Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

If you need any welding tips or advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Engloid

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you need any welding tips or advice...

I've been welding for over 20 yrs, and had a lot of experiences and certifications. If you have something you want to weld and don't know how to do it, what gas to use, process, or anything, I will try to help. If you just like welding and are trying to get better at it, post up pictures of your work and I will give tips.

BTW, if there is a better suited category for this, please move the post.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I bought a cheap arc welder, splattered some boogers, and gave up shortly after. I think I need something better. Thanks for making a 'help' thread as this would benefit those getting into the skill.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Engloid

I will see if I can find some pictures of my work. I used to have them all over the internet, but I guess they were hosted on my old comcast server, so they aren't available anymore.

And now, I work in a govt plant where we aren't even allowed to have our cellphones...so can't take pictures of the work I do there or the "men in black" will come to get me.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM
ducky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah....it is you I posted in your other thread. Gentlemen this guy is legit...he's a master Jedi when it comes to this. I remember following his posts/threads years ago about fabbing. Truly an honor to have you aboard...
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Engloid

Originally Posted by ducky
ah....it is you I posted in your other thread. Gentlemen this guy is legit...he's a master Jedi when it comes to this. I remember following his posts/threads years ago about fabbing. Truly an honor to have you aboard...
Thanks for the compliment. Where was it you saw my posts before? I used to do a lot of posting on z31.com back when I had 300zx's.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my kids are in school full time, I am going to learn how to weld. I had a machinist at my old job try and teach me but we never had time beyond the first time.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
ducky

Originally Posted by Engloid
Thanks for the compliment. Where was it you saw my posts before? I used to do a lot of posting on z31.com back when I had 300zx's.
Actually it was a non-nissan site. Saw your work on pirate4x4, Honda and homemade turbo, also your website when it was active....
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been welding for over 20 yrs, and had a lot of experiences and certifications. If you have something you want to weld and don't know how to do it, what gas to use, process, or anything, I will try to help. If you just like welding and are trying to get better at it, post up pictures of your work and I will give tips.

BTW, if there is a better suited category for this, please move the post.
How much exp do you have with TIG? I have pretty good exp with a stick and MIG but am learning ways to improve using a TIG welder, any tips?. It's just so much more craftier, I enjoy it the most out of the three.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Engloid

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
How much exp do you have with TIG? I have pretty good exp with a stick and MIG but am learning ways to improve using a TIG welder, any tips?. It's just so much more craftier, I enjoy it the most out of the three.
I've got quite a bit of TIG experience. I started back about 1987. I did find a few pictures of some of my work. Most of it's a few years old, at least.

In order:
1) DC aluminum TIG on a wave guide (microwave vacuum oven setup)
2) Stainless steel, 308, 2" pipe
3) Same as 2
4) This was some piping I put into a papermill, if I remember right, it was 8 and 10 inch.
5) Same as 4
6) A vacuum oven, about 3ft diameter, vacuum chamber type of stuff
7) This was a nitrogen station that I built at a steel mill.
8) This was also at the steel mill. I had to build new piping to tie into the existing equipment
9) Another of the back side of the nitrogen station
10) DC aluminum TIG
Attached Thumbnails If you need any welding tips or advice...-021909_1142-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-032709_1519-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-032709_1521-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-051600_1547-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-051600_1549-00-.jpg  

If you need any welding tips or advice...-051900_1952-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-071709_0725-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-071709_0726-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-071709_0729-00-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-080709_1206-01-.jpg  

Last edited by Engloid; 03-02-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Engloid

Here's a few more...

