Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Weird noise before oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 AM
UNTAMED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise before oil change

Whenever it gets close to the time I need to change the oil (currently at 4k) on my 06 Z it starts making a weird noise when I accelerate. The noise can only be described as a "muted" machine gun once it's run out of bullets. It always goes away as soon as I change the oil but I won't have time for a few days. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Probably lifters. What's your oil level at? You might be burning oil, and after 4k miles it gets low. You should check your oil once a week.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
juelz86z3303

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UNTAMED
Whenever it gets close to the time I need to change the oil (currently at 4k) on my 06 Z it starts making a weird noise when I accelerate. The noise can only be described as a "muted" machine gun once it's run out of bullets. It always goes away as soon as I change the oil but I won't have time for a few days. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!
honestly this is a bearing bout to be spun.... the only way is to stop driving an have an alternative way to drive { sencond car and rebuild ur motor ). Ask me how i know, my 350 made it to 228,476 and i heard the same low pitch machine noise coming from the bellhousing. COME TO FIND I SPUN A ROD TRYING TO MAKE IT TO THE SHOP.. REMIND YOU THESE WERE MY SYMPTOMS BE FORE IT LOCKED UP ON ME.
OIL PRESSURE LOW CAR WILL STUDDER AS IF IT WANTS TO STALL WIT OIL LIGHT BLINKING 3 TIMES OR JUST STAY STEADY. WHEN COMING TO A STOP.
CAR WILL STALL ON START UP
MOST WOULD THINK ITS Ckp or bad ground nope its a bearing.. look into it.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
juelz86z3303

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UNTAMED

Thanks!
honestly this is a bearing bout to be spun.... the only way is to stop driving an have an alternative way to drive { sencond car and rebuild ur motor ). Ask me how i know, my 350 made it to 228,476 and i heard the same low pitch machine noise coming from the bellhousing. COME TO FIND I SPUN A ROD TRYING TO MAKE IT TO THE SHOP.. REMIND YOU THESE WERE MY SYMPTOMS BE FORE IT LOCKED UP ON ME.
OIL PRESSURE LOW CAR WILL STUDDER AS IF IT WANTS TO STALL WIT OIL LIGHT BLINKING 3 TIMES OR JUST STAY STEADY. WHEN COMING TO A STOP.
CAR WILL STALL ON START UP
MOST WOULD THINK ITS CRANK POSITION SENSOR OR BAD GROUND. NOPE. BE
Old 03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
CTS13

Ticking is a sign of low oil or pressure. You are most likely burning oil and to be 100% certain if thats the case, simply drain oil and see how much comes out. Should be 1.5 quarts if that, if burning oil is the case.