Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

P1615 :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM
iwasanaccident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1615 :(

I'll do both my introduction and my problem here, figured i'd make it easy for you guys.

I own a 2004 Nissan 350z Base Model (PPW), it has a little over 62,000 miles on it, bought it about 2 years ago.

DSC_0609copy.jpg?t=1312840648

DSC_0605.jpg?t=1312840647

The lens was a little messed up, that's why there is "spots" on the pictures.

I've been searching through these forums for the past year and never really registered until now.

I've been having the same problem over and over and over. I've searched this forum plus google multiple times and have found threads. People posted "fixes" but i've tried them and i'm still getting this error.

My car will go into limp mode. I'd have to pull over to the side of the road, or stop in the middle of the intersection, turn it off, start it, and drive away.

I have a spare key only which only unlocks it, and doesn't start it. I accidentally put that key in my ignition because i got them mixed up. Ever since than i've been getting this "P1615" code (NATS Malfunction). I'd drive my car and the red security light would be on.

I called Nissan, made an appointment to get my car re-programmed. Got it re-programmed, and bought a brand new key. I had them also re-program my spare and my key i was using. The manager told me all three of them worked, and were ready to go. Tried all of them before i left, and they worked. I asked the Technician Manager if they could use the code reader to see if any codes were building up in the back, and he gave me some excuse saying i had to pay 150.00 for them to read the codes. I wanted to make sure they did there job correctly. They said they drove my car around the block, tried to get the codes to come up, couldn't. Well first, i checked my mileage before i brought it in, and after. It was the same, so they obviously didn't "try" to get it to come up. 2 Days later, the code appeared again, limp mode started happening. I was told that they only re-programmed 2 of the keys, and the third one was bad...no one told me that. Called the manager, caught him saying two different things, brought it in, had them check the codes, then two codes appeared out of no where (P0507 - idle code? and P2135 - throttle position sensor?). He used Consult II to delete them. Before i left, i asked if he could check the codes and make sure nothing was running in the back, he did it and P1615 appeared. He said if it goes into limp mode, bring it back, will re-program for free. I said wtf, then went on my way, an hour later it happened again, my car turned off, blah blah, same **** different day.

Now there going to re-program my car for free when i make an appointment.

What i'm wondering is, has anyone had this problem. Is it my ignition area that's messing it up?

My battery is in perfect condition, my wires are connected correctly, nothing is loose. I've tried the ECU reset, i can't figure that out to save my life. They have even used Consult II to re-set my car and the code keeps coming back.

Would buying a push/start button make this problem go away?

Sorry for such a long write-up, i'm just so irritated with this whole situation i'm giong to explode.

tl;dr: P1615, how does one fix it?

Last edited by iwasanaccident; 04-30-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure all keys are programmed before you leave and start the car twice with each key because they will start once and not again if they didnt finish programming them. The idle issue and throttle position sounds like a throttle body. If thats the case then you can have them reprogram the throttle body or out can do it yourself without the consult II and hope that the throttle body isnt bad, but most of the time it is.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
lgear080

how long have you been having the issue?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
iwasanaccident

Originally Posted by redman333
Make sure all keys are programmed before you leave and start the car twice with each key because they will start once and not again if they didnt finish programming them. The idle issue and throttle position sounds like a throttle body. If thats the case then you can have them reprogram the throttle body or out can do it yourself without the consult II and hope that the throttle body isnt bad, but most of the time it is.
Well i checked the codes, the P2135 went away, and the P0507 will come on every so often, i didn't touch anything. I checked the codes before i brought it in, and after, and they either touched something, or dinked with it.

Originally Posted by lgear080
how long have you been having the issue?
Hmm, good question, i'd say about 3 months or so, it would come on, then go away, and now it's every 5 miles my car will shut off, start it, then it'll shut off right away.

It's a dangerous problem, and i want to get it fixed, but i literally have no idea what to do, since the dealership either messes up there programming, or they keep messing with something.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
lgear080

i'm at a loss. have you tried a new ecu?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
iwasanaccident

No i haven't. I figured i'd see if anyone knew of anything else that could possibly fix this problem before i had to replace any parts.

How much does that go for? 600 from the dealership?

I was just reading up on something that they did a change for the ECU program for the 2004s?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM
iwasanaccident

bump!

anyone got any ideas at all?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
engleman

Yes. I ran into the same code twice when I bought my Z a couple months ago. It stopped me at a gas station, I could crank it over but no ignition.

When I got back to the shop (im a Service Advisor), I started doing a little homework. Turns out the NATS system is built in to the Body Control Module. Now I don't work for Nissan, but if its anything like a Cadillac then when they "program" the BCM, they are simply registering the resistance value of that key to the BCM, and when it recognizes 'x' value, then it allows the engine to run.

My money is on your Body Control Module. Good luck.

ps: and tell the Service Manager that if he's giving the Z to the same technician, ask for a different one. That one is obviously lost.

Last edited by engleman; 08-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 PM
iwasanaccident

I recently deleted the codes, and right when i started it, the codes came back. It's not just a P2135, which is a P2135 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A / B Voltage Correlation

sooo, i'm going to try and switch out the Petal Position Sensor, and go from there, i'll update you guys in a week or two

thanks for your input engleman
Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Before switching out the pedel switches, did you try the recalibration procedure?

https://my350z.com/forum/6008226-post2.html
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 AM
iwasanaccident

UPDATE:

i replaced the TPS and it's still shutting off. The code is P2135, which is a throttle/pedal position sensor. It's obviously not the pedal position sensor. So my last guess is replacing the Throttle Body?

DavesZ: I've tried that soo many times and i can never get it. If there is a Pedal Position Sensor code, wouldn't that not allow me to do that? Also i replaced it, and it's not the Pedal Position Sensor, which tells me there is no point in doing that procedure?

EDIT: i tried the recalibration procedure and i can't get the light to flash, at all. I've tried it 10 times, with a stop watch.

Last edited by iwasanaccident; 09-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
iwasanaccident

anyone got any ideas?

is that procedure correct? is it possible if my throttle body was bad, that it wont let me access my computer, or the dealership locked me out of it?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Raceism

I'm having P1615 code issue as well but my car starts and drives fine. It goes away for few days and comes back. I've had local locksmith make me a key. They were having some problems programming the key at first but got it to work. I had to break that one in half for my new alarm system. I've seen others posting about their Z not starting at all or shutting off out of nowhere while driving...This code is annoying even though everything works in my Z...good luck!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM
iwasanaccident

Yeah, they've re-programmed it 3 times already, so i'm guessing they're not doing it correctly. I'm bringing it in again tomorrow and will see what happens from there, thanks again for your input though!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM
iwasanaccident

I know i'm bringing back my old thread, but it is still there.

I took it to the dealership, bought a new key, had it re-programmed, the mechanic checked his Consult II and right when i started it up it threw that code.

I replaced the whole pedal, the throttle body, and it still is having the same issue.

Also, my water level keeps going up and down every time i drive it. I replaced the thermostat a few months ago, it can't be that, unless thermostats can go bad that fast?