in order:
1) AC aluminum TIG
2) This was a cyclone that helped remove sand from saltwater. It was made of 254SMO material, welded with Hastelloy.
3) Copper-Nickel (95/5) TIG welded
4) Full penetration root pass inside a 6in carbon steel pipe, TIG welded.
5) Part of an X-pipe I made years ago
6) This bmp file, for some reason won't show as thumbnail. This is a 254SMO 2" socket weld fitting. I wasn't quite done with it when the picture was taken. I still put one more stringer around the top.
Attached Thumbnails If you need any welding tips or advice...-080709_1206-01-.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-cyclone5.jpg.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-dscf0012.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-dscf0068.jpg   If you need any welding tips or advice...-dscf0292.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled4.bmp (900.1 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by Engloid; 03-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM
ducky

never ceases to amaze me when I see your work. Your welds look better than a robot's.
great stuff sir!!! I'm sure we will learn a lot from you.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I am going to learn how to weld.
Step 1. buy a welder
Step 2. buy scrap metal
Step 3. learn…

I got a question for the jedi master…

Looking to weld a few aluminum AN fittings to a steel pipe…best way?…I cannot do this, I have a miller suitcase w/a roll of flux core…but I'm assuming it's possible and 'about' what should I expect to pay someone to do this?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Engloid

Originally Posted by bealljk
Step 1. buy a welder
Step 2. buy scrap metal
Step 3. learn…

I got a question for the jedi master…

Looking to weld a few aluminum AN fittings to a steel pipe…best way?…I cannot do this, I have a miller suitcase w/a roll of flux core…but I'm assuming it's possible and 'about' what should I expect to pay someone to do this?
It can be done with MIG, but TIG is going to be best for it, since it's just a couple of them. If you were doing these for a production company, I'd look at perfecting the MIG on it, to make them look good and still be quick and solid. However, for a couple of them, I'd reccomend TIG.

To weld a couple of them on a pipe, will probably take about an hr by the time you figure setup, setting machine, cleaning, and cleanup. How much you will pay will vary greatly...by location, and skill of the welder. I mean, if you knew 100% they would be done right and look great, you probably woudn't have a problem paying $100 to have it done, would you? Odds are, it won't be that much. Therefore, I'd just be very selective as to who you have do it. Make sure you see some of their other work, expecially some AC aluminum. My best guess would be that you will wind up paying about $40-75. Anything under $40 and I would have to wonder why it's so cheap. You know the old "too good to be true" thing. Perhaps the guy isn't worth crap and he's not really worth that.

Let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work in the hydraulic/motion control industry and I recognize great work when I see it!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
b18ccivics

glad to see you are on here, I have been recently trying to weld some aluminum with no luck. I keep getting contamination. Going to change tanks again to see if that helps. Changed everything else twice with no luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Engloid

Originally Posted by b18ccivics
glad to see you are on here, I have been recently trying to weld some aluminum with no luck. I keep getting contamination. Going to change tanks again to see if that helps. Changed everything else twice with no luck.
Good to see some Honda guys get better cars once they can afford them. A true sign of intelligence.
The funny thing...I just got my 350z almost 2 months ago. Guys at work think I'm some kind of rich guy now...but many of them drive trucks and Hondas that cost them more than my Z cost me.

Contamination can be several things. Usually, it's a problem with gas coverage. Most often, beginners will tend to "long arc" at times, pulling away from the weld, not keeping proper arc length, which can result in contamination.

It can also be caused b dirty base or filler metal, contamination inside the cup or gas lens (usually indicated by smoke coming out of them when hot).

The lease common cause is dirty gas.

You are using 100% argon, or 75% argon/25% helium, correct?

Last edited by Engloid; 03-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Engloid

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I used to work in the hydraulic/motion control industry and I recognize great work when I see it!
Thanks. I've done it so long, it gets a bit boring at times, but I'm at a point now where it's all about the money to me. I invest money best I can, because I know welding won't ever make me a rich guy...but wise investments may.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. I've done it so long, it gets a bit boring at times, but I'm at a point now where it's all about the money to me. I invest money best I can, because I know welding won't ever make me a rich guy...but wise investments may.
Dude those were some clean beads, good work!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Engloid

Thanks. I wish I could take pics of recebt welds at work....doing three inch carbon steel...all TIG.

Quick Reply: If you need any welding tips or advice...