Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

those cursed window motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Z_on_TE37's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those cursed window motors

Anyone have experience with the window motors, please chime in. I know the default fix is to just buy a new motor, but I think mine still works. The other day, I put the window all the way down, and it won't go back up. I tore apart the door to diagnose the problem. My window motor will turn in the downward direction via the passengers switch, the drivers side passenger switch wont do anything. It will only go down and not up. When I push down on the switch, it clicks, when I pull up, no click. I'm not sure if it's my motor or my switch. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I "fixed" mine and it worked for another couple of weeks before failing again. Bought a new motor and it's been working fine since then.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

I recall reading somewhere that Advance Auto has a really good window motor that people have used. Supposedly none of them have failed yet..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Lubo

I have tried few different re-manufactured or aftermarket motors. Some of them didn't work or failed very quickly. Ordered and installed OEM and no more issues.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by QuintonC
I recall reading somewhere that Advance Auto has a really good window motor that people have used. Supposedly none of them have failed yet..
Cordone is the only company the sells rebuilt ones. Oreilly autoparts is the best place to purchase it, because the store offers life time replacement whereas the other stores don't...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_on_TE37's
Anyone have experience with the window motors, please chime in. I know the default fix is to just buy a new motor, but I think mine still works. The other day, I put the window all the way down, and it won't go back up. I tore apart the door to diagnose the problem. My window motor will turn in the downward direction via the passengers switch, the drivers side passenger switch wont do anything. It will only go down and not up. When I push down on the switch, it clicks, when I pull up, no click. I'm not sure if it's my motor or my switch. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Initially does not sound like a motor problem because of what you heard with the clicks. That is the sound of the relay switching to turn on the motor. But someone will have to walk you through checking the switch, wiring, etc.
Do you have a volt meter and the service manual? Any electrical experience at all?

If you DO need a motor in the end, +1 for OReilley's. All are Cardone remanufactured and it is lifetime warranty unlike at Autozone, Advance,etc. I'm on my 6th and only paid for one!
But they have admitted they were rebuilding them incorrectly and have changed in the last year or so. Don't read too much into the complaints we all have had in the past. Don't waste your money on a Nissan priced motor, give the part store one a try.

Last edited by bjr; 03-19-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
jerrit1

Uh oh, I just bought a rebuilt one off eBay for $115 ...so I guess it will be failing soon then.
I tried cleaning my old one and it worked better for a few days and now it just bairly works...I have to hit the door alot to get it to go. I will be installing the rebuilt one soon.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Bret86944

I got mine from rockauto. First replacement failed but the second one worked just fine. It was rebuilt too, not an aftermarket one.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I followed the instructions in the Sticky above this section to clean my malfunctioning window motor. As the Sticky (and Dave) mentions, the motor might fail again. The cleaning worked for about 3-4 months. I decided to go with a new motor because of the time required to take the door apart. --Spike
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
Cordone is the only company the sells rebuilt ones. Oreilly autoparts is the best place to purchase it, because the store offers life time replacement whereas the other stores don't...
+1 to this, I was unaware of that o.O
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Z_on_TE37's

I appreciate all of you guys helping me. But already know where to purchase the motors. I'm looking for help on my specific problem. I'm assuming none of you guys had the same problem as i do.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by jerrit1
Uh oh, I just bought a rebuilt one off eBay for $115 ...so I guess it will be failing soon then.
I tried cleaning my old one and it worked better for a few days and now it just bairly works...I have to hit the door alot to get it to go. I will be installing the rebuilt one soon.
My memory is older than I thought. They have changed their rebuild procedure as of 10/21/11. Couple of ideas.
Contact Cardone and see if there are any labels they put on the box or part to indicate rebuild date?
Contact your e-bay seller to determine possible age?
Contact Cardone and express your concerns and see if they will exchange it with a recent one before you use it?

