Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Right turn signal and horn do not work. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 04:10 PM
milkydoritos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right turn signal and horn do not work. Help?

My right turn signal and my horn did not work since Ive bought my Z a few months ago. To give some detail, when I flick on my right signal, the exterior lights do not flash but the dash light flashes once and stops. Also, my hazards do not work either. Yes, I've replaced every single bulb in this car. With my horn, I replaced the fuse and my horn did work but it blows the fuse if I hold the horn for more than two seconds. I bought an OEM clock spring and installed it, replaced the horn fuse, started up the car and this changed nothing, same thing happens still.

Could this be a wire that's farther into the steering column that is shot, or maybe even my BCM?
Old 03-07-2022, 05:15 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by milkydoritos
My right turn signal and my horn did not work since Ive bought my Z a few months ago. To give some detail, when I flick on my right signal, the exterior lights do not flash but the dash light flashes once and stops. Also, my hazards do not work either. Yes, I've replaced every single bulb in this car. With my horn, I replaced the fuse and my horn did work but it blows the fuse if I hold the horn for more than two seconds. I bought an OEM clock spring and installed it, replaced the horn fuse, started up the car and this changed nothing, same thing happens still.

Could this be a wire that's farther into the steering column that is shot, or maybe even my BCM?
Welcome.
Let's start by not assuming these 2 problems are related although it's possible.

The turn signal/hazzards issue appears to be a flasher relay issue. Does the left turn signal work correctly?
I understand you've changed out your steering wheel clock spring but you didn't mention why. Were the horn or cruise buttons not working? Have you thoroughly inspected your wiring from the horn backwards to the harness? Gl!
Old 03-07-2022, 05:28 AM
milkydoritos

Originally Posted by jhc
Welcome.
Let's start by not assuming these 2 problems are related although it's possible.

The turn signal/hazzards issue appears to be a flasher relay issue. Does the left turn signal work correctly?
I understand you've changed out your steering wheel clock spring but you didn't mention why. Were the horn or cruise buttons not working? Have you thoroughly inspected your wiring from the horn backwards to the harness? Gl!
Yes the left turn signal works perfectly. A detail I forgot to add is the fact that the cars airbags have went off and were never replaced. When I took a look at the old clock spring, the wires were "melted" and I figured that was causing my problem with my horn... The melted wires were shorting causing my horn fuse to blow, although that was not the case. With my cruise control, I can turn it on but I cant set a cruise speed or anything, only the dash light comes on. I have taken a look at as much wiring to the horn as I could without taking stuff apart, didnt find anything though.

Also, I thought the 350z didnt have a flasher relay. I thought that it was all controlled by the BCM?
Old 03-08-2022, 03:26 PM
milkydoritos

Originally Posted by milkydoritos
Yes the left turn signal works perfectly. A detail I forgot to add is the fact that the cars airbags have went off and were never replaced. When I took a look at the old clock spring, the wires were "melted" and I figured that was causing my problem with my horn... The melted wires were shorting causing my horn fuse to blow, although that was not the case. With my cruise control, I can turn it on but I cant set a cruise speed or anything, only the dash light comes on. I have taken a look at as much wiring to the horn as I could without taking stuff apart, didnt find anything though.

Also, I thought the 350z didnt have a flasher relay. I thought that it was all controlled by the BCM?
Ok well I got a cable and used nissan data scan 2 and I have nothing wrong with my bcm or clock spring or anything of that sorts. So the best conclusion is just wiring just happens to be bad for both the turn signal and the horn?