Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Windshield Wiper Streaking after replacing blades

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
albertsZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Streaking after replacing blades

I have replaced my windshield wipers twice. The first time was because my wipers were obviously old. After replacing it with a RainX blade (their budget one) it was still streaking and I thought it was because it was a cheaper blade. So I went out and bought a RainX latitude and i am still getting a streak on the driver side, passenger side is perfect. Does anyone know why I am streaking? Maybe improper installation? I am thinking the whole wiper assembly might have fallen out of place? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I’ve had this same experience a few times before. Typically it’s caused by a micro layer of some waxy substance that has become bonded to the glass. Household glass cleaners won’t touch this stuff. I have some ‘Detailer’s Pro Krystal Glass Cleaner’, but any of the more pro (and expensive) cleaners from an auto supply will work.

I use balled up newspaper and scrub and scrub on the streaky areas. I’m a determined little b!tch, and I’ll go after one little spot for 10 minutes if I have to. I always win, and am rewarded with a perfectly streak free windshield.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Suwaidi

1. I'd recommend the Bosch Icons over the Rainx Latitudes for future reference. I've ran the Latitudes in the past, and:

a) Rear wiper fell off during the winter - The Bosch Icons have a locking mechanism that prevents this
b) Not as quiet as the Bosch Icon
c) Price is about the same, a bit higher for the Icons

- If you signup to Autozone Rewards you get a $10 off your next $50 purchase.

2. With that being said, as ^ mentioned use a better glass cleaner. I like the Chemical Guys Window Clean (DetailedImage.com is a forum sponsor, check out the detailing section for any promo codes that might pop up), but I've used Stoners Invisible Glass with no issues at the moment (had some streaking before).

Going after one little spot is nothing. Try using your phones flashlight after cleaning your car at night to find any streaks/spots on the windows

Last edited by Suwaidi; 01-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

You might also think about using a clay bar on your windshield. That will remove all of the contaminants.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
I’ve had this same experience a few times before. Typically it’s caused by a micro layer of some waxy substance that has become bonded to the glass. Household glass cleaners won’t touch this stuff. I have some ‘Detailer’s Pro Krystal Glass Cleaner’, but any of the more pro (and expensive) cleaners from an auto supply will work.

I use balled up newspaper and scrub and scrub on the streaky areas. I’m a determined little b!tch, and I’ll go after one little spot for 10 minutes if I have to. I always win, and am rewarded with a perfectly streak free windshield.
goddamned sometimes you make me laugh. I can see you scrubbing your little @$$ off with newspaper.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
You might also think about using a clay bar on your windshield. That will remove all of the contaminants.
Good info guys, I need to do both of these things more often
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
albertsZ

Thanks for all of the tips. It couldn't be a problem with the wipers themselves right? I thought they might have been misaligned or something with the windshield. Now that I think about it my windshield isn't OEM and has been replaced....