Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

08 350z slave cylinder problems roll call

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
IfastR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 350z slave cylinder problems roll call

Soooo I just turned 38k on my 08 and the slave cylinder died (I think at least). I was driving my car and I could feel the pedal drastically changing and by the time I got to work it didn't want to come out of gear. I went back out after work and I had NO clutch pedal and the car wouldn't go in gear at all. I went to the dealership and the service manager told me this wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty BEFORE they even looked at the car. So either this is very common and they know it, which is BS or they are just out to screw you regardless. This is very frustrating and unacceptable. I haven't heard back from them yet so we'll see how it goes.

Sooooo how many 08 guys have had this problem, at how many miles and how many times?? I've seen quite a few threads and we should stand up for ourselves and our pockets lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks bro. The only TSB that I know of is on the 07's. I had a spongy clutch during my first AZ summer here. It was about 120 during the day and I went WOT at about 4krpm, then as I was about to shift into second, BAM, grinded real bad. IMHO, the problem was the fluid getting way too hot. I never had any problems since. Anyways, I tried getting warranty also on my slave cylinder after this happened, but Nissan USA said that my vin doesn't fall under any tsb's. I know I had an 08, but it was a worth a shot. Try a different dealership to see what they can do. If not, it's time to upgrade to a ZSpeed HD Slave.

Here's a link: https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...or-hr-vhr.html

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
IfastR

I'm aware of the 07's getting a recall. I'm curious to see how many 08's are having problems.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I blew mine out a few months ago in my 08 and was told by my ford waranty AND nissan waranty that it would not be covered.

Had to drop the tranny and replace it with the Zspeed HD CSC. I am NOT dropping the transmission again to replace a POS plastic CSC...the Zspeed one is much better and from what i have heard "fail-proof"

As a word of advice if your doing it yourself, take the master out when you swap out your slave for the new one and clean it really good. Fluid gets really dirty once you blow the slave and that stuff gets all over the place. Easier to do it all at once while the car is in the air.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Kcee91

Originally Posted by Junkster
I blew mine out a few months ago in my 08 and was told by my ford waranty AND nissan waranty that it would not be covered.

Had to drop the tranny and replace it with the Zspeed HD CSC. I am NOT dropping the transmission again to replace a POS plastic CSC...the Zspeed one is much better and from what i have heard "fail-proof"

As a word of advice if your doing it yourself, take the master out when you swap out your slave for the new one and clean it really good. Fluid gets really dirty once you blow the slave and that stuff gets all over the place. Easier to do it all at once while the car is in the air.
^ +1, Btw Junkster, how are you liking the setup compared to stock?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Kcee91

Originally Posted by IfastR
I'm aware of the 07's getting a recall. I'm curious to see how many 08's are having problems.
There's a thread on here regarding the 08 transmission.

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/3931...-issues-3.html
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by Kcee91
^ +1, Btw Junkster, how are you liking the setup compared to stock?
Its good, i havent been able to really beat on it as much as i have wanted to due to school and stuff but i did do one drift day on the HD slave and it seemed to do good.

I was having issues with bleeding the clutch at the time so i started getting wierd pedal feal and i cut my day short. I gravity bled the system about a month ago and it was perfect after i took the master apart and cleaned it like i mentioned above.

However this past weekend it started feeling like i got air in the line again which is starting to make me believe that my master needs to be replaced. I am going to replace the master or replace the seals in it, whatever is easiest to come by locally. Hopefully after that i can stop having issues with my clutch feel, to be honest the design is a huge pain to bleed. Gravity bleed is the best way to do it and i wish someone had told me before i spend HOURS trying to do it the conventional way (pump pedal and release with bleeder valve). Gravity bleeding takes a fraction of the time and works wayyyyyyy better, so make note of that haha...

