Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:21 PM
quintonjames666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy crank but no start

ill start off with the basics 2004 6mt base model z with 158k. since I've owned it its had two batteries, new alternator/belt, new throttle body, new crank and cam sensors, new fuel pump. the car had been idling rough on cold starts after i changed the alternator but would smoothen out after a little gas. i pulled into my drive way a few days ago and it stalls and dies so i go inside for a bit and come back out and it cranks but won't fire. hooked it up to my obd2 reader and 0 codes pop up. tried cranking it a few more times and then it throws a throttle body code so i go and pick up a re-man from auto zone. after i installed it i tried cranking it again and it turns on for a split second then gets rough and dies. i checked my code reader and 0 codes. did some research and decided to change all the sensors(crank and 2 cams) but to no avail. i checked all my fuses under the hood and all were showing battery voltage so i pulled my coil packs and had my roommate turn the car over and they all shocked me a little. i think the issue might be the bcm because its had some weird electrical issues like the warning sounds not coming on or the blinker sounds working and the interior roof light not working. i say bcm because it has some control over the NATS system and so far my red alarm light goes OFF when the key is ON and blinks with the key in the ignition. maybe it isn't getting enough spark idk i just don't want to throw money in the wrong direction when i can do diagnosis for free. any advice will be much appreciated and i hope I've given y'all enough info
Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Throwing in parts almost randomly isn't the best way (certainly not the most economical way) to repair a car. You might be angry at this point so I do not want to appear to be baiting you.

I wonder if your car is receiving an adequate fuel flow?
The following users liked this post:
quintonjames666 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM
quintonjames666

i wouldn't say i did anything randomly but w/e i appreciate your reply regardless. my obd2 reader can't show me adequate data to determine if the injectors are firing properly unless they throw a code or my short term fuel trim is way out of wack but that would require the car to be running. i pulled my spark plugs and they were dry so you have valid point but i can't do do much today because I'm a broke college student so homework and studying takes priority but my spring break starts monday so ill be getting elbow deep into the z then. if there are any other spots i should check just lmk
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM
FlashEvolution

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears there is a TSB for issues happening after removing or disconnecting the battery causing damage to electrical components. But, I would start with the basics with no start conditions - Fuel, ignition, compression. Here is a copy of the TSB along with a run down list of "crank no start" run down from ShopKey.

The following users liked this post:
quintonjames666 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:28 AM
quintonjames666

ill go through the check list of plausible items and keep y'all posted. thanks again!