Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Your opinion on JACKS. Daytona, Pittsburgh, Arcan...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Your opinion on JACKS. Daytona, Pittsburgh, Arcan...

Hello everyone,

Since I started wrenching I have been using this cheapo 1.5ton jack that I got from Harbor Freight on sale for like $50 a few years ago. Now that I'm starting to tackle more advanced jobs I'm looking for an upgrade and I'd like your expert opinions please. I'm also looking for 4 Jack stands.

With my current setup I am unable to jack from the front jack point because the jack wont reach. In the rear I can get the car off the ground using the Diff, however it will not go high enough to get my jack stands in.

My budget is not unlimited and would like to stay around $250.

So far I have found the following contenders, let me know which one you would choose or if you have another preferred model that I should get.

#1 Daytona DJ3000
This was my original choice as the reviews are great and seems to be a great deal for what it is. I can get it for around $150 after coupons. I bet I can keep this guy for a very long time. The only problem here is I'm afraid its still too short/high at the bottom to lift the Z in one shot. I wouldn't mind doing extra work if its worth it. Like your opinions

#2 Pittsburgh 3 ton ultra low
This seems like a great jack as well. It's rated at 3 tons and seems to be lower than the Daytona. Does anyone have any experience with this jack on the Z? I'm afraid like the Daytona this cannot lift the front up in one shot, and if this is the case then I would definitely go for the Daytona for the quality and similar price. the one is the cheapest one I found I can get it for around $80 after coupons

#3 Pittsburgh 2 ton low profile long reach
This jack looks to be the one that will for sure lift the Z in one shot. But because the Z will not be the only car that I will be lifting, I like to help my mom with her Sienna or I myself may get an SUV soon. Not sure if this Jack will do both jobs well. This one is about $110.

#4 Arcan XL2T
This one seems most legit however it is $200+. I'm leaning towards this one because it seems to be better quality vs the other ones and at the same time it seems to be low enough to get the Z up in one shot.

So which one would you choose and why?
Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

I have/use #2 for many years. No problems. Although my Z is stock height
The following users liked this post:
HOMiEZ (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:15 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Every time Harbor Freight puts out an ad that says it makes a better product than Snap-On, I choke a little on my own vomit.

That said, the higher end jacks Harbor Freight sells have a reputation to be decent for what they cost. Throw in a 20 percent off coupon with the jack coupon and you're getting the jack for almost nothing. I have a bunch of jacks for various purposes, but my go-to jack is an Arcan 3.5 ton I purchased at Costco for very little money. In hindsight, I wish I got two of them so I could lift the left and right side of the car at the same time (front or rear) and avoid using the crossmember jack point altogether.

For jack stands, the Craftsman versions you can get from Sears are fine. OTC makes really good jack stands, but the price difference between those and the Craftsman stands make the Craftsmans a better option. Whatever you do, don't go with some no-name brand on the jack stands since your life will depend on their ability not to fail.

Last edited by zakmartin; 04-04-2018 at 12:16 PM.
HOMiEZ (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM
HOMiEZ

Thanks guys. Zak i was hoping you would jump in.

Am I reading you right? Is trying to jack front he front center jack point without the crossmember adapter not a viable jack point?
zakmartin (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:12 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

The Arcan has no problem reaching the front crossmember if you go in from the side (meaning from behind the front wheel and under the door). Going in from the front can be a bit of a pain. As long as you angle the jack so there's enough room to put on a jack stand at the corner jacking point closest to where you're going in from, then you're golden. It'll make sense if you just look at where the crossmember is from the side of the car and imagine sliding a jack in there.

The rear's not a problem at all since you just need to lift the car from the differential, as per the FSM.

I don't think you'll need an adapter for any of the jacks you listed in your first post, but the longer and lower profile the jack is, the better. For obvious reasons, if the car's lowered, the dance becomes a bit more complicated.

Finally, I'd always go with a 3+ ton over a 2 ton jack since that'll give you more options for other applications. Also, the higher the jack's reach, the better, especially if you're going to be crawling around under the car. I think the Arcan I have will lift the car by 22 inches and the jack stands go up to about the same. Those heights have been good so far.
HOMiEZ (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I use #2 as well...no complaints based on the price point and function.

The low profile is great and I usually put a 2"x4" between the jack and chassis of the car and it clears fine. Also raises the car pretty high (like 23" or so).

If it's a downside of the jack it's crazy heavy!

none of the jacks will lift the car in a single pump...(I'm not sure if that's what you meant??)

Originally Posted by zakmartin
...Finally, I'd always go with a 3+ ton over a 2 ton jack since that'll give you more options for other applications...
+1 to the 3ton capacity for other applications

Last edited by bealljk; 04-04-2018 at 04:18 PM.
HOMiEZ (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 AM
LexD

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the HF "Low profile long reach" (#60678) for my G and C5. It will reach the front (from under the front fascia), and rear cross members on both cars with out issue. Both cars are at stock ride height.

I was on the fence between the budget option ~$120
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ump-60678.html

and the much more expensive AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ. ~$550
http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/us/produc...jacks/dk13hlq/

The HF jack has been working fine for well over 3 years now and counting. Saved some coin and bought some better jack stands.

Last edited by LexD; 04-05-2018 at 05:27 AM.
HOMiEZ (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 AM
HOMiEZ

thanks for the input. i was referring to getting both tries off the ground and getting both jack stands in without having to jack the car up twice.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM
FlashEvolution

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Pittsburgh 2 ton low profile long reach jack. I have owned it now for about 4 years with no issues and I am frequently working in the garage on a weekly basis and this jack has definitely been worth every single penny. I have a lowered Z, a lowered evo, and a stock ride height 98 Honda CRV (which has a ton of ground clearance) and the jack has always done its job well. I have also worked on vehicles as small and light as a Civic hatch to large heavy Suburbans. If by chance this jack does break one day, I will probably buy another.
HOMiEZ (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:30 PM
HOMiEZ

thanks man. this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.