Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear differential fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:57 PM
imkrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear differential fluid leak

This is my first post as a 350z forum member. I just bought a used 2005 350z at a dealership in Los Angeles. I took it to go get it oil changed at a Nissan dealership. They told me it had two problems that I should fix.

A worn bushing on the front right radius arm, cost to replace $855:
Rear differential fluid leak-wornbushing.jpg

and a rear differential leak, cost to replace $1853:
Rear differential fluid leak-reardiffleak1.jpg
Rear differential fluid leak-reardiffleak.jpg
Rear differential fluid leak-reardiffleak2.jpg

Now I can understand that the worn bushing is normal wear and tear, but I'm not sure about the rear differential leak. There is what appears to be a giant groove that is the cause of the leak.

Is that kind of damage normal wear and tear?

is there a cheaper way to get these fixed besides purchasing/installing a new rear assembly and radius arm?

I would really appreciate any help in this matter and thank you very much in advance to any posters.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

The rear diff leak looks like a blown rear diff BUSHING.

That huge bushing back there is (was) fluid filled.

And yes there are much more affordable options.

SPL makes a solid aluminum kit that replaces the huge one that's leaking as well as the two smaller bushings that flank the pumpkin.

I ran those for a few years until I moved my car into a different class where solid bushings are not allowed. Now I'm running White line Urethane bushings.

As for the radius arm bushing (Compression arm?) I think you can get a replacement bushing by itself and pay a shop to press it in.

In this case though, I would go with SPL or the infinity TSB bushing. The urethane offerings from Whiteline etc have had complaints of binding.

Stock TSB bushing:
http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/G35-...4570ac70a-.htm

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 03-09-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I would do everything you can to do the work yourself. I know there are LOTS of owners in Cali, and a good majority of them do work on their own vehicles. I just replaced my differential bushings and if you have never done it, it is VERY intimidating, even with the write up on here. I would post in the local section to have someone help you with both. I got my subframe bushing out with a LOT of drilling and a Saws All. It was messy, but a free job (except the 6 pack I bought my buddy). I installed the Whiteline poly bushings (my aunt got me them for bday/xmas w00t!) and they went in really easily. I don't think I would go SPL unless you are a track guy.

Hopefully looking around here will help you NOT pay the dealer costs for these jobs. Here is the link to the diff bushing DIY:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...mp-either.html
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
imkrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for feedback! I didn't know I would get such a fast response and some great information. Its good to know a little better about my Z as I really like the car. In any case, I think I found out a way to get the dealership(the one I bought the car from) to pay for the repairs. Not sure yet so still crossing my fingers.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:28 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by imkrazy
Thanks a lot for feedback! I didn't know I would get such a fast response and some great information. Its good to know a little better about my Z as I really like the car. In any case, I think I found out a way to get the dealership(the one I bought the car from) to pay for the repairs. Not sure yet so still crossing my fingers.
Honestly, the responses vary from who is online, and their mood (myself included). I'm pretty passionate about letting people know about their Diff bushing since I just changed mine. I went to the drag strip last year and had a lot of wheel hop (most likely due to driver inexperience) but I identified my blown bushing and my 08 only has 62k on the clock, so older cars are likely to be the same or worse. I also want to see what changes were made by swapping the bushings.

Let us know what the dealer says. Otherwise, depending on your location, I could reach out to a couple buddies in the California area that would/could help out for WAAAY less than the dealer is asking.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Couple bushing as very well explained and a tuner shop will charge $500ish to swap. Local wrenches , people who wrench out of their home garage will charge a lot less (I would charge $180) but I'm not local. Hit up the SoCal regional section for better suggestions
Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Sooo just a quick question, think it would be possible to swap out the big center bushing without removing the differential from the car? I have lots and lots of tools, and cutting devices... I am not looking forward to removing all those rusty *** bolts holding **** together.

Anyone think its possible? Ive had new bushing sitting in my spare bedroom for months.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:44 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Just take it out its far easier with it out
Old 05-30-2016, 04:19 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Yeah but most of my bolts dont come off they break off... I should just suck it up and deal with it, im just curious if anyone has gotten the old one out without the complete removal.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to press it out/in, the diff would be in the way no matter what. Has to come out.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

almost 3k for both jobs combined..thats too steep for not so drastic repairs.

you are right the front radius arm bushing is wear and tear. I know that mine were bad and i went ahead and replaced it myself. I took off the arm. bought whiteline bushings and went to a machine shop and had them press the old ones out and new ones in. the bushing and labor should cost you under 200. Its just time consuming if you are doing it the first time taking off that radius arm. might as well do both sides. if you can leave your car on jackstands for 1 or 2 days and feel like you are mechanically inclined its very do-able with just the information you have on this forum. A 20V impact wrench will make the job a lotttttttttttttt easier.

the rear diff bushing however i have not had happen yet (knock on wood). so i have no experience in that area. you can buy the bushing and bring it into a smaller shop to have them service that part.