Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch issue - on hot days...gets "stuck" in play

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue - on hot days...gets "stuck" in play

Hey guys,

I don't know how to describe this problem, but I will do my best or post a video if I need to.

This problem is not frequent at all..and is pretty rare. The only times I seem to notice it as an issue are days when it is really hot.

Under normal conditions, when I press the clutch pedal, there is a bit of play before I hit the engagement point. When I take my foot off the clutch, the pedal returns back to its original position. All good, no issues.

However, this is the problem I've seen occasionally - After I press the pedal (past the engagement point) and then take my foot off the clutch, the pedals gets stuck in the "play" area (right at the engagement point). The clutch is completely released and my car is in gear just fine, but the pedal is at the lowest point in the "play" region. I find myself taking the tip of my foot to bring the clutch back up to its original position. I thought it was very odd when it started happening.

Today is another hot day, so I noticed the same issue when I got close to work in the morning. After work, before starting the car, I pressed the clutch and it seem to still have the same behavior (usually its gone the next day or after some time). As soon as I started the car, the problem was gone.

Am I losing pressure or something? I thought originally maybe my pedal was getting loose or needs some greasing, but I don't think that is the case.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 07-22-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
gamb1t

happened to me as well sometimes on very hot days in socal, or when teaching my clown friend how to drive stick (multiple stalls). it always goes away once the clutch fluid cools down. i would just flush the clutch fluid, maybe install an ss clutch line to reduce the chance of reoccurance while you're doing that if you want to shell out $40-70 more.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM
c0ld29

like gamb1t said. I live in Southern Louisiana so this happens almost every day on the way home from work if I hit any traffic for more than 10-15 minutes. As soon as I get enough free time I'm going to fix it (hopefully).

You can try just a clutch fluid flush/refill, some people claim it works. Others say that the SS line works because the rubber expands too much (I honestly can't see the lines expanding to make THAT MUCH more volume in the lines, but it still can't hurt).

The only fix that works for everyone I've seen that tried it was replacing the clutch slave cylinder. Of course replacing this you will be replacing your clutch fluid as well. This can also be a good time to replace the lines with the SS lines since you're already gonna have to bleed the system.

Slave cylinder 40-50 bucks on courtesy depending on model.
SS lines are around 50 also I believe, and then the fluid.
Labor is on you, but a free weekend and you can knock this out, just have someone help with the bleeding so speed things up and look up how to bleed the clutch on here and you're good to go.

Some people recommend replacing the master cylinder as well while you are done there, but I don't see the need for it. I haven't seen the Zs master cylinders have nearly as many failures as the slaves.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does that too(06 db), people blamed mine on my unwrapped headers. Im going to replace the clutch, fluid with rb600, ss lines, and both slave and master at the end of the month. Ill let you guys know(because if its the unwrapped headers problems should persist i think, althought the motul has a higher boiling point). OP any mods on your car that can contribute to the issue?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Rocknthehawk

Mine did it after installing the jwt kit and ss line. I had it bled and replaced the fluid with a higher dot number, no problems after.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
thespottedcow

Mine was doing that too on really hot days here in so cal, and i just flushed the fluid with some higher temp stuff, pumped the clutch a bunch of times, pulled out more fluid, replaced fluid, did that about 5 times, havent had a problem since. I try to flush the fluid every now and then, and that has seemed to help.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 AM
rockinbboy

Appreciate the insight guys! Sounds like its either a air bubble and/or combination of a fluid flush might be needed. So far the fluid looks clean...i think I replaced it 2.5 years ago. Doing a search online for "clutch sticks" and hot weather, got me some results back at my350Z:
https://my350z.com/forum/east-canada...t-weather.html
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-at-times.html

A SS line sounds like a good way to go. Will look into that. In the mean time, hopefully the weather will cool down a bit and things will return back to normal
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Crawling_Drunk

I had the same issue (Turbo '06). It usually presented itself during HOT days and in stop-and-go traffic. It's your clutch fluid getting too hot (switch to higher temp fluid) or the SS line... I have both, fluid still boils (but takes longer) during traffic and HOT days but it's the South so what the hell... As soon as you drive for a bit and wind cools the lines down, you'll be fine.