to wake a dead thread.
If the gap is a about 1mm then the spring that pushes the bushes on each side a jamming on main housing on the way in.

You need to file both of the brushes back 2mm length way.

The tools i used are same as instructed by bluebadge.

Condition before fix:

Also, a few tips.

Thanks blue badge for this. Do you have a paypal account??
I also want to thank username Jennifer too for pointing a few things about the roof.

I learnt alot about the 350z roof, and didnt realise how much involvement the 5th bow motor has. I can confidently say that 90% of roof issues are 5th bow related. After the fix, the motor sounds like its on 240 volts of roids.

Had a FML day a week ago. My 5th bow motor died half way. Both the storage lid and the glass 5th bow part stayed in the vertical position. I Didn't want to drive home with the erect storage lid acting like a sail.
I knew it was on its way out when i noticed the stuttering on colder days when i was opening the roof so i ordered the brushes and cleaner in advance. The roof would pause for a sec before seating in the storage compartment.

To manually close the lid yourself with allen key (i heard there is a 2 man way as well).
-open trunk.
-remove weather strip.
-remove the plastic shroud at the rear.
-remove all the plastic clips. look carefully as some are not visible and hidden behind the shroud.
-just fold back the plastic trunk interior shroud and you should see the left and right actuators.

- insert allen key (5mm i think) and alternate each side. Do half rotation on passenger then half rotation on driver and repeat. Fwd to close and rev to open.

I didn't mind having the 5th bow up, while driving home.
I found out that you can lower the 5th bow glass by removing the ball joint strut located near the head rest. When removing the second strut, make sure you hold the 5th bow as its heavy and it will drop right into the lock latch. Wrap the gas strut up it so doesnt scratch the interior.

Final note, When reinstalling the strut, dont compress it and try to install. Just move the 5th bow up/down to the right position.
Mako79, you are welcome! yes i do but, no payment required. I'm glad the fix helped you and I want to thank you for adding your tips and photos to the thread. Hopefully this thread will thrive and be able to help others so long as the 350z is in existence. Everytime I get a thanks for helping me fix i saved comment I add the $$$ to the virtual BB savings account, so far we are around the $50k in savings mark I am so glad I decided to post the thread (with the help of others) it's always nice to get thank yous.

Hope your fix lasts well into your zees twilight years!

Cheers
BB
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
bluebadge

Default Sorry for the delay!

Originally Posted by brady0323 View Post
Ok so I pulled my motor out and it looked just about brand new no carbon build up or anything, went ahead and replaced the brushes anyways now it still won't work. I can't even get it to lock into the trunk part so I have an open gap and don't want to drive around with my top not even closed all the way. Someone please help I posted a thread and it got ignored.
Brady, sorry I wasn't able to get back to you, I get quite a few pm's on here and may have missed this one. Did you ever figure out why it wasn't closing. If you have tried to force it open this could cause the gears to be out of sync which could cause the lid not to close all the way, maybe? i'm just speculating as i'm not too familiar with the lid actuators and motors etc...

As for the 5th bow motor not operating the lid at all, is the motor making any noise at all when you press the button to open and close the roof? if not then it could be a power or fuse issue. Are there any clicks at all?

Let me know how you are getting on with this. I will do some more research.

Cheers
BB
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM
mm8519

Wow! The fast response time on a 4 year old thread is incredible.

MrGoFaster - I'm fairly certain the motor wore out. JoeCool posted a videeo on 11/29/11 in this thread and that's exactly what mine was doing. The motor had a very tired sound recently and the hitches kept getting more and more pronounced. Last night it finally died before completing the cycle. Sure sounds like a motor dying, and the 5th bow sounds like a common issue.

I've called several Nissan dealers and they sound clueless about the Z tops. No wonder the quotes are so outrageous. They can't even seem to identify the part # for a replacement 5th Bow Motor. The closest they came was a "rear closure motor", but I saw a pic of that in this post, and that's not it. I'm guessing that's the motor to close the rear hatch.

Anyway, I intend to take another look tonight and see if I can pinpoint where this motor is at with your added guidance. Does seem like a tight working area; especially with the top up.

thanks,
mm8519
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM
mm8519

I think it just occured to me why my Z doesn't look like the picture, and I don't see the black plastic cover. Since my roof didn't finish the cycle, the rear portion of the roof (with the rear window) didn't come back down. I'm guessing the motor is located within that portion of the top itself. I guess I need to get that back down in order to proceed with this operation. The rear hatch closed, but the final step is to lower the back portion of the roof. The open/close button will raise/lower the rear hatch, but it can't go beyond that any longer.

The manual lists a procedure in which you remove the 2 hydraulic struts, and it will simply fall back down. That seems unlikely since there is a motor with gears holding it in place. If someone has an easy suggestion for lowering this bit of the roof, I could probably give BB's process a try.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
bluebadge

Default May the force be with you! but not too much!

I think it just occured to me why my Z doesn't look like the picture, and I don't see the black plastic cover. Since my roof didn't finish the cycle, the rear portion of the roof (with the rear window) didn't come back down. I'm guessing the motor is located within that portion of the top itself. I guess I need to get that back down in order to proceed with this operation. The rear hatch closed, but the final step is to lower the back portion of the roof. The open/close button will raise/lower the rear hatch, but it can't go beyond that any longer.

The manual lists a procedure in which you remove the 2 hydraulic struts, and it will simply fall back down. That seems unlikely since there is a motor with gears holding it in place. If someone has an easy suggestion for lowering this bit of the roof, I could probably give BB's process a try.
When mine first started going slow, I would apply a slight amount of pressure in the direction that the thing was travelling in (while holding the brake and pressing the roof button) when it stuck and it would grind back to life and carry on, almost as if it was just a little stuck and needed a nudge. The only problem was I actually applied too much force one day and snapped the end off the hydraulic strut. I ended up having a pal weld a very short bolt on the end of the strut with the same thread size where it had snapped off and that worked fine (was also much cheaper than replacing the strut). But I was able to get the bit back down so that I could work on it.

I would say it would be near impossible to work on the 5th bow motor in the upright position. Do be very careful if you decide to apply force to push it back into life as the struts can take a bit of force, but too much and you'll snap the end off! I'm not sure if undoing the struts would allow it to fall back down, I would doubt it. I don't know of any other way to bring it back down.

BE CAREFUL! keep us posted on how you get on.

BB
Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
mm8519

So far so good. Found my answer in this thread. Mako79 is correct, you can lower the 5th bow by removing the 2 hydraulic struts. Do need to be careful because the window will fall freely once you do. As a note for those in the future, this made it a little easier. I placed a small cushion under the 5th bow to keep it from going all the way down and latching. This actually made it easier to pry up the plastic cover, because it was a few inches off the ground.

Motor is out and brushes look similar to pics. One almost completely worn, so feeling as if this might be the problem. New brushes on the way from Amazon.

One final question before i assemble. A couple of people have said to grease components. What does that include? Would hate to get this far and screw it up by greasing the wrong thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: