Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sticking clutch... I've searched need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 PM
bjjbadboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking clutch... I've searched need some help

Hey guys short story- jwt clutch and fly wheel aprx 15k on it as well as a new slave.

Yesterday out of no where the clutch is doing the sticking thing everyone complains about.

Would this happen out of no where? I checked the fluid level and it's fine but I still topped it off closer to max. Clutch was a little lose but returned. By the time I was in first 2x it wouldn't come back up. 3-5th it's not as bad and pops back up. Can this be air in the system? This thing was such a ***** to bleed its one of the last things I want to do.

So what should I do next? I've read people sucking old fluid out of the res, cleaning it and filling it with fresh dot4 fluid. The fluid is brown in there but doesn't look terrible. It can also be the master cylinder from what I've read but I want to see what else I can check before buying it and swapping it out (wouldn't want to buy and it still doesn't work)
I've deff searched on this from over 2 years ago when I replaced the clutch and couldn't bleed it (needed a new slave) so I've tried to do my hw myself need you pros to tell me my next step.

I'm afraid that it's not going to slip into gear at all 1st gear was rough just now
Old 09-30-2014, 02:32 PM
tommy smith

Default slave cylinder

Originally Posted by bjjbadboy
Hey guys short story- jwt clutch and fly wheel aprx 15k on it as well as a new slave.

Yesterday out of no where the clutch is doing the sticking thing everyone complains about.

Would this happen out of no where? I checked the fluid level and it's fine but I still topped it off closer to max. Clutch was a little lose but returned. By the time I was in first 2x it wouldn't come back up. 3-5th it's not as bad and pops back up. Can this be air in the system? This thing was such a ***** to bleed its one of the last things I want to do.

So what should I do next? I've read people sucking old fluid out of the res, cleaning it and filling it with fresh dot4 fluid. The fluid is brown in there but doesn't look terrible. It can also be the master cylinder from what I've read but I want to see what else I can check before buying it and swapping it out (wouldn't want to buy and it still doesn't work)
I've deff searched on this from over 2 years ago when I replaced the clutch and couldn't bleed it (needed a new slave) so I've tried to do my hw myself need you pros to tell me my next step.

I'm afraid that it's not going to slip into gear at all 1st gear was rough just now
Yes I read your post. Slave cylinder or that area. Sometimes it's better to see a dealer.

I used to have the clutch stick to the floor after shifting out of first gear.

Last edited by tommy smith; 09-30-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM
tommy smith

Default bj badboy ????

Is that for real
Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM
bjjbadboy

Originally Posted by tommy smith
Is that for real
It's my sponser. Kinda walked into this one when I made the name smh lol
Old 09-30-2014, 03:09 PM
bjjbadboy

Thanks for the reply. Dealer would really be a last option. It would be cheaper for me to just replace the slave and master than bring to the dealer, I was kinda hoping one of you pros would have a starting point of looking at what could be wrong, obv cheapest quickest fixes to more complex and more expensive.
Thank you again
Old 09-30-2014, 03:24 PM
tommy smith

Default I was joking but good to see you have a sense of humor

Thanks for the reply. Dealer would really be a last option. It would be cheaper for me to just replace the slave and master than bring to the dealer, I was kinda hoping one of you pros would have a starting point of looking at what could be wrong, obv cheapest quickest fixes to more complex and more expensive.
Thank you again
You wrote that you have a new slave cyl. ??? My problem was with my 08 and it was 5 years ago. Don't remember if it was under warranty but the dealer found & fixed that problem. Sometimes it costs less at the dealer when they go straight to the problem

My problem was my first time at the drag strip and I was visiting Florida. It was a *****. It stuck on the floor like every other run....
Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

what year and did you replace the master as well?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:37 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Flush and change the clutch fluid to synthetic or one with a higher boiling point like Motul. Fixed mine instantly.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:55 PM
bjjbadboy

Thanks for the reply guys, it's an 05 apx 15k on the clutch and slave. Nope the master wasn't replaced.

