Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

The Definitive Guide to Fixing the Rear Rattle / Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
cata_mahu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It-s the O ring from some injectors, I don't know how durable they are to the mechanical load in that area...
But I will make for sure some more resistant spacers. I think the most appropriate material is high density polyurethane. Even though from copper would be easier to manufacture, I worry about making that point very rigid. I think I should allow some elasticity for dilatation and stuff.
Why they made that hole bigger in the first place, there should be a reason for sure. That's why I am reluctant to fill it with metal spacer.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM
08EG

Originally Posted by gt3
No I meant the space above the shock once installed. It is the area in the rear strut bar which I think may cause sound to resonate and become louder.
Sorry for being so confused. So, you mean you put extra carpeting inside the cabin of the car above the wheel well? I guess I really just dont understand how shocks, struts, and this stuff connects?

Not sure where the "space above the shock" would be.

Last edited by 08EG; 11-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by 08EG
Sorry for being so confused. So, you mean you put extra carpeting inside the cabin of the car above the wheel well? I guess I really just dont understand how shocks, struts, and this stuff connects?

Not sure where the "space above the shock" would be.
No problem. See the attached photo. I mean the space inside this hole. I would stuff some sound deadening material in there.
Attached Thumbnails The Definitive Guide to Fixing the Rear Rattle / Clunk Noise-img_0317.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM
08EG

Originally Posted by gt3
No problem. See the attached photo. I mean the space inside this hole. I would stuff some sound deadening material in there.

Ahh...amazing. Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
ozakayu

thanks!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
08EG

Originally Posted by gt3
I have had a very annoying and rather loud noise coming from the passenger side of the rear strut bar shortly after reinstalling a set of 08 OEM struts and springs. The noise almost sound like the rear of the car is loose and will come apart!

The sound is very similar to what others have recorded:

VIDEO1 by forged93

VIDEO2 by Carlili4190

As you can hear, the rattling noise can be fairly high pitched and seems to be coming from the interior but after removing all the interior plastic trim pieces and using dynomat/sound proofing foam, I realized that the noise only sounds like it is coming from the interior but really is coming from the suspension.

I have been following closely on the forum especially this epic thread LINK

Like others in that thread, I have tried various fixes without success. I have just learned to accept and live with it (mostly by turning up the stereo). But today I made a last ditch comprehensive effort to correct the problem and it worked! I think my ears can't believe how quiet the rear is now! I tried various fixes to no avail. I think the solution has been so elusive because:

1) Due to the design of the 350Z, especially how the top of rear struts enter into the cabin, even small suspension noises can resonate and be amplified. Also, there really is not a lot of sound proofing in the rear. The Z is therefore very prone to noise issues coming from the rear.

2) As many people on the forum have described, the problem can be temperature sensitive (e.g worse during cold temperature)

3) There can be more than one source for noise in addition to the suspension. In the past I have tried to correct one potential problem only to find that the fix did not work because there are still other sources of noise that I failed to do at the same time.
What was the "last ditch effort" you made?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by 08EG
What was the "last ditch effort" you made?
The one that I think really helped was the spacer for the bolt that goes through the hole in the rear strut.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
08EG

Smile

Originally Posted by gt3
The one that I think really helped was the spacer for the bolt that goes through the hole in the rear strut.
Awesome .. thank you!

Does anyone know the actual size/dimension of the washer we would need to buy or actual technical name of the spacer to fill the space in the fork and bolt?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 AM
cata_mahu

The bolt is 9.7 mm in diameter and the hole is 15.5 mm. Get used to the metric system, I'm an European )
There is no name for the spacer as it is not specifically produced by someone for this use. Use your imagination and waht you have at hand. Reinforced rubber tube, polyurethane etc. I used some injector's o-rings form the Nissan shop.

Last edited by cata_mahu; 01-27-2013 at 12:01 AM.