would you buy a single owner 350z with 220k miles? - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Go Back  MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion > 350Z Tech Area > Maintenance & Repair
Reload this Page >

would you buy a single owner 350z with 220k miles?

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

would you buy a single owner 350z with 220k miles?

Old 12-12-2018, 04:58 PM
  #1  
xxoczukxx
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default would you buy a single owner 350z with 220k miles?

im unsure if this is the right forum, please move me if wrong.

im looking at a 2008 nismo, one owner who claims it was 80 highway miles per day. the only visible issue i see is a bit of rust on the drivers side quarter panel, which would require some repair. ill include a picture of it.

the price is 10k, which seems fair but the mileage is crazy high.

here is a quote from the poster on the care given to the car

"fluids were changed at the specified intervals. The clutch, throw-out bearing and slave cylinder were changed with OEM Nissan parts at 210k, The cold air intake that was previously on the car was refreshed with a new cold air intake 6 months ago along with a new OEM Nismo exhaust and new OEM A/C compressor and A/C blows Ice cold, All wheel bearings have been changed on the car as well."
it honestly seems well taken care of. do you guys think this is a good deal?

xxoczukxx is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:24 PM
  #2  
Spike100
350Z-holic
 
Spike100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edina, Minnesota
Posts: 6,928
Thanked 120 Times in 109 Posts
Default

The rust you notice (and show in your Pic ) is common on 350z cars. It happens when the car (which is shipped from Japan) has its suspension chained and pulled very tightly. This results in a very slight (almost imperceptible) separation of the rear inner fender lining to its fender, and years later you see some rust on the edge of the rear fender.

I dealt with this on my 2003 350z by cutting out the rusted metal and welding in a new piece I shaped to replace the rusted area.
Spike100 is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:26 PM
  #3  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,681
Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,356 Posts
Default

Personally, I would never buy a car with those kinds of miles but that's just me. $10k.... seems high but since '08 Nismos are still going for (asking for I mean) over $20k, guess that's about par. I'd be concerned that the seller couldn't address something like that rust on an exterior lip, makes me wonder what the rest of the chassis/componentry looks like.

But as with anybody asking "Is this a good price?" the only one who can make that determination is the prospective buyer AFTER A PPI.
MicVelo is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:34 PM
  #4  
Spike100
350Z-holic
 
Spike100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edina, Minnesota
Posts: 6,928
Thanked 120 Times in 109 Posts
Default

I agree with Mic (about the mileage liability).

And (my opinion)... If you see rust on a high mileage car, there is more that is coming (and that you don't see right now). Rust ruins a car, and you cannot keep up with the repairs unless you are willing to pay a lot of $$'s. It just gets worse.

Last edited by Spike100; 12-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Spike100 is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM
  #5  
xxoczukxx
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Spike100 View Post
The rust you notice (and show in your Pic ) is common on 350z cars. It happens when the car (which is shipped from Japan) has its suspension chained and pulled very tightly. This results in a very slight (almost imperceptible) separation of the rear inner fender lining to its fender, and years later you see some rust on the edge of the rear fender.

I dealt with this on my 2003 350z by cutting out the rusted metal and welding in a new piece I shaped to replace the rusted area.

i was figuring id have to do something like that if that was the only rust there was. thank you for the info


Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Personally, I would never buy a car with those kinds of miles but that's just me. $10k.... seems high but since '08 Nismos are still going for (asking for I mean) over $20k, guess that's about par. I'd be concerned that the seller couldn't address something like that rust on an exterior lip, makes me wonder what the rest of the chassis/componentry looks like.

But as with anybody asking "Is this a good price?" the only one who can make that determination is the prospective buyer AFTER A PPI.
Yea that makes sense. a good condition 07 nismo is on sale near me for 15k with only 46k miles. that 5k is probably not as much as itd cost if the older one ends up having a boatload of issues..

Originally Posted by Spike100 View Post
I agree with Mic (about the mileage liability).

And (my opinion)... If you see rust on a high mileage car, there is more that is coming (and that you don't see right now). Rust ruins a car, and you cannot keep up with the repairs unless you are willing to pay a lot of $$'s. It just gets worse.

hmmm i may have to get an inspection done on it then, to see what the extent of rust is. if its JUST that, thats liveable. but if its more, then that is a definite dodge for me thank you for your input
xxoczukxx is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 06:19 PM
  #6  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,681
Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,356 Posts
Default

$15k for a clean 46k Nismo?! If you donít buy it, pm me the link. Serious. Thatís a good price!

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-12-2018 at 06:51 PM.
MicVelo is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM
  #7  
travlee
Master
iTrader: (8)
 
travlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,831
Thanked 5,748 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default

OP is a balla on a budget
travlee is online now  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 AM
  #8  
bad boyz
Registered User
 
bad boyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nashville,Tn.
Posts: 293
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Mileage is way to high I'd use much caution your probably talking about rebuilding engine pretty soon and replacing all kinds of seals,the low mileage Nismo is a way better deal for the 5000.00 extra at the end of the day,it may be worth it if he brought down the price 4000.00 to 5000.00 only then would I'd be interested if you have time to wait and keep looking I would do that,there is always a better deal somewhere else!!
bad boyz is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 AM
  #9  
xxoczukxx
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
$15k for a clean 46k Nismo?! If you donít buy it, pm me the link. Serious. Thatís a good price!
haha im tempted.

would you go for that over a different nismo i seen with 113k miles for 12k?


Originally Posted by bad boyz View Post
Mileage is way to high I'd use much caution your probably talking about rebuilding engine pretty soon and replacing all kinds of seals,the low mileage Nismo is a way better deal for the 5000.00 extra at the end of the day,it may be worth it if he brought down the price 4000.00 to 5000.00 only then would I'd be interested if you have time to wait and keep looking I would do that,there is always a better deal somewhere else!!
46k miles for 15k or 113k miles for 12?
xxoczukxx is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:39 AM
  #10  
iideadeyeii
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lawtown
Posts: 2,804
Thanked 213 Times in 171 Posts
Default

Two owners. . .The person who owned the car and the dealership who now owns it

https://www.lenardomotors.com/2008_N...J_22590619.veh
iideadeyeii is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 AM
  #11  
travlee
Master
iTrader: (8)
 
travlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,831
Thanked 5,748 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default

travlee is online now  
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
  #12  
xxoczukxx
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MA
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by travlee View Post
its beautiful, but i think im gonna go for the nismo with 46k miles it seems like a great deal for me. im really trying to find an HR
xxoczukxx is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM
  #13  
Tochigi_236
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 199
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Run and don't look back. It's "one owner", but the guy selling it apparently bought/acquired it through his or a friends dealership in April, and has been driving it since. Somehow, it's been at 220k for 8 months.
Tochigi_236 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JSeide36
Zs & Gs For Sale
4
11-24-2013 01:45 PM
spljeremy
Zs & Gs For Sale
13
07-08-2013 07:06 AM
eladm
Buying/Leasing
36
09-10-2009 10:48 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: would you buy a single owner 350z with 220k miles?


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: