Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

those cursed window motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolando
I have a problem with mine as well. except when I roll it all the way up, it rolls about a quarter of the way back down on its own. had it checked out by a friend who works at nissan and I was told I just need to buy a new one. they charge over $200 for a new window motor!
Originally Posted by bjr
Your friend must not be one of the mechanics - at least I hope not
You need to reset it --->https://my350z.com/forum/5779726-post17.html
+1 on reset procedure. Take fancy door panel off. Close door. Roll window all the way up, even it goes down half way on it's own. Use the butt end of a screw driver to push in the rest button. They are stiff and you probably won't be able to do it with your finger. While depressing it, roll the window all the way down. Don't use the auto-down feature from the door switch either. This is the reset procedure in a nut shell...
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YardieXplorer
Resetting is not a permanent fix. When I reset mine, (I have the same issue) it last for maybe 2 weeks then revert to rolling back down. I have a new motor sitting down but these freezing temps have not allowed me to swap it out.

Btw I also picked my motor up from a buddy at the Nissan dealership for $50 who also has suggested to replace the motor
Interesting problem. Maybe the timing gears inside are stripped or the case is falling apart?
I had one motor that acted strange and did random things after it had been in the car for a few months and when I went to check it out the case had popped open!
The smart part of the system is made out of tiny plastic gears to track how far the window has moved then triggers the limit switch. They are right under the front cover and the reset button is right on top of one of them. Personally I always figured the button was an electrical button but it is not. Somehow the reset button must disengage the gear set or effects them somehow so that all of the timing of the gears match up with the window being up. Maybe yours is mechanically worn, stuck, stripped, etc. Definately sounds like time for a new one unless something in your door is pushing on the reset button or it didn't pop back out all the way. The rubber cover gets crooked sometimes. Think there is a white plastic button under the black rubber cover.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

fyi anyone ever looked behind the reset button and why it doesn't feel like a button when pressed? that's because its not a button. u can remove the nub. its like a grommet. behind is a spinning disc that the rubber button keeps from spinning when pressed. I thought it was funny.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM
j3tt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace the brushes..... I did that 6 months ago and mine hasn't messed up at all. There is a thread by binder that does a step by step with pics and it's easy. A soldering iron($12 at Walmart) and some rc car electrical brushes(a pack of 6 for like $15 online) and just rebuild it yourself
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by saywat?
fyi anyone ever looked behind the reset button and why it doesn't feel like a button when pressed? that's because its not a button. u can remove the nub. its like a grommet. behind is a spinning disc that the rubber button keeps from spinning when pressed. I thought it was funny.
Interesting...
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 AM
bmyles

I really wish this thread were stickied: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-be-fixed.html

It is hands down the best way to rid yourself of these window motor problems forever, just takes a little time.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 AM
j3tt2

Originally Posted by bmyles
I really wish this thread were stickied: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-be-fixed.html

It is hands down the best way to rid yourself of these window motor problems forever, just takes a little time.
Yeah this was the threa I was talking about by binder. You can even pm the guy and he will help you out. He's a cool dude
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Z_on_TE37's

Well, just so all of you know. The source of my problem is in my wiring harness. For some odd reason if its too cold or just doesnt want to work, all I need to do is bend the wiring harness to the switchboard around and then it'll work. Kinda odd, but it is what it is.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Same problem, 06 pass side.
Searched "Windows/Repair", followed sticky. Cleaned motor w/CRC Electronics cleaner, works like new. 8 months. When it quits, I'll change it.
Btw, make sure your driver side lock-out isn't pressed...my wife was sure she killed that same window. Haha
glwr
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

now i know why the 3 short screws were so damn tight from the factory. becus if u dont do it tight enough it will loosen over time and cause the motor to move when its active then u gotta go back in there again lol. or u can use loctite
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
JRSport018

Originally Posted by Z_on_TE37's
Well, just so all of you know. The source of my problem is in my wiring harness. For some odd reason if its too cold or just doesnt want to work, all I need to do is bend the wiring harness to the switchboard around and then it'll work. Kinda odd, but it is what it is.
I'm having the EXACT same problem as your first post. Drivers side won't work at all, passenger side will go down but when I click up, the whole dash blinks and clicks.. So you just bent the wires that go into the arm rest around till it worked again?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Z_on_TE37's

Yeah dude, its the weirdest thing. I just bend the wires and wahhlaaa it works. I'm probably going to buy the new wiring harness, but its like 150$ !