Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 AM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Greasing...

Originally Posted by mm8519
....One final question before i assemble. A couple of people have said to grease components. What does that include? Would hate to get this far and screw it up by greasing the wrong thing.
The only Item I was going to grease (but didn't as I didn't have any grease to hand) was both ends of the spindle. Basically I was just going to apply a blob of grease on the worm gear (the bit that looks like a screwthread) and maybe the opposite end, the tip that sits in the gold coloured casing, and that was it. You shouldn't need to grease anything else. If you do you might case serious problems.

Thanks for the update!
BB
Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
mm8519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlueBadge, you belong in the DIY Hall of Fame! It took 3 tries, but it worked. I would have never attempted this in a million years without your detailed pics and descriptions. If I can do it, anyone can. I will share my experience for future users. I removed and disassembled the motor 3 times, but 3rd time was the charm. I almost gave up and went to the dealer, but I was so certain it was this motor, that I tried it one more time. I did notice the final time that one of the brushes stuck back in the housing, so maybe it was getting caught once I put it together. The final assembly attempt I was extra cautious making sure that everything stayed in the proper place.

I can't thank Bluebadge and the people on this post enough. I wouldn't have so much minded spending the money, but having a dealer randomly replace parts would drive me nuts. Oh, and spending $10 vs $2,000 doesn't hurt either.

Great forum.....me and my Z will be back

mm8519
Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM
bluebadge

Default Glad it worked out!

Originally Posted by mm8519
BlueBadge, you belong in the DIY Hall of Fame! It took 3 tries, but it worked. I would have never attempted this in a million years without your detailed pics and descriptions. If I can do it, anyone can. I will share my experience for future users. I removed and disassembled the motor 3 times, but 3rd time was the charm. I almost gave up and went to the dealer, but I was so certain it was this motor, that I tried it one more time. I did notice the final time that one of the brushes stuck back in the housing, so maybe it was getting caught once I put it together. The final assembly attempt I was extra cautious making sure that everything stayed in the proper place.

I can't thank Bluebadge and the people on this post enough. I wouldn't have so much minded spending the money, but having a dealer randomly replace parts would drive me nuts. Oh, and spending $10 vs $2,000 doesn't hurt either.

Great forum.....me and my Z will be back

mm8519

Another satisfied customer! glad we could help. Happy motoring and thanks for sharing!

BB
Old 04-11-2014, 04:30 PM
myfairlady33

very good tutorial.I took my motor out before I read this. I'm 6'1" very tight in there.once I got the motor out I checked it with a 12 volt power source had to tap on the motor to get it to work. Definitely brushes.
Thanks for the Amazon link
Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM
RogerDaly

Originally Posted by bluebadge
*** How To Repair 5th Bow Motor ***

The model featured is my 2004 Touring Roadster, Current mileage is about 123k and I have never cleaned this motor or replaced the brushes before, so this is what you can expect if you are doing this for the first time.

Ok, so I've been wanting to do a how to guide for a while and this is a doozie! yup, 5th Bow Motor Repair!! If your 5th bow is getting stuck or not retracting your soft top in the storage compartment, the is a high probability that the brushes in the 5th bow motor are worn out. My how to will show you how to replace these brushes... The brushes can be bought online and they are the same ones used in the tutorial for fixing a sticking window motor, in fact this is pretty much the same as that, only easier!

What you'll need before you start.

1) A couple of hours spare time
2) A right angled (90 degree) phillips head screwdriver (or really short screwdriver)
3) Pair of suitable brushes got mine from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/MBS5-Stand-Up-.../dp/B001BHLX0W )
4) Small socket set (not 100% needed but useful)
5) Soldering Iron, Flux and Solder
6) Scissors
7) Egg Box and Double Sided Sticky Tape (just messing!)
8) Electrical Contact Cleaner and Rag
9) Fine sand paper (the wives nail file would do!)
10) A couple of band aids just in case!

The whole process took me a couple of hours with help from domrvt (cheers dude!)

Ok first you want to cram yourself inside your Zee (if you are over 6ft I feel for you!) Everything from this point is in picture format so .....

Once I got the motor back in the car I re-attached the electrical harness and press the button for the roof, and voila! it worked, then put it all back together, now my roof works flawlessly! Hope this How To was of help to those (like me) who were facing a $1000 plus repair job! this only cost me a couple of hours and about $10.

Cheers, feel free to re-post this on any other forums that you know of where people are having the same issue!!!

If you have any questions please message me. This is my first how to, so feedback is welcome.

BlueBadge

PS You will notice that I didn't re-lube the components as I didn't have any grease on hand, but I definitely recommend it! (i'll do mine later!)
Blue Badge- just finished replacing brushes on 5th bow motor on our 2004Z- GREAT TUTORIAL! Top works great- THANKS
Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Rangerz

Dude, I gotta tell you...you just saved me 2,200.00 from the dealership! I did it just like you said in about 3 hours. The brushes were still in fair shape, but dirty dirty dirty. I cleaned them up really good, reinstalled and the top works freakin awesome. I ordered a few sets of the brushes from Amazon for the future. You Rock
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Jollyj3wbagle42

Originally Posted by bcb06gt
Thanks to the OP for posting this. I removed my SIL's motor and replaced the brushes. I checked with an ohm meter between the end of the brush and the metal lead (1" lead that is inserted into the main unit) and then checked the other brush. Both checked. Followed the OP's advice and assembled the white plastic and shaft and then re-installed. The small cog turned when the spindle was turned. Got the cover on and everything screwed together. Installed the motor and when I go to open the top all I hear is a "click". Took the motor out and checked the continuity between the two leads that the plug is connected to (plug only has 2 wires). These have continuity between them. I was a little suprised as I would think one is 12V and the other is gnd and can be flipped to generate the forward and reverse of the motor.

