Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

revup swap into 03 z chassis...won't start with 06 ecu but will with 03...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Nismobluebyya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revup swap into 03 z chassis...won't start with 06 ecu but will with 03...?

long story short i bought a fixer-upper 03 350z with the DE motor installed. low and behold three months later the DE motor throws a rod on the highway, so i get my hands on an inexpensive revup motor from an 06 which had been totaled, thinking hey this should fit perfect and give me a few extra horsies so my buddy completes the swap, switches the harnesses from the 06, and everythings fully installed ready to go. he puts the 06 ecu in there...nothing. doesnt even turn over. after trying the 03, for some reason it starts right up. it is worth noting that i am SURE that the 06 had been running and tuned for a twin turbo setup for a couple months prior to his totalling the car and he had the UpRev tune on that ecu, but the engine runs strong even with the improper ecu. obviously, i don't want to run the wrong ecu due to the differences in the motors. took it to a local tuner who knows the UpRev tunes well, he doesn't think that the twin turbo tune even if it was running far too rich would keep it from even turning over. another thing worth noting is that the 03 ecu MAY have had a turbo setup on it at one point, its hard to say obviously the previous owner didnt mention it but it appeared the bumper had been cut to fit an intercooler. no other visible evidence. i already had one motor blow up on me not trying to take my chances, already have $$$$ in this thing. another buddy of mine thinks maybe the 06 has some immobilizer chip or setting that won't allow it to start due to anti theft and the ecu not matching something due to the 03 chassis? not really sure on that. so anyway three questions...
1) anyone have any idea if there is some sort of new system made after the 03s that would indicate that an immobilizer would keep the car from starting, being that either the motor or the key/ignition doesn't match the vehicle?
2) any idea how safe i am just running the 03 ecu on the revup motor as is? i just feel like i'm taking my chances even driving it....i already have for a couple hundred miles, but i kept it under 3k RPMs (due to the difference in high RPMs with the revup vs normal DE)
3) would getting a stock 06 ecu possibly allow the vehicle to start? i don't personally feel like it would but hey, let me know what you guys think.

anyway, thats my personal dilemma. any professional insight would definitely help, ive tried looking through the forums as best i could and even googling it and ive found NOTHING as far as anyone else who's even attempted this.
sincerely,
a concerned Z owner
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It could be NATS issue, your uprev tuner can disable it for you .
Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep sounds like a NATs issue, or the ECU is blown from the crash.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

NATS issue allows it to crank but fuel pump doesn't work. This car has a different problem
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 AM
nenismo350Z

Hi, I'm in the way of doing exactly the same, swaping a 2006 rev-up engine into a 2003 car. Haven't done yet but the guy is doing the job told me the only way to make it work is with an ECU from the exact same year, or better yet with the original ECU, and that I need key and everything else from the same ECU to be installed or it will never start, and that the ECUs and engine fourth digit have to be the same.
I know you all knew that, I just want to ask Nismobluebyya if he did all this swaping also, because as I said I'm about to do the same and I guess I'll have to deal with the same problems. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Nismobluebyya

Originally Posted by nenismo350Z
Hi, I'm in the way of doing exactly the same, swaping a 2006 rev-up engine into a 2003 car. Haven't done yet but the guy is doing the job told me the only way to make it work is with an ECU from the exact same year, or better yet with the original ECU, and that I need key and everything else from the same ECU to be installed or it will never start, and that the ECUs and engine fourth digit have to be the same.
I know you all knew that, I just want to ask Nismobluebyya if he did all this swaping also, because as I said I'm about to do the same and I guess I'll have to deal with the same problems. Thank you.
this is sort of what i figured i guess your guy kind of confirmed it, maybe it isn't an issue with the uprev tune...so what your guy is saying would basically mean we would need the key and ignition to match whatever ecu is being used? i was just going to try to find a stock 06 ecu as my next step, but seems like i would need the same ignition/key for it as well, so kind of pointless to do that. gonna have to try and contact the old owner of my 06 motor i suppose...if anyone has any more detailed info on how this works please post anything you know, we have two guys with the same issue up in here!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM
nenismo350Z

Hi, have you come with any solution for your issue? If not I bought a package of ECU, BCM, IPMD with the key at eBay for $510 + shipping, I sended to a friend in South Carolina and he will send it to Mexico, where I live. Everything is from a 2006 350Z with rev-up engine, 6 speed MT, with fourth digit A.
The thing is someone is offering me all of this here in Mexico for about the same price, so if you are interested I can sell you the ECU I bought that is still in South Carolina, I can afford to loose some money because I still would have to pay for the shipping to Mexico, so I could sell it for $490 + Paypal fees (the shipping would be included). So let me know if you are interested, if you need photos let me know, my email is argm_78@hotmail.com
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM
mike99101

Did you figure this out?

Originally Posted by Nismobluebyya
this is sort of what i figured i guess your guy kind of confirmed it, maybe it isn't an issue with the uprev tune...so what your guy is saying would basically mean we would need the key and ignition to match whatever ecu is being used? i was just going to try to find a stock 06 ecu as my next step, but seems like i would need the same ignition/key for it as well, so kind of pointless to do that. gonna have to try and contact the old owner of my 06 motor i suppose...if anyone has any more detailed info on how this works please post anything you know, we have two guys with the same issue up in here!