Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Valve Lifter issues (cam followers) Engine Gurus chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Zachattack615

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve Lifter issues (cam followers) Engine Gurus chime in!

2003 G35 coupe
Vq35de
6spd

I bought this car with this tick and I am really wanting to fix it for good its annoying first of all second it cant be good. I have verified that it is the valve lifter lash making the noise.

I have also searched up and down and thank you for the good information i have already gained from here!

I have been messing with this car for a few days now and I have measured everything at least three times and checked my math several times. I have a pretty solid Honda background so i'm new to all this complicated quad cam timing chain stuff but i can manage that. My real issue is i have about 8 lifters out of spec and they have been that way since i bought my car. 2 of the lifters i can get replacements for the rest are too big of gap i assume and they don't make them sooo what causes the larger gaps and how do i go about getting my car back on the road? I'm about to upload my spec sheets i have if that will help any.

the Attatchments are pretty self explanatory the first one is valve lash and lifter thickness the second one is my math to figure out my new lifter thickness.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I was sent over here from g35driver btw

Last edited by Zachattack615; 05-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Zachattack615

no input? yet? any info would be appreciated
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no expert but if the gap is too large it is probably due to worn out cam shafts, perhaps due to oil starvation at some point. That was your question, right?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

are the cam bores in spec? measure the cam its likely its out of spec and will need replacement like djamps already mentioned. its one of the two im betting cams themselves though.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:29 PM
Geroge

Default Lifter

Originally Posted by jerryd87
are the cam bores in spec? measure the cam its likely its out of spec and will need replacement like djamps already mentioned. its one of the two im betting cams themselves though.
Please if anyone sees this I have some questions I could really use help on so I bought a g35 with a ticking noise tore it apart and measured the gap between the lifter and cam and it’s to big to buy a replacement lifter I also measured the cam itself and it is well within spec what else could it be? Is there anything I can do to solve this?!? Please help and information is appreciated
Old 02-03-2020, 03:11 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Geroge
Please if anyone sees this I have some questions I could really use help on so I bought a g35 with a ticking noise tore it apart and measured the gap between the lifter and cam and it’s to big to buy a replacement lifter I also measured the cam itself and it is well within spec what else could it be? Is there anything I can do to solve this?!? Please help and information is appreciated
What sizes did you record ?

Were the heads worked on at all ?
If they did, I wonder if someone forgot to put the washers in under the springs.