Has anyone had a similar problem or checked with an ohm meter for continuity between the 2 main connectors (one row has 2 and the other row has 4 connectors - row with two is where the plug wires connect).

Thanks

UPDATE ----

I hooked up a 9V battery and the small cog turned. Reversed the polarity and the small cog reversed direction. So I believe I have the motor assembled and repaired correctly. What could be causing the motor to not "spin" the mating system in the car?
I'm starting to run into the same problem on my 350Z

I've installed the motor properly but eventually the 5th bow motor starts clicking constantly and won't move. I've removed it and inspected the nylon gear inside the motor. It looked as if the clicking resulted from the spindle pushing away from the nylon gear.

Just from looking at the situation, I'm wondering if the timing on the rails is off.

Does anyone have this same issue or resolved this problem?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 AM
ramapoughnative

Thanks for this great tutorial! I followed the instructions and it works better than new.. It cost me 15 bucks and about 2 hours work.. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM
LO_N_MEAN

Default 5th bow motor

Blue Badge you are awesome ...I replaced the brushes in mine and it works great thank you for all your info...Have a question for anyone..the motors that lift the roof back out of the lid are getting sluggish also...where are these located ???? and are they the same style motor ???
Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Andre Lapouble

Hi,
First, excuse my English language.

I need help. I repaired the motor as explained. It worked for two weeks. I removed and tested, all ok but now It doesn't activate when I push the button.
Is there any kind of sensor?

Same problem as JollyJ3.....(three posts before)

Last edited by Andre Lapouble; 06-27-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Andre Lapouble

Originally Posted by Andre Lapouble
Hi,
First, excuse my English language.

I need help. I repaired the motor as explained. It worked for two weeks. I removed and tested, all ok but now It doesn't activate when I push the button.
Is there any kind of sensor?

Same problem as JollyJ3.....(three posts before)
I spoke to JollyJ3 and he told that it would be a broken gear into the motor.
He thinks that is due to improper installation.

Is there anykind of procedure to follow when we re-install the motor?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM
LO_N_MEAN

Andre,try tapping on the motor(the gold colored part) with something like a small hammer or the handle of a screwdriver...mine did the same thing,i tapped it with a hammer and it started working again brushes in motor may be stuck
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Andre Lapouble

Originally Posted by LO_N_MEAN
Andre,try tapping on the motor(the gold colored part) with something like a small hammer or the handle of a screwdriver...mine did the same thing,i tapped it with a hammer and it started working again brushes in motor may be stuck
Thanks for your answer. The problem is not the motor. My repair is working yeah!!
Looks like a faulty switch who doesn't tell the motor to lift the 5th bow.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
LO_N_MEAN

Did u check the relay in the fuse box under the hood ???
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Andre Lapouble

Someone told me to disconnect the battery to reset the computer. That is working until then. Fingers crossed....
Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My stupid motor is still giving me problems after I replaced the brushes. It goes 95% of the way down then stops!!! I just want to get rid of my vert and buy the hard top instead
Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Jollyj3wbagle42

Originally Posted by Andre Lapouble
Someone told me to disconnect the battery to reset the computer. That is working until then. Fingers crossed....
So you are saying the repaired motor was "clicking" when you tried to put the top down. Then you disconnected the battery and it started working again?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 AM
bluebadge

Ok guys, so now it's time for me to reach out for your help! anyone who is still subscribed to my how to thread I am in serious need of some help!... so here we go...

I recently passed through Kansas and got caught up in a hailstorm the likes i've never seen before! we are talking baseball size chunks of hail plummeting from the skies! anyway long story short... my zee took a beating windshield annihilated, hood destroyed and and front fenders all dinged up. Needless to say my insurance company paid out to get it back to ship shape condition , so what's the problem I hear you ask?... well... when the autoglass company came out to repair the windshield they managed to snap in two the drivers side window pillar molding, basically it's the plastic exterior part that covers the left window pillar (see photo below)

If anyone knows of someone parting/breaking a 350z roadster, please shoot me their details. As I cannot find one of these anywhere! Ebay sells them but they are drop shipped from Nissan dealers and I have contacted the sellers and they even say that they can no longer get the part even if it is showing available on ebay. So all my Zee Convertible owners please keep your eyes open and let me know if you find one or know of one being parted, many thanks in advance, and I really hope someone can help.

Cheers BB
Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 AM
Jollyj3wbagle42

You would probably have better luck and more views if you created a new thread for your problem BB.
There are still people in this thread trying to solve their convertible top problem.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 AM
bluebadge

Default Just PM me on this topic, don't post in here. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jollyj3wbagle42
You would probably have better luck and more views if you created a new thread for your problem BB.
There are still people in this thread trying to solve their convertible top problem.
My thread, my rules! lol. just messin I actually did post this in the appropriate section of the forums but got zero response, in fact, so far you have been the only person to even make a comment. My logic behind posting in my own thread was that I have a convertible and that anyone reading this thread pretty much is going to have a convertible, and since my thread has had over 21,000 views since I started it, I guessed that someone might have seen a 350z conv in a breakers yard as well all need parts every now and again! (plus i'm getting desperate! lol)

There is no need to respond to this thread on this matter again, I forgot to mention in my previous post just to pm me if you have any info on the subject.

Please continue to post anything in here you need that is roof related and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks for the comment.
BB

Quick Reply: How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.