Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

clutch noise, stalling & clutch burning

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 PM
momukhamo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch noise, stalling & clutch burning

hello, my clutch started making noise today when im pressing on the clutch its like a high pitch squeeling noise and when i release the clutch it goes away and i smell the clutch burning. and when stopping my car stalls. clutch noise i've been hearing it for a while now especially in the morning. today it got worse i changed my clutch around 50k competition stage 1 now i have 110k.

any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the release bearing is going on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your clutch isn't releasing fully, that's why the car is stalling and you smell the clutch burning. As Joe mentioned your noise is coming from the bearing, if it's collapsing and not moving the pressure plate fingers far enough, it will not release the clutch and cause all of your issues.

If for some reason you had clutch release issues before, i'd suggest you look at the hydraulic system. Might not be the worst idea to change the slave/master at this time anyway, but that's your call.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
momukhamo

thanks guys i changed my slave cylinder already n clutch line too. i took a video of it and showed it to this mechanic around my area that really knos Z he said its the throw out bearing and he advised me to replace my clutch n flywheel since they instead of just the bearing. like i said i changed my clutch before around 50k now i have 100k. it never really felt good though the competition clutch. shop around here gave me a price 1400 for a new clutch n flywheel forgot the name jim wolf i think? labor included. really appreciate your help guys.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM
momukhamo

my issues with my clutch was in winter i cant get my car to first gear in the morning or reverse its so stiff. or in summer after a while driving shifting to first gets stiff also. thats when i changed my slave it help a lil bit. im starting to think now maybe when i changed my clutch it wasnt installed properly or something..
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by momukhamo
my issues with my clutch was in winter i cant get my car to first gear in the morning or reverse its so stiff. or in summer after a while driving shifting to first gets stiff also. thats when i changed my slave it help a lil bit. im starting to think now maybe when i changed my clutch it wasnt installed properly or something..
What year is your car and what clutch did you put in?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 AM
momukhamo

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
What year is your car and what clutch did you put in?
2003 around 50k competition clutch was installed. then after a while i changed my fluids then clutch line and this summer slave cylinder. it never felt smooth i always stiff or grinding in first gear. i have 100k + mileage now.

this shop i went to said they can just change the throw out bearing but i should think about changing the clutch and flywheel.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by momukhamo
2003 around 50k competition clutch was installed. then after a while i changed my fluids then clutch line and this summer slave cylinder. it never felt smooth i always stiff or grinding in first gear. i have 100k + mileage now.

this shop i went to said they can just change the throw out bearing but i should think about changing the clutch and flywheel.
Since you have an 2003 you need to change the clutch fork over to the cast iron fork from the later models. This is what is causing the poor clutch release, grinding gears ect when its cold and stiff gear changes.

You can read about it here Heavy Duty Clutch Fork Kit

I would probably change the clutch while you're in there, No use in pulling the trans with over 60k on the clutch and not changing it.

If you need help with a clutch I can help, Just give me a call or PM.