I'm gonna climb under tomorrow see if I can see any damage to the throw out bearing (reallllly don't want to drop the tranny with out a lift again)

If that looks fine I'm thinking just replace the master, found them for around 60$ and bump it from dot3 to dot4... What do you guys think
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 PM
travlee
Master

Thanks for the reply guys, it's an 05 apx 15k on the clutch and slave. Nope the master wasn't replaced.

I'm gonna climb under tomorrow see if I can see any damage to the throw out bearing (reallllly don't want to drop the tranny with out a lift again)

If that looks fine I'm thinking just replace the master, found them for around 60$ and bump it from dot3 to dot4... What do you guys think
look into the wilwood master.......
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or z1 I believe its z1 at least that everyone recommends, never seen a prob after getting the 1 master. Im just going by what i believe I remember though. I have an auto so didn't try to retain the info that much but either go with the wilwood like trav suggested or look into the z1.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 AM
bjjbadboy

Thanks for all the replys, I finally have some time to check things out today.

The wilwood is a little pricey c
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 AM
bjjbadboy

Thanks for all the replys, I finally have some time to check things out today.

The wilwood is a little pricey compared to stock is it worth it?

I'm thinking this won't be as terrible to bleed bc I'm not running the system dry like when I put the ss line in and fluid will still be in the oriface thing. Once the new master is in I'm thinking I'll just flush the system with fresh dot4 and as long as the resivour never dries shouldn't be bad right? Or nope still bad airs gonna get caught in the orifice. It's crazy it took me longer to bleed my clutch than to change it when I did the job
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Master, it's a $20 rebuild kit. Very common problem, happened on my 05 too. Sediment builds up in the master, I had to use a wheel cylinder hone to get it all out.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
bjjbadboy

You guys are awesome. Finally took a look under there and she was leaking like a **** so after all this master cylinder talk, I pulled off the heat wrap on the ss line has someone push on the clutch while I was under there and There is a pin hole in the ss line feeding into the slave cylinder. So looks like a cheap fix with a ton of bleeding ughh. At least I won't have to pull the tranny.

Anyone have any new exciting ways to bleed this easier (excluding a power bleeder) and where to buy a new ss line. I got this one with from jwt with my clutch and flywheel
Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM
travlee
Master

You guys are awesome. Finally took a look under there and she was leaking like a **** so after all this master cylinder talk, I pulled off the heat wrap on the ss line has someone push on the clutch while I was under there and There is a pin hole in the ss line feeding into the slave cylinder. So looks like a cheap fix with a ton of bleeding ughh. At least I won't have to pull the tranny.

Anyone have any new exciting ways to bleed this easier (excluding a power bleeder) and where to buy a new ss line. I got this one with from jwt with my clutch and flywheel
z1 motorsports, they are in Georgia and prob the closest reputable shop to ya
Old 10-02-2014, 12:02 PM
bjjbadboy

Originally Posted by travlee
z1 motorsports, they are in Georgia and prob the closest reputable shop to ya
Cool thanks that's what I was thinking. I'm so stoked it's not a bigger problem but so not stoked to bleed this thing again lol
Old 10-03-2014, 09:43 AM
bjjbadboy

I went with the Z1. Hoping it gets here tomorrow.

The heat wrap was really shot that was on it and soaked in fluid, I tried my local Nissan parts depart and they said notiing shows for just the wrap it probably comes with the stock line... I tried searching online too but couldn't find anything so I'm guessing heat wrap is generic and just rated buy temp, but still I'm not sure what and where I can buy a replacement. Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 09:46 AM
travlee
Master

they have that heat reflective tape and heat shield at oreilly and autozone

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...hield+material
Old 10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
bjjbadboy

Cool thanks, so I can use anything similar. Thanks just got my tracking number. I'm in with draw not drive my car :-(
Originally Posted by travlee
they have that heat reflective tape and heat shield at oreilly and autozone

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...hield+material