Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Changed oil..now she ticks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Markhimself876

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneLovelyZee
The problem went away after a week with my Z, bro. I'm thinking about gonig back to dino oil because it seems as if I'm losing 1/3 of a quart every 1,000.
Immmm not so sure if thats a good idea. I think switching between types of oils are not good for your seals (or so i've been told) can anyone verify this? switch to AMSoil man. If you look around here somewhere there is a thread about cylinder wear tests on various oils. AMSoil had the least
compared to mobil, royal purple and several other brands.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:05 AM
RodiZio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mark, however Midas maybe your first problem. Throw a quart of Lucas in it, that usually quiets down the valve train.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
Valve ticking is a weird thing. Sometimes it's from switching to a thinner oil and occasionally it's from a thicker oil. With other cars, I've had success with something called GM Oil Additive. I have no idea if it'll work in your case but it might be worth a shot. I think only GM dealerships sell it.
Overall, faint valve tick is nothing to panic about, so don't worry too much, there. It's time to learn how to change your own oil and do it far less often since you're using synthetic. Many will argue with me, but when synthetics first came out, one of their claims to fame was that they lasted way longer. That has since been removed from the packaging as they found folks still liked changing oil every 3k miles. I believe AMS still brags that theirs lasts super long and I personally believe that all synthetics do.
As with all things related to oil, it's little more than personal opinion based on how they are marketed with their elusive, vague "facts". It's coming to a point, (ImO), where consumers are damaging their precious vehicles by excessively changing their oil, switching brands and grades and screwing something up during the procedure that accidentally causes damage. A simple cross threaded plug or double gasket on a filter leads to catastrophic damage when the bloody oil they were changing out was fine to begin with.
The final, snotty advice is if you can't afford another $50, you picked the wrong car.
Solid advice. I use synthetic in my old toyota camry just because it lasts longer and I hate doing oil changes a lot.