Rear Brakes Stuck/Grinding - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear Brakes Stuck/Grinding

Old 09-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Bernardo Z33

Default Rear Brakes Stuck/Grinding

Hello everyone. I changed brake pads and rotors in May of this year and something bad happened. At first from the rear right wheel i got a squeak like my pads were worn and then it did it even when I wasn't braking. (Keep in mind yes I torqued everything and lubed it up) I then noticed that my gas mileage was going terrible and that my car was very slow. When I got home from work my front brakes were cool and my rear wheels were too hot for the touch. There is brake pad dust all over my white wheels and the rotors look scorched. It's only on the rear. It's not my wheel bearings I just changed them. When I brake after 10 minutes I hear a grinding sound. Is it possible for both of my calipers to get stuck at the same time? Both rear left and right were really hot as if they were stuck. I'm going to replace all rotors, pads with drilled and slotted ones, and the 2 rear brake calipers and rear brake hoses. Will this maybe fix the problem? Are there any physical signs on the caliper to tell if it's Stuck? Thanks guy sorry for the long post I just really need to get the car working as I'm using my wife's car right now. Thank you all
Old 09-13-2018, 02:37 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

You fail to mention how many miles were on your Z and what kind of condition the brakes are in. Did you inspect the caliper seals and pistons before pushing them back? Is there a chance they were cocked when they were retracted? Reinspect the caliper pistons and whether the pads or rotors need to be replaced again.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:01 PM
SpartaEvolution
Brake Expert

You said you lubed everything up, but just to be sure, did you clean and re-lube the slide pins and boots, clean or replace the pad clips, and apply grease to the edge of the pads where they sit in the clips? As DK said, if the pad or piston are kinked out of square, the high pressures of the brake system will do a pretty good job of preventing them from un-kinking themselves.

You may also want to try bleeding the brakes - it's possible (though not very common, depends on age/mileage) that you dislodged some debris in the line/caliper when you were pushing the piston back, which could be preventing the fluid from fully releasing pressure. Regardless, the fluid is probably toast now from all the heat which will only exacerbate the problem, so you should go ahead and bleed them anyways. I've had two rear calipers fail on my '06 4-door Z - both on the drivers side (once on original, 2nd time 6 months after installing reman caliper). Rebled/lubed/inspected a dozen times (and rebuilt once) but we never did figure out the cause, ended up getting a set of OE Brembos (and eventually Sparta c: though I'm back on the Brembos now for some long-term street compound testing).

Unfortunately, due to all the heat, it's probably a good idea to throw new pads/rotors at the rear too (or re-surface the rotors if they still have life), once you are able to solve the problem at hand.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
You said you lubed everything up, but just to be sure, did you clean and re-lube the slide pins and boots, clean or replace the pad clips, and apply grease to the edge of the pads where they sit in the clips? As DK said, if the pad or piston are kinked out of square, the high pressures of the brake system will do a pretty good job of preventing them from un-kinking themselves.

You may also want to try bleeding the brakes - it's possible (though not very common, depends on age/mileage) that you dislodged some debris in the line/caliper when you were pushing the piston back, which could be preventing the fluid from fully releasing pressure. Regardless, the fluid is probably toast now from all the heat which will only exacerbate the problem, so you should go ahead and bleed them anyways. I've had two rear calipers fail on my '06 4-door Z - both on the drivers side (once on original, 2nd time 6 months after installing reman caliper). Rebled/lubed/inspected a dozen times (and rebuilt once) but we never did figure out the cause, ended up getting a set of OE Brembos (and eventually Sparta c: though I'm back on the Brembos now for some long-term street compound testing).

Unfortunately, due to all the heat, it's probably a good idea to throw new pads/rotors at the rear too (or re-surface the rotors if they still have life), once you are able to solve the problem at hand.
the Z has 156k on it. I did everything you just said. Relubed all and torque correctly. I got the front rotors and pads on today. Doing the rear tommoro w. I'm going to bleed them and everything. Idk what it could be. They were really rusty tho
Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bernardo Z33 View Post
the Z has 156k on it. I did everything you just said. Relubed all and torque correctly. I got the front rotors and pads on today. Doing the rear tommoro w. I'm going to bleed them and everything. Idk what it could be. They were really rusty tho
156K is a lot of miles. Depending on what kind of maintenance the rear brakes received, the rear seals and dust boots may be toast. What kind of shape were they in? Second, do you understand what we're saying about the rear caliper pistons being pushed back in a kinked fashion? If the pistons do not smoothly retract into their bores, they can get stuck and would cause the pads to be jammed against the rotors. Bleeding the system and lubing the other brake parts won't necessarily fix this condition. You may need to rebuild the calipers to allow them to function properly again.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
156K is a lot of miles. Depending on what kind of maintenance the rear brakes received, the rear seals and dust boots may be toast. What kind of shape were they in? Second, do you understand what we're saying about the rear caliper pistons being pushed back in a kinked fashion? If the pistons do not smoothly retract into their bores, they can get stuck and would cause the pads to be jammed against the rotors. Bleeding the system and lubing the other brake parts won't necessarily fix this condition. You may need to rebuild the calipers to allow them to function properly again.
the pistons did go back in smoothly. Like I said this was in may, 4 months ago and until now they're giving problems. I bought the hoses and the calipers and I'm going to replace them
Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 AM
onevq35de

I'd consider the VDC. It will affect the rear brakes and I think fuel in order to kill your joy, as if it knows how to drive better than u. My problem was not nearly as pronounced as your's is, but similar. Hot rears, warm to cool fronts, excessive brake dust on the rear wheels, lack luster acceleration and perhaps a noticeable decrease in mileage. I'm not sure how many times I've come across something in regards to excessive rear brake dust and the need for frequent rear brake replacement on the z's & g's. I pulled my VDC relay and I'm good to go.