Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

loud sound from the back of my 350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Xonatron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default loud sound from the back of my 350z

So driving home today, doing 50..60 kph (30..40 mph) I heard a loud sound coming from the back of the car very low, as if something broke or fell off. Maybe a pop sound, but a deep pop sound. I don't think it was a backfire, but I don't know the car well enough to make that call. EDIT: As soon as I heard the sound I checked the road behind me for parts, and there was nothing. Don't laugh, I've had a large section of an exhaust system fall right off in a vehicle before!

I pulled over quick and looked underneath and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing looked loose or hanging. The exhaust system looked fine. It also sounded fine. I went over some bumps and accelerated a bit and everything feel and sounded solid.

I'm having my mechanic check it out tomorrow. Just thought I'd ask for some insight. I know I've given barely any info, but that's all I have for now. (I wish I had recorded it!)

Last edited by Xonatron; 05-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Xonatron

UPDATE: I had it parked outside for about an hour, if that, and there was a huge puddle underneath it. I moved the car out of the way and it looked and smelled like oil. It was thick brown. The oil I use is 5W-40 full synthetic, Irving brand. It's supposedly high end oil. Now, I'm no expert, maybe it was another fluid. I'm not sure. My mechanic is going to look at the car tomorrow, and he should have a nice puddle underneath it to look at as it'll be parked there all night. Just drove it in.

I'll update this thread in case it happens to anyone else.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
shermcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may have been your engine drain plug bouncing off something on its way out. Time for a new mechanic
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Xonatron

So you think it could have been placed back on improperly from the last oil change?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Might be your diff. Mine made 3 loud boom sounds within 3 blocks then I parked at my job, called a tow truck. Turns out the bearing seized and blew the diff.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Where was the puddle ? Front , back , centered, I'm kinda thinking diff
Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Xonatron

SQuaLZ, when your differential blew, could you tell other than the sound? I couldn't feel anything was different. The only evidence something had happened was the deep pop sound, which sounded like something fell off my car deep in the back, and then the puddle. If the diff blew, would it have leaked out its oil? Would it be thick brown? I'm thinking, yes.

terrasmak, the puddle was in the center. I was walking up to the car directly from the side and it wasn't hidden by any of the wheels, front or back. I remember thinking it was a bit far back to be oil, but I'm not sure where the oil would have leaked out.

Last edited by Xonatron; 05-10-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 AM
Xonatron

UPDATE: The mechanic checked all the fluids, including engine oil and differential oil, and they were all fine. Plus, no oil puddle under the car from having it parked there for 12 hours. In comparison, the puddle I saw would have been created in under an hour the day before, which was deep enough to stick half my finger tip into. That means we should have measured low oil somewhere had it been mine.

So... looks like it's just a coincidence and I parked over someone else's puddle of oil, and the sound must have been something hard hitting the bottom of the car.

I still feel like something's up, as I was driving so slow for such a "something just broke" sound to happen. I'll have to keep an eye on more fluid leaking just to be sure.

Mixed emotions!

Last edited by Xonatron; 05-10-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

The transmission drain is right in the center...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Xonatron

Is it possible the transmission did leak, enough for a large puddle, and then stop and still have enough fluid left for the mechanics to find nothing wrong the next day?

I'll have to pay attention to the transmission. Maybe if it's becomes hard to shift or something.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Syner

Honestly, it sounds like you need a new mechanic. Just get under the car and look yourself.

It should be completely dry around the drain/filler plugs. Don't wait for a problem to become evident, it only takes a couple minutes to check it yourself.

The fill plug is higher and on the passenger side. If that went out and you were sitting with the passenger side slightly lower (parked on a normal road), there is a chance that it could have leaked. When you level out, the oil won't leak.

Last edited by Syner; 05-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
Honestly, it sounds like you need a new mechanic.
+1 it seems like you leaked tranny fluid. Just fyi there is no dipstick for the tranny fluid unless you have an auto.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Xonatron

Ok, so exactly how do I check this myself?

Maybe when I had it parked at the garage and also in my own parking lot I was too even for it to spill, but where I had it parked was at my girlfriend's place for the hour where it may have leaked, and the road could have been slanted a bit. I'll have to check.

So, get under the car and how do I locate the drain/filler plugs? Is there any threads with pics or vids to help me out? I'll try my best with what you gave me already. (The fill plug is high and on the passenger side.)

EDIT: I'm putting up on a lift tomorrow and I'm going to specifically check this out. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Xonatron; 05-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by matthewdoucette
Ok, so exactly how do I check this myself?

Maybe when I had it parked at the garage and also in my own parking lot I was too even for it to spill, but where I had it parked was at my girlfriend's place for the hour where it may have leaked, and the road could have been slanted a bit. I'll have to check.

So, get under the car and how do I locate the drain/filler plugs? Is there any threads with pics or vids to help me out? I'll try my best with what you gave me already. (The fill plug is high and on the passenger side.)

EDIT: I'm putting up on a lift tomorrow and I'm going to specifically check this out. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Get under the car. Go under the transmission housing. On the passenger side, you will see a hex screw (about 1/4" thick and a little smaller than a loonie). The fill plug is on the side of the housing (facing the door). The drain plug is the exact same, but a little more to the rear and facing the ground.

There should be absolutely NO oil around these plugs. It will be easy to tell if anything was leaking.

Last edited by Syner; 05-14-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Xonatron

Update: I took it to another mechanic today and watched them check the transmission oil, and it was filled. They stuck their finger in there basically and there was plenty. There was no signs of leaking oil from either the transmission or the engine, so it looks like all is well.

Thanks so much for the help.