Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Stock Oil Cooler Leak

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
  #1  
Black06350z
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Oil Cooler Leak

I just recently bought an 06, automatic, with about 115k miles.

I started seeing a few small drips every time I parked. After a few trips under the car, and some searching on this forum, I'm pretty sure that its coming from the stock oil cooler.

So a couple of questions. Is this a common area to have oil leaks, and what is the most common cause of the leak?
It sounds like a bad O-ring between the oil pan and oil cooler is the most common problem. I want to try to have the parts ready when I get under it again, Is this O-ring the only thing that's needed if that's the case? (this is of course assuming its the most common of the oil leaks).

Thanks!
Black06350z is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM
  #2  
ericjackson
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
ericjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: memphis tn
Posts: 1,255
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mine was loose. The thing threaded through the middle needed to be re-tourqed down. The part that the filter screws onto. But yes, other than that, there is a large o-ring that I would replace.
ericjackson is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM
  #3  
Black06350z
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ericjackson View Post
Mine was loose. The thing threaded through the middle needed to be re-tourqed down. The part that the filter screws onto. But yes, other than that, there is a large o-ring that I would replace.
What size is that piece, the bolt that the oil filter screws on to? It looks like one thread mentioned that its a larger than normal size, 22 or 24 mm I think.
Black06350z is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM
  #4  
ericjackson
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
ericjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: memphis tn
Posts: 1,255
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Black06350z View Post
What size is that piece, the bolt that the oil filter screws on to? It looks like one thread mentioned that its a larger than normal size, 22 or 24 mm I think.
yeah i just tq'ed mine back down when rebuilding my engine. it was 22mm im pretty sure. to like 35ft lbs. check the service manual to be sure
ericjackson is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
  #5  
Big-D28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Perris,CA
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i have that same problem...dealership put my car on lift for a full inspection and he told me to change the oil cooler seal which is a 3 dollar part shipped! and is the easiest to replace haha do it when u change the oil!. but i still have a leak i think its somewhere else dont listen to their 100 dollar quote for a fix that will take u half an hour and some elbow grease trust me! one bolt!
Big-D28 is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 AM
  #6  
rx50cent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Markham
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

the guy who did my oil change today said that the oil cooler seal is leaking and another pipe underneath it was rotten, and to replace both costs $160 not including the oil change itself. said he already did the oil change but needs to wait for parts from nissan, so i told them to wait and came here hoping to get some advice. if i decide to do this myself, will i have to drain engine oil? if oil needs to be drained do you think the shop really did my oil change today and drain it again few days later to change the seal? cause i already paid for the oil change, is there a way to tell if they've done the oil change already?
and just to make sure is this the correct seal? http://www.nedautoparts.com/products...et-nissan-350z
i heard that there are 2 seals should i just change both?
can someone direct me to a thread on how to change this seal preferably with pictures?
sorry about the long post and multiple questions. help is appreciated. thanks.
rx50cent is offline  
Old 12-30-2015, 06:12 PM
  #7  
Bak3rme
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 368
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rx50cent View Post
the guy who did my oil change today said that the oil cooler seal is leaking and another pipe underneath it was rotten, and to replace both costs $160 not including the oil change itself. said he already did the oil change but needs to wait for parts from nissan, so i told them to wait and came here hoping to get some advice. if i decide to do this myself, will i have to drain engine oil? if oil needs to be drained do you think the shop really did my oil change today and drain it again few days later to change the seal? cause i already paid for the oil change, is there a way to tell if they've done the oil change already?
and just to make sure is this the correct seal? http://www.nedautoparts.com/products...et-nissan-350z
i heard that there are 2 seals should i just change both?
can someone direct me to a thread on how to change this seal preferably with pictures?
sorry about the long post and multiple questions. help is appreciated. thanks.
any updates on this?
and also anyone know the torque spec for the oil filter screw?
Bak3rme is offline  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM
  #8  
Bak3rme
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 368
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

for those who have done this...does all the coolant come out of that hose? I don't want to buy another whole stock of coolant. does a little come out or all of it? thanks
Bak3rme is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
XM 1
Engine & Drivetrain
25
02-10-2019 09:58 AM
hajwoj
Autocross/Road
27
11-01-2015 05:25 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Oil Cooler Leak


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: