Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

consult 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Cookiezor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Techmate is the company that makes the Consult. The only way you're going to get a C3 is to find one used. Techmate doesn't even make them any more. Dealers are all using Consult 3-Plus now. Even if you manage to get one, it will be obsolete fairly quickly since the C3+ gets updated every night. Not trying to kill the dream, but this is the reality of the situation. Nissan makes it hard to get and very expensive because the C3+ can do stuff that can terminally f**k your car up if you don't know what you're doing.
yes sir, thast the name that supplies dealers - techmate. they got the new C3+, they do sell the VI separately from the kit for 2200, which is nice, all i gotta do is find the software if i ever decide to purchase the VI. Thats probably will be my next route, is to save up and get the VI,but after i find the interface. so yeah - i accepted the reality hahah
Old 05-31-2015, 10:40 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm just trying to understand your motive. Without ASIST, the C3+ doesn't really do anything more than an advanced scan tool does (Snap-On Verus Pro, for example). The thing that makes the C3+ such a great tool for us at the dealership is that it communicates with ASIST. Without ASIST, the C3+ can't update, can't program tire sensors, can't program keys, can't access a vehicle's service history and can't reprogram modules (BCM, ECM, TCM, ABS, etc...). I mean, do what makes you happy, but I'm just trying to understand the desire to have a diagnostic platform that isn't going to function properly.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:34 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Understanding his motive will help narrow down his possibilities.

I also understand the will and desire of the aftermarket to develop tools/protocols that can unlock similar functionalities as the dealership tools.

Autel (the company I linked), advertises tools for TPMS and Key reprogramming, and provides software/firmware updates to their products. I cannot attest to their functionality (never used them), but their products do seem similar to the Snap-On Versus level product...and at 1/6 the price, they do warrant discussion.

I do not think a company developing a 3rd party diagnostic product for a specific (or multiple) platforms is something to be viewed negatively. Although I understand the desire for an auto manufacturer to want to keep a monopoly on their technological edge for as long as possible. They do so successfully, and here we are discussing diagnostic tools for a 12 year old platform...everybody wins! (sortof)
Old 06-01-2015, 06:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Understanding his motive will help narrow down his possibilities.

I also understand the will and desire of the aftermarket to develop tools/protocols that can unlock similar functionalities as the dealership tools.

Autel (the company I linked), advertises tools for TPMS and Key reprogramming, and provides software/firmware updates to their products. I cannot attest to their functionality (never used them), but their products do seem similar to the Snap-On Versus level product...and at 1/6 the price, they do warrant discussion.

I do not think a company developing a 3rd party diagnostic product for a specific (or multiple) platforms is something to be viewed negatively. Although I understand the desire for an auto manufacturer to want to keep a monopoly on their technological edge for as long as possible. They do so successfully, and here we are discussing diagnostic tools for a 12 year old platform...everybody wins! (sortof)
The problem with this thread is it's titled "Consult III", which leads most of us to assume it's about the factory developed tool. What it should read is
"Is there a cheap CONSULT III replacement out there?" and while the market has come up with cheap (and not so cheap) replacements, none of them can match the tool that Nissan has developed.

The only thing I view negatively about this discussion of a third party diagnostic product is that some people will think there is a viable CONSULT III replacement out on the market, There is not. There are some good tools that have been developed to meet the needs of enthusiasts and racers--I like UpRev's Cipher and Osiris products for example--but they cannot replace the full range of services offered by a factory developed tool in the hands of a trained Nissan technician.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by dkmura
The problem with this thread is it's titled "Consult III", which leads most of us to assume it's about the factory developed tool. What it should read is
"Is there a cheap CONSULT III replacement out there?" and while the market has come up with cheap (and not so cheap) replacements, none of them can match the tool that Nissan has developed.

The only thing I view negatively about this discussion of a third party diagnostic product is that some people will think there is a viable CONSULT III replacement out on the market, There is not. There are some good tools that have been developed to meet the needs of enthusiasts and racers--I like UpRev's Cipher and Osiris products for example--but they cannot replace the full range of services offered by a factory developed tool in the hands of a trained Nissan technician.
Semantics aside, now we'll get back to discussing to what degree the aftermarket has been able to close the gap to the CONSULT capabilities.

Shades of gray, not black and white.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by guitman32
Semantics aside, now we'll get back to discussing to what degree the aftermarket has been able to close the gap to the CONSULT capabilities.