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Spike100

@Z_on_TE37's , In fact I had the identical problem you describe (i.e., window rolls down but not up, switch clicks audibly, etc.). I realize you already know where to buy a new or reconditioned motor. My posting was to confirm your problem.

My fix was cleaning the window motor. But, the repair was only temporary. That is why I went with a new window motor. I was tired of taking apart the door.

--Spike

I appreciate all of you guys helping me. But already know where to purchase the motors. I'm looking for help on my specific problem. I'm assuming none of you guys had the same problem as i do.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
bjr

Never heard that one. The service manual is detailed about checking things in the GW section (Glasses, Window system and mirrors).
I can't find any relays in the schematic. I figured the click was a relay coming on. Maybe there are some relays on the computer board directly -(BCM) module.
Not much to the circuit - it's all fuse, up/down switch to the BCM, back out to the motor. So, start with the switch and use the manual and a voltmeter to check the right wires at the connector. Also check all the wires for damage and where the wire goes into the connector on the door for any damage like if one of them pulled out of the connector or something similar?
If you download the service manual and get stuck we can help you but you have to do some work. Make sure you get the right manual for your year even though windows may not have changed - I wouldn't know if they had.

I see that Spike replied while I was writing. Consider that too. Maybe the click that you hear is the first actuation of the motor as the brushes spin? I always figured a relay. I know the noise you mean. Strange it would work down but not up. Gently pounding on the door in the right place can make a motor that is giving up work a few more times so maybe try that too. Let us know what you find...
p.s. One fine detail. It sounds like Spike is describing a time when a click was heard but the motor did not move. I think that you are describing a situation where you pull the switch for going up and you hear no click, right? Those are two different things!

Last edited by bjr; 03-19-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: overlap
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Rolando

I have a problem with mine as well. except when I roll it all the way up, it rolls about a quarter of the way back down on its own. had it checked out by a friend who works at nissan and I was told I just need to buy a new one. they charge over $200 for a new window motor!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Spike100

I think your window motor is OK, but it needs to be recalibrated. I have not done this, but I'll bet there is a member here who can help you do this without the requirement and expen$e of a new motor.

--Spike

Originally Posted by Rolando
I have a problem with mine as well. except when I roll it all the way up, it rolls about a quarter of the way back down on its own. had it checked out by a friend who works at nissan and I was told I just need to buy a new one. they charge over $200 for a new window motor!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by Rolando
Your friend must not be one of the mechanics - at least I hope not
You need to reset it --->https://my350z.com/forum/5779726-post17.html
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Z_on_TE37's

Bjr, you got the idea man. Where can i download a service manual? Is it free. I'm gonna try to get a local with a Z to left m borrow their door panel control panels to plug in and see if the motor will go up with their switches, if mine are broken then I know I need new switches. I'm hoping its just the motor. I hate electronic stuff, its always nothing but problems.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 AM
bjr

Bjr, you got the idea man. Where can i download a service manual? Is it free. I'm gonna try to get a local with a Z to left m borrow their door panel control panels to plug in and see if the motor will go up with their switches, if mine are broken then I know I need new switches. I'm hoping its just the motor. I hate electronic stuff, its always nothing but problems.
CHeck the Sticky thread in this section that says FSM. HOpefully one of those links still work. Back in 05 you could get one free lots of places.

The idea for swapping a working switch arm rest panel is the easiest and quickest way to do this and was considering that but could not imagine knowing another Z owner (at least not in my world). Lucky for you, you do!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 AM
YardieXplorer

Originally Posted by bjr
Your friend must not be one of the mechanics - at least I hope not
You need to reset it --->https://my350z.com/forum/5779726-post17.html
Resetting is not a permanent fix. When I reset mine, (I have the same issue) it last for maybe 2 weeks then revert to rolling back down. I have a new motor sitting down but these freezing temps have not allowed me to swap it out.

Btw I also picked my motor up from a buddy at the Nissan dealership for $50 who also has suggested to replace the motor

Quick Reply: those cursed window motors