Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

OC Stock block rebuild question? Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 AM
citymunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OC Stock block rebuild question? Help needed.

As most of you know 2005, 2006 Rev-ups were plagued with Oil Consumption issues. My car was not of the lucky ones to be free of this problem. To get my G35 back on the road I'm looking to rebuild the short block me self with the help of my friend who is a been Infiniti/Nissan tech.

As a big DIY'er I done a lot wrench time on the VQ perform (6 years), I done just about everything but a short block tear down and rebuild. My old block has about 55,000 miles on it. I plan on replacing the piston rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, and what ever else Nissan says to replace after tear-down. I'm hoping everything is within specs to reduce time and money at a machine shop.

If this is a noob question, i'm sorry but here it is.
Can I use stock bore aftermarket piston rings be used on stock pistons (ie Cosworth, Wiseco, CP, rings) seeing that the OEM rings were the weak link to begin with? Or am I'm stuck using OEM piston rings? What about HR piston ring?

If anybody has any points, tips or links of VQ build please post them.

Also here is my tool shopping list:

-Piston ring compressor
-Piston ring expander
-Angle wrench
-inside micrometer
-outside micrometer
-bore gauge
-dial indicator
-Horing tool
Old 09-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a VQ40 with a MT from a Frontier or Xterra. Get ECU, engine harness. Rebuilding is more costly even if you DIY.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrei
Find a VQ40 with a MT from a Frontier or Xterra. Get ECU, engine harness. Rebuilding is more costly even if you DIY.
deck/heads is taller...I doubt it'll fit in his 350z, especially not with a 350z stock plenum. I could be wrong.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
citymunky

I guess I'll have to stick with OEM rings.

Why would I want to do that? I want to rebuild so I can learn how to how do it. I figure I try on a stock block before re-building my IPP crap block.

Last edited by citymunky; 09-05-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Andrei

Originally Posted by djamps
deck/heads is taller...I doubt it'll fit in his 350z, especially not with a 350z stock plenum. I could be wrong.
Yes it wont fit. The hood wont close and the plenum from a G or Z does not bolt up. But I would much rather cut that expensive aluminum hood and have a reliable HR block with VQ35DE heads without VVT on exhaust than keep that bastard Revup.

The Revup is good on paper but a miserable bastard in application form. No one even builds those here. The regular VQ is problematic enough.

And a G coupe/sedan/Z needs some proper low end torque from the VQ40.
Originally Posted by citymunky
I guess I'll have to stick with OEM rings.

Why would I want to do that? I want to rebuild so I can learn how to how do it. I figure I try on a stock block before re-building my IPP crap block.
Get Sealed Power plasma moly rings. Rev the **** out of it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-E-537K/ These would be nicer. Chromium Nitride. Not for 96mm though...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEP-JG4108-3661/
Pick from here.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Price|Desc

Last edited by Andrei; 09-05-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 AM
citymunky

Thanks, I'll look into it.

I got most of the shopping list done I just still need:

-bore gauge
-Horing tool (maybe)
and I might have to add a piston ring filer.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Yes it wont fit. The hood wont close and the plenum from a G or Z does not bolt up. But I would much rather cut that expensive aluminum hood and have a reliable HR block with VQ35DE heads without VVT on exhaust than keep that bastard Revup.

The Revup is good on paper but a miserable bastard in application form. No one even builds those here. The regular VQ is problematic enough.

And a G coupe/sedan/Z needs some proper low end torque from the VQ40.

Get Sealed Power plasma moly rings. Rev the **** out of it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-E-537K/ These would be nicer. Chromium Nitride. Not for 96mm though...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEP-JG4108-3661/
Pick from here.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Price|Desc
I am building my 06 revup and there are others here doing the same. Take a look in the NA build forum.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Andrei

Originally Posted by citymunky
Thanks, I'll look into it.

I got most of the shopping list done I just still need:

-bore gauge
-Horing tool (maybe)
and I might have to add a piston ring filer.
Yes a piston ring filler is necessary. Also make sure you sand the end of the ring after you file that end with a wet stone, to smooth out the edge, not where you filed but the edges. Put the piston ring in the bore sideways and turn it flat and push it in with a piston 2" inside the bore. Get a feeler gauge and check the gap where you filed. I would file to say... .0020". Get a magnifying glass to see the edge.

The piston to wall clearance should be tight. Like say you have pistons that are 3.779" and the cylinder sleeve is say... 3.999" that's too much clearance. I would make it tight. Tell the machine shop you want the sleeves to have a mild to low piston clearance. I would make it as tight as possible. On 3.779" pistons I would have the sleeves around 3.800".

Last edited by Andrei; 09-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.