Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Issues / Motor Working Fine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Gozirra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Issues / Motor Working Fine

Hey fellas,

I've got yet another driver side window problem. This window has given me too much grief over the past two years and now its at it again.. at the coldest time!

Right. Ive had the motor get stuck. Took it out. Cleaned it. Worked fine for about 8 months. Started working real slow, etc, but still working.

Recently, window just dropped down little by little over the course of 5 min., till it went all the way down. Couldnt get it back up.

Took the door apart, cleaned the motor again. Hooked the motor up with the door apart, and it works fine. Greased up the tracks (or whatever theyre called, the white bars that guide the window). Put it all back together

Heres the situation:

If I roll the window down, sometimes it wont go up, get stuck, etc. Im scared to roll it down because its cold as ***** around here and I wake up way early and have to drive on the highway to work. It's not a big deal right now, just a nuissance (drive through, etc) but it will really aggravate me in the spring and summer.

Can someone help me out? Im so done with this door and window its a b*tch to take apart I have no idea what else to do.

Thanks in advance,

Leon
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Gozirra

Anyone know what it might be? Do I have to go to a dealer?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I experienced what you describe. I pulled the window motor, cleaned it, and re-installed. Worked fine for 6 months, and then started acting up again (wouldn’t roll up every time, as you mention).

The fix was replacing the window motor with a new one. Cleaning the motor is only a temporary repair.

--Spike
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by Spike100
I experienced what you describe. I pulled the window motor, cleaned it, and re-installed. Worked fine for 6 months, and then started acting up again (wouldn’t roll up every time, as you mention).

The fix was replacing the window motor with a new one. Cleaning the motor is only a temporary repair.

--Spike
Thanks for the reply, I did test the motor while it was out though and it worked fine, so that makes me think it's not the motor but something else in the assembly.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM
davidcook350Z

I had the same problem. I just replaced my motor. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not, then over the course of time it got really weak. You can test the motor all you want while it is out, that does not mean it will hold a load though. Every since I replaced the motor a few days ago everything works fine.

If your window gets stuck up or down, just give the bottom of your door a few good kicks while you are holding the button and you should be able to get it up or down.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Spike100

Gozirra, Our problem description is still parallel and identical. When I pulled my non-functioning window motor, it worked fine when bench testing. I cleaned it and reinstalled the motor, and it worked for 6 months, and then would not consistently roll up the window.

I removed the motor a second time and bench-tested. It worked fine. So although it worked outside the door, it was apparent that it was too weak when installed to lift the glass. Cleaning the motor made it work, but just for a short time.

I think we are both correct. The assembly is the problem because the original window motor becomes weak with age and “crud-buildup.” Cleaning the motor helps, but only extends its usefulness a few months (which shortens with each removal/cleaning).

It’s a lot of work removing, cleaning, and re-installing the window motor; especially when the result is worse with each repair.

Get a new window motor and end the problem. I’m glad I finally did this.

--Spike
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Gozirra

Ah I see what you mean, I am sure youre right. I have wondered if the motor is too weak because the window started rolling up more and more slowly over time. The only motors for sale that I've found are refurbished ones from autozone which fail after a few months. Do you remember where you got yours?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
davidcook350Z

I did not want a refurbished one so I sucked it up and paid the 230 dollars for OEM. I think I got it from partsgeek, that’s the cheapest place I found.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Spike100

I purchased the new window motor from the dealership. I did not want a rebuilt motor since this would be the same as I already had when cleaning my existing motor (and that didn't fix the problem).

This was awhile ago so I do not remeber the exact price for the window motor. To the best of my recollection, it was under $300.

--Spike
Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Gozirra

Any tips on how to realign the window? Mine doesnt roll up right and lets a lot of noise through
Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
davidcook350Z

try this.. https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...procedure.html
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by davidcook350Z
Thanks man. Ive done that so the window can be raised automatically without a problem, but my problem is that we took the whole window out and when we put it in we must not have aligned it right and theres a slight gap like on the side of the window which makes a really annoying sound on the highway haha

Last edited by Gozirra; 01-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Spike100

^^ Are you certain you have the correct glass (window)?

Different years have different curvature.

--Spike
Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Gozirra

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Are you certain you have the correct glass (window)?

Different years have different curvature.

--Spike
Lol yes its the original window. It sealed fine before
Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Eli Torok

Can anyone help me, i'm a noob to the forums. My right driver window has a side gap luckily the rubber is keeping the water out but damn it's loud in the cabin. Can anyone guide me through how to adjust it?