Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please help my car is possibly about to die

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Kelly1227

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help my car is possibly about to die

I have a 06 enthusiast with a standard transmission with 30,000 miles. Recently I've noticed the oil pressure gauge was reading dangerously low even though I still had a while before needing the oil changed. At the same time I noticed the car was making a noise comparable to some one sticking a card in bicycle tire spokes. I checked the oil and it was in fact low, but I could not find where it was leaking, nor could I find any actual evidence of a leak. I added oil and the same thing happened probably within the same month. I had the oil changed and everything was find for about 2 months. Well, now the oil gauge started fluctuating again and there's a LOUD rattling noise accompanying it. I checked the oil and the level is fine, however, now I've noticed a ring of fresh oil on the engine cover, located around the oil filler cap. It made the ring in the time it took me to start the car long enough to film the noise the car was making. Is something blocked somewhere preventing my engine from getting oil? The noise is terrifying. Can someone please help me diagnosis the problem? My car is paid off and I'm the original owner. I have seen how much parts are for this car, and its more terrifying than the noise its making I'm going to attempt to attach the video here but I'm new to forums so please bear with me. Two hours later I still cant figure out how to attach my video.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:44 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Exactly where is the noise coming from?
Old 09-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Kelly1227

I raised the hood and I don't hear it. Its when I'm in the drivers seat and it appears to make the noise when I let off of the gas. So definitely louder in the cab with the windows up. Maybe between me and the engine or under the floorboard but further towards the engine. I forgot to mention that now I smell a little bit of exhaust when I first start it. I recently had an issue with the catalytic converter, is it possible that I didn't tighten it enough so its causing some sort of back flow? I really wish I could attach the video so you guys could hear it.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Rather than solicit guesses, put the car up on jack stands and check the exhaust fittings. Since the sound only appears off-throttle, I'd GUESS that there's a joint or fastener loose.

This is probably not related to your low oil pressure, but I'm at a loss at how any of it can be "terrifying".
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Kelly1227

Great, so can anyone who isn't a cranky snob, possibly suffering from and autism spectrum disorder, respond to my post? The word terrifying was not meant to be taken in the literal sense. Furthermore, rather than have anyone "guess" at what could possibly be wrong, I was hoping someone may have experienced the same problem.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:20 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Why complain about how much parts are gonna cost, Bring it to the shop and have them diagnose the problem. You probably didnt search the forum for simular posts anyway, and will be paying money reguardless.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Kelly1227

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Why complain about how much parts are gonna cost, Bring it to the shop and have them diagnose the problem. You probably didnt search the forum for simular posts anyway, and will be paying money reguardless.
I didn't realize being concerned was complaining. My car has 30,000 miles, so if it's something major with the engine it would pretty much suck. I haven't driven it to a shop, out of fear of doing more harm to the car. I could have it towed, but as I figured I would try to repair it myself, I figured I would come on here first. Also, way to assume I haven't searched the forums. I paid a $30.00 membership fee, so I could post what the exact symptoms were since I couldn't find any thread where someone had posted them before. Clearly I've waisted my money.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly1227
Great, so can anyone who isn't a cranky snob, possibly suffering from and autism spectrum disorder, respond to my post? The word terrifying was not meant to be taken in the literal sense. Furthermore, rather than have anyone "guess" at what could possibly be wrong, I was hoping someone may have experienced the same problem.

I do not like your attitude nor tone. Autism is not something to associate with being an assh**e as your use of the terminology seems to suggest.

There was nothing but positivity suggested before you got all butthurt about someone merely mentioning your terror.

I would suggest that if you are going to pi$$ off and attempt to demean others - of long standing reputations here for always trying to help - you do a back step and carefully read what you wrote before hitting the < submit reply > key.

You may be a new premier member.... doesn't matter, you walk outside the rules of the forum by purposely dissing others, you can go for the forum's fastest banning.

Consider this your warning.
The following 6 users liked this post by MicVelo:
BluestreamDE (09-09-2017), iideadeyeii (09-11-2017), Kelly1227 (09-09-2017), travlee (09-11-2017), WYZIWYG (09-14-2017), zakmartin (09-11-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,060 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Noob just got bish slapped
zakmartin (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 AM
NissanZcrazy

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check to see if your pcv valve is stuck open causing you to suck excess oil into your engine.Or stuck closed causing too much pressure causing oil to get pushed out your filler cap etc.
AlsoThe rev up's were known for oil consumption too ..As for the rattle you're mentioning there's no way to know for sure until you pin point and exact area.Does it get louder with rpm?I hope I'm wrong for your sake but it sounds like you have internal Engine damage.
Also autism has nothing to do with being a dick.Your remarks about it were foolish and ignorant.

Last edited by NissanZcrazy; 09-10-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly1227

Good luck figuring it out.
BluestreamDE (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

That Z deserves a better owner...
Old 09-14-2017, 06:42 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,268 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Your car is an '06 with a stick shift, which means it's a Rev-Up (300HP, rather than 287HP). This is a one-year only engine (with the exception of the rare 35th Anniversary '05) and it's know to have oil consumption issues.

Change your oil and make sure it's filled exactly to the fill line on the dipstick. Drive normally for 30 days, then check the level. If you need to add more than one quart of oil, you have two choices... Replace the short block with a new (not used) one, or live with having to add oil every 30 days.

EDIT: I suggest you lay off the name calling, or folks who know a thing or two and have been here for many, many years (like me) will just ignore your future posts and let you flail in the wind.

Last edited by i8acobra; 09-14-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:56 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

am i following this correctly?
original owner of an 06 (so in theory- paid off since 2011...)
it only has 30,000 miles -
(so only 2,700 give or take-miles a year- just over 200 miles a month)
and worried about cost of a wrecker -
to tow it to a mechanic (cost again)

giving benefit of doubt- saying you bought the car at 16---you got to be at least 27 yoa- (or older) - and after 2 hours- can't figure out how to load up a video?
((our school system is failing))

then to top it off- thinking that buying a premier membership will grant powers of "all answers right now without enough information for a keyboard mechanic to figure out what exactly is wrong" is going to instantly provide the answers?

folks really want to help out- but with crazy stuff like this- it really does make folks just wanna flap their arms around and say.... things like .....terrifying...

and you give vague descriptions like the car makes noises like "card in bicycle spokes" - sounds like something hitting the fan blades to me...bur really- the "car" ? how about where are those noises coming from?

then the "rattle" - could be related to the low oil- but then-you toss in a post or two later- about the cat issue-but don't say what you did for that...so - that adds another part to a puzzle people are trying to solve using only your words...such as terrifying... to help you solve your problem.

( and a very quick search on the forums for your cars year and oil - definitely would have pointed out- like others have- about the oil consumption of that particular car)

so- just curious- in all this time of owning the car as the original owner- and the low mileage - exactly how many times have you changed the oil, and what sort of history of driving do you have? like - my rough estimate of 200 miles a month- you take it out for 50 mile highway rides on the weekends? track it? park it for 9 or so months- then add the miles during the summer doing city driving?

and finally- you are saying you want to work on the car yourself (at least thats what i am picking up on) -
how much actually engine work experience do you have?

you say that the prices of parts is more terrifying than the noise(s) that the car is making...
that in itself is terrifying...
and really terrifying-
not in the sense that you used the word...

really hoping that you are digging deep into the search functions on the forum,
and that you are seriously pondering spending the relatively cheap price to get the car to a mechanic for a skilled and trained eye/ear to see exactly what is going on before you jump into trying to shade tree mechanic repair the thing...