There are quite a few threads on here reporting the same bleeding issues i was having, I just wish i would have searched more lol

Last edited by Junkster; 02-15-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
IfastR

Not the same....
Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Kcee91

My b, wrong thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...h-or-both.html

Funi2942 had a similar problem.

Here's another thread about the cylinder.

https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z/...-0277-a-4.html

Here are some videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg_XhXf1bAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEd-e...eature=related
Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Junkster

^ Thats the same issue i was having. Mine blew up quick though, had to get the car towed, i barelly was able to get to the pits before i lost all pressure hahaa.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
SE5spd

I blew up my slave, im an 07 though and got it covered under warranty without a problem

carry on.. lol
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not certain how valuable this roll call will be but..

It is frustrating that the 350Z experiences repetitive problems that Nissan fails to address:

Window motors
Audio system that either the head unit or speakers go out
Body hardware: door handles, hatch latch
Squeaks and rattles

Yes the 350Z/370Z is more or less reliable than other vehicles, but when Nissan sees a reliability trend, but fails to address it, that is inexcusable.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM
IfastR

Originally Posted by davidv
Not certain how valuable this roll call will be but..

It is frustrating that the 350Z experiences repetitive problems that Nissan fails to address:

Window motors
Audio system that either the head unit or speakers go out
Body hardware: door handles, hatch latch
Squeaks and rattles

Yes the 350Z/370Z is more or less reliable than other vehicles, but when Nissan sees a reliability trend, but fails to address it, that is inexcusable.
I'm trying to make this proactive but we'll see I suppose. I honestly don't care what happened to whoevers 07 since its been taken care of. Anyway, you hit the nail on the head... Window motors failing non stop and slave cylinders dying multiple times before 40k is absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable. We are the only ones that can do anything about it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
MatadorZ33

I'm not having any slave cylinder issues or transmission whining noises but I am having the clunky rattling noise when the clutch is pushed in coming out of first. Its quite annoying because if I'm driving through a parking lot and have to get on and off the clutch a lot as I navigate through it makes a loud POP rattle noise after every other time I push the clutch in.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
08NismoZ

I have an OS Giken triple disc with the ZSpeed HD CSC installed when I had about 12k miles on my Z. The ZSpeed is worth the money and i've beat the crap out of my clutch haha. I ran an 11.58sec 1/4 mile and did a couple of HPDE events. Even if Nissan does replace the CSC they're just going to put another crappy plastic one right back in.

Last edited by 08NismoZ; 02-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
350zeemy

This just happened to me today! I have an '08 and im at 38k as well. I came back out from having lunch with a friend, and when i started the car, realized there was no pressure and could not shift into gears. I'm crossing fingers my extended warranty covers this.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
08NismoZ

I don't know man. Nissan considers the CSC to be a wear item which is generally not covered under a warranty, like brake pads.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM
IfastR

except a CMC or CSC aren't like brake pads lol. Mine ended up being the CMC and the extended warranty fixed it.

Last edited by IfastR; 04-05-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM
IfastR

update.... Well my clutch pedal started sticking to the floor again. I'm taking it to a different Nissan location, maybe they can actually fix the car. As I pulled into the dealership I completely lost the pedal lol.

I'm beyond annoyed with this problem. I really like the car in general but I'd like to take track it sometimes but it can't handle being driven like a baby. I'm averaging 22-23mpg right now so its not like I'm hard on the car, very frustrated with this.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MatadorZ33
I'm not having any slave cylinder issues or transmission whining noises but I am having the clunky rattling noise when the clutch is pushed in coming out of first. Its quite annoying because if I'm driving through a parking lot and have to get on and off the clutch a lot as I navigate through it makes a loud POP rattle noise after every other time I push the clutch in.
Mine makes a popping sound too usually when I get into gear and release the clutch. Dealer said it was the Throwout Bearing? But it is still transmission related and said they would have to take the transmission apart to replace the part. Not sure if it's related to the CMC

Quick Reply: 08 350z slave cylinder problems roll call