Shades of gray, not black and white.
i will gladly listen to and pay attention to that discussion, but i wont be much of an input as ive only had LEXUS scan tool in my hands bc i used to work there. so i dont really know the functions of any other brand scan tools, even the consult, i just know it does a bunch of stuff but dont know what exactly, so this will definitely be interesting.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:51 PM
guitman32

In a way that is what we are already doing. This thread is fine, you're doing a good job.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I'm just trying to understand your motive. Without ASIST, the C3+ doesn't really do anything more than an advanced scan tool does (Snap-On Verus Pro, for example). The thing that makes the C3+ such a great tool for us at the dealership is that it communicates with ASIST. Without ASIST, the C3+ can't update, can't program tire sensors, can't program keys, can't access a vehicle's service history and can't reprogram modules (BCM, ECM, TCM, ABS, etc...). I mean, do what makes you happy, but I'm just trying to understand the desire to have a diagnostic platform that isn't going to function properly.
oh man my bad, i did not see ur message till now. Well the motive is simple - i got 350z, it has a problem, i needed a diag tool, thought of consult, and decided to see if i can get it. I know there r others diag devices out there, that can do stuff, but i hate being short in the equipment/knowledge area (meaning that i really would not like if i get a diag tool for $$$$ and then it turns out it doesnt have what i need). I also like doing the work on a car my self. taking it to a dealer is like a taboo to me( dont ask why) so i wanted to have the same equipment as the dealer, to diagnose any problems i might have in future. i dont have the opportunity right now to sit for hours and find what the problem is the old school way, so i thought of the consult bc its a NISSAN tool, it should cover everything abt my car. thats all. Oh and also i didint want the C3+, i wanted the previous one.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM
sundaygolfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good thread, I looked at the reviews for the Autel on Harbor Freight. One review in particular may enlighten the discussion: " I have been a Nissan and Infiniti Master tech for 10 years now and have used Consult 1, 2, 3, and 3 plus. This Autel unit can do anything those tools do from programing keys, program TPMS sensors (tpms activator tool ts401 or equivalent needed), abs, bcm, engine, transmission, nats, IAVL, TPMS, CAN diag..... it does it all!!! Its even bi-directional. Control windows, door locks, actuators, etc... It even prints via WIFI. And you can control it from your laptop via WIFI! I recently used it during a short period as a Honda tech and it does everything the HDS MVCI scanner does too! This thing rocks! It is honestly better than the Snap-0n scanners and at this price you cant go wrong! I now only use the dealer scan tool for warranty work now. If its customer pay then i grab this baby! Use a 20% off code and BUY IT!! " I hope this helps with the discussion
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by sundaygolfer
Very good thread, I looked at the reviews for the Autel on Harbor Freight. One review in particular may enlighten the discussion: " I have been a Nissan and Infiniti Master tech for 10 years now and have used Consult 1, 2, 3, and 3 plus. This Autel unit can do anything those tools do from programing keys, program TPMS sensors (tpms activator tool ts401 or equivalent needed), abs, bcm, engine, transmission, nats, IAVL, TPMS, CAN diag..... it does it all!!! Its even bi-directional. Control windows, door locks, actuators, etc... It even prints via WIFI. And you can control it from your laptop via WIFI! I recently used it during a short period as a Honda tech and it does everything the HDS MVCI scanner does too! This thing rocks! It is honestly better than the Snap-0n scanners and at this price you cant go wrong! I now only use the dealer scan tool for warranty work now. If its customer pay then i grab this baby! Use a 20% off code and BUY IT!! " I hope this helps with the discussion

taht really sounds like somebody was paid to say that, or better yet somebody from the company is promoting it. could be real, but smells fishy hahah, but thanks mate for the participation.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 AM
sundaygolfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autel

Originally Posted by Cookiezor
taht really sounds like somebody was paid to say that, or better yet somebody from the company is promoting it. could be real, but smells fishy hahah, but thanks mate for the participation.
Youtube has at least 10 pages of Autel in a variety of uses and all of those are trying to get paid by Google.
The Durametric Porsche Tool is loaded on to a Windows computer and has a proprietary connection. The tool cost from $300 (for 3 cars);$800 for unlimited and $1100 for the racing version. Factory racing cars can be serviced at local Porsche dealer. I borrowed one when I purchased my Porsche 911 it lite-up some sellers lying eyes.

Currently, I am trying to purchase 2006-2007 350Z convertible. After using the Durametric tool I am spoiled and feel I cannot really tell the condition of the car without the diagnostic tool.
Does anyone know if the Nissan tool can read over revs;
how many times the engine at redline and the last time in hours when it occurred. Also, if the car was shift from 5th gear into 2nd forcing an over rev condition? Are there Active body control sensors on 350Z's? I hate to take it to a dealer but I am looking for an indy in Orlando area who would run the tool for reasonable price.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Cookiezor

how many times the engine at redline and the last time in hours when it occurred. Also, if the car was shift from 5th gear into 2nd forcing an over rev condition? Are there Active body control sensors on 350Z's? I hate to take it to a dealer but I am looking for an indy in Orlando area who would run the tool for reasonable price.
WOOAH, 5th to 2nd, i mean i know about 2nd to 1st, but 5th to 2nd that a long as jump and i think that has to be done on purpose rather than accident, maybe 5 to 3rd, but thats also rare. But to answer ur question, i wont be able to. i dont even know myself what the tool has as im not a nissan tech, u should call the dealer and ask them if it can, but i would doubt it,that it would be in history, BUT the codes that the condition could have caused would stay, so that could probably tell u that somebody did that.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:22 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Currently, I am trying to purchase 2006-2007 350Z convertible. After using the Durametric tool I am spoiled and feel I cannot really tell the condition of the car without the diagnostic tool.
We can only see event data recorder info on the GTR. The Consult 3+ can't read it on any other Nissan.