Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

humming noise on freeway.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM
sturman8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming noise on freeway.

ok so when im on the freeway i get a humming noise and when i accelerate it gets louder and has a tiny and i mean tiny vibration but as soon as i let off it quiets and vibration stops. i am pretty low on stance coilovers. just got new tires 1000 miles ago. could it be that i need an alignment or is that normal. also could it be the tires? thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by sturman8r
could it be that i need an alignment. also could it be the tires?
Yes and yes.

Jack your car up and check for play on the wheels. Side to side (9 o'clock to 3 o'clock) and up and down (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock). If there's any play, report back. Could be a ball joint, wheel bearing, bunch of stuff. Also, check the condition of your CV boots.

I'd start with an alignment though, especially since you changed your car's stance and you're getting shaking after a certain speed.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:19 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sturman8r
ok so when im on the freeway i get a humming noise and when i accelerate it gets louder and has a tiny and i mean tiny vibration but as soon as i let off it quiets and vibration stops. i am pretty low on stance coilovers. just got new tires 1000 miles ago. could it be that i need an alignment or is that normal. also could it be the tires? thanks
You didn't specify the car..if it has VDC and is out of alignment, then your slip light/VDC OFF light could be be triggered. Had it happen to me after changing suspension. Toe was off in the rear. You should check alignment whenever making a suspension change. Tire design could cause humming as well.