Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Leaking diff oil? Can't pin down source

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
AuAltima3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking diff oil? Can't pin down source

Hey guys, I've got a G35 and searching a few forums I am having trouble finding help.

My differential seems to be leaking from the both the output shafts. It drips sporadically, and sometimes I can smell it. I went under the car and saw that the fluid "wet" the pumpkin from basically the lower half of each output shaft seal down. The cover is slightly wet. I've only seen three drips in my garage since I've moved. It dripped maybe four or five times in the last place I was at over the course of four months.

The output shafts are dry (where they immediately exit the diff) but just below is wetted with oil. The most oil was near the fill plug and at the bottom where it was dripping.

I tried to follow the breather tube but it kinda dissapeared into the subframe. The fill cap was just barely loose, it took another quarter turn to tighten up. I am not sure if it's common for the axle output shafts to have seals go bad? It would seem odd that both went out.

The car has 94k, diff fluid changed at 89k with valvoline syn blend. is this fluid incompatible with our diff and causing leaky seals? I am at a loss, and hoping someone with some more knowledge could chime in.

I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and hope to learn more over the next few days. I found a drip on my exhaust pipe, which I am gussing was flung onto it by the wind. It is definately gear oil and not bushing fluid.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming youve checked to make sure it isnt the diff bearing that is leaking....commonplace problem, tends to leave the bleed lines on the midpipe and muffler? If so, replace w solid bearing, problem solved...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

when i changed my diff, i had my brother in law fill it back up, he works at jiffy lube so we did it there. i started seeing leakage from the axle stubs. so i went to check the level and he had some how put a whole extra quart in it and it was gradually leaking out.

i drained it and changed the fluid and havnt had a problem since.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
AuAltima3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bad240
when i changed my diff, i had my brother in law fill it back up, he works at jiffy lube so we did it there. i started seeing leakage from the axle stubs. so i went to check the level and he had some how put a whole extra quart in it and it was gradually leaking out.

i drained it and changed the fluid and havnt had a problem since.
I think I may have overfilled mine, since it was at a slight angle toward the front when i did it. I don't have access to a friggen four post lift, and don't want to take it to a shop since I don't trust most. have to get creative or find someone I can trust.

I will try to drain any excess... hopefully will solve.