Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

To Lemon Law or Not to Lemon Law

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:05 PM
harrjar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Lemon Law or Not to Lemon Law

I know there have been many threads on this topic, but I wanted to get opinions specifically for my situation...

I have had my Z since May 03. Since I got it, I have had it in the shop maybe 8-10 times for just about everything. Here are the problems:

1.) Warping interior plastic (especially around the Nav opening)
2.) Rattles in the dash
3.) Rattling Rear-view mirror
4.) Rattling Clutch noises when idling in neutral
5.) Window Grease
6.) Window Creaking
7.) Random transmission grinds going into 2nd (happend about 8 times so far but not lately)
8.) Cloth seats getting fuzzy around the side bosters
9.) Tire Feathering
10.) Pulling to the right
11.) Stearing wheel off center
12.) Chirping tailgate
13.) Weak tailgate struts (wouldn't hold the weight of the tailgate in the cold)
14.) Headlights have "soap scum" on them, all foggy
15.) Broken tailgate stopper (don't know how?!)
16.) Chipping paint on the under-side corners of the tailgate
17.) Strange metalic rattling from the rear somewhere
18.) Squeaky, dusty breaks
19.) Porposing (pretty bad and rather uncomfortable)
20.) Defective, rattling trim ring around the stick shift
21.) Coating on the metal top of the stick is worn off already, looks very ugly

...I think that's it but I can't really remember. So lots of these things have been fixed but lots still haven't and my dealership is getting pretty sick of me. I had to replace my destroyed tires at my own expense and haven't driven long enough to see if the feathering is fixed or not but I don't have any confidence that it is. Also, they blow me off about the tranny, the seats, the headlights, and the porposing. And I'm just tired of sticking foam and replacing cheap plastic only to have things rattle again. It'll only be time before any plastic they replaced starts making noise again.

So, I have a lawyer and he thinks he can win. What I'm hung up on is that I have to pay court costs. Whether I win or loose (I think). It looks like it could be up to $1000, maybe more for the worst case scenario. I have already put so much time and money into this car, I would hate to pay a grand and loose. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. I have been weighing my options and I really can't make up my mind. I guess it's only because, in spite of it all, I am really in love with the Z. It's the car I want, I just want it to work and not cause me stress or financial burden anymore.

Even if it does cost me a grand, there's absolutely no cheaper way to get out of this car. I'm very in the negative as are we all, I'm sure.

But is it better to live with a crappy Z, than no Z at all? What would you do?

Thanks for the help. I've made too many adult decisions lately and I just don't want to make this one without consulting someone.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
350ed
Professional

Quite a few people have gone through the BBB arbitration and that shouldn't cost anything. From what you listed, I don't think you have a case but maybe count matters. Usually it's multiple tries to fix the same thing (3+ times) and it's still broken.
For your seats, there's a TSB for it. Same with the headlights. Try a different dealer or call Nissan NA.
Destroyed tires? From feathering? They should have replaced them if there was feathering -> TSB.

Porposing will have to be fixed by you since we all have it
For your brakes, go with HPS Hawk pads for less dust.
I'd keep it and find a better dealer.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Boomer

Default Re: To Lemon Law or Not to Lemon Law

Originally posted by harrjar
I know there have been many threads on this topic, but I wanted to get opinions specifically for my situation...

I have had my Z since May 03. Since I got it, I have had it in the shop maybe 8-10 times for just about everything. Here are the problems:

1.) Warping interior plastic (especially around the Nav opening)
2.) Rattles in the dash
3.) Rattling Rear-view mirror
4.) Rattling Clutch noises when idling in neutral
5.) Window Grease
6.) Window Creaking
7.) Random transmission grinds going into 2nd (happend about 8 times so far but not lately)
8.) Cloth seats getting fuzzy around the side bosters
9.) Tire Feathering
10.) Pulling to the right
11.) Stearing wheel off center
12.) Chirping tailgate
13.) Weak tailgate struts (wouldn't hold the weight of the tailgate in the cold)
14.) Headlights have "soap scum" on them, all foggy
15.) Broken tailgate stopper (don't know how?!)
16.) Chipping paint on the under-side corners of the tailgate
17.) Strange metalic rattling from the rear somewhere
18.) Squeaky, dusty breaks
19.) Porposing (pretty bad and rather uncomfortable)
20.) Defective, rattling trim ring around the stick shift
21.) Coating on the metal top of the stick is worn off already, looks very ugly

...I think that's it but I can't really remember. So lots of these things have been fixed but lots still haven't and my dealership is getting pretty sick of me. I had to replace my destroyed tires at my own expense and haven't driven long enough to see if the feathering is fixed or not but I don't have any confidence that it is. Also, they blow me off about the tranny, the seats, the headlights, and the porposing. And I'm just tired of sticking foam and replacing cheap plastic only to have things rattle again. It'll only be time before any plastic they replaced starts making noise again.

So, I have a lawyer and he thinks he can win. What I'm hung up on is that I have to pay court costs. Whether I win or loose (I think). It looks like it could be up to $1000, maybe more for the worst case scenario. I have already put so much time and money into this car, I would hate to pay a grand and loose. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. I have been weighing my options and I really can't make up my mind. I guess it's only because, in spite of it all, I am really in love with the Z. It's the car I want, I just want it to work and not cause me stress or financial burden anymore.

Even if it does cost me a grand, there's absolutely no cheaper way to get out of this car. I'm very in the negative as are we all, I'm sure.

But is it better to live with a crappy Z, than no Z at all? What would you do?

Thanks for the help. I've made too many adult decisions lately and I just don't want to make this one without consulting someone.
Call NNA, report your dealer as unable or unwilling to repair your car and ask them to find you a dealer who can. Keep any and all receipts from your original dealer and get it fixed. Right now, your case is marginal, but you might win, unless you don't have a fault that hasn't been repaired in 3 tries. If another dealer can't fix your problems, and NNA basically won't help you, Lemon Law or BBB the car. You always buy another later if you want a Z, but yours sounds like the dealers techs are incompetent, just lazy or both. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:39 PM
boxsterkiller

harrjar I am a pre order Z owner I got my Z in 10/02. I have all the Z problems. I think the dealer(my 3rd) is also sick of me. The incompetent and lazy techs at all the dealers Ive been too are also the problem. They always scratch something or **** something up. I do'nt want to wait for another problem to arise or wait for my warrenty to be over. I also love my Z and I have recently gotten a laywer who said Nissan is one of the hardest manufactures to buy back. Also you should'nt pay for anything check Az lemon law, Nissan is paying my for my attorney. I heard BBB has something to do with nissan(sponser or something?) I also do'nt want to waste my time with the 1800 # for Nissan to talk to some chick customer service rep that do'nt know **** about cars. The hardest decision is if I am going to get another Z. I could get the money or a 04 Z no miles, but I still hear about the front suspension problem on the 04. I would like to upgrade for free to a Track model for my aches and pains. Well good luck let me know what happens.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:41 PM
harrjar

Thanks Boxterkiller!

I totally agree with you. My Z has been in the hands of the dealership for up to three days at a time. They have had ample time to fix things in my book, and the lawyer I'm speaking with agrees. A lot of people recognize the lemon law as only having to do with the number of times something hasn't been fixed. Actually there are many different avenues you can take when going after Nissan. The Lemon Law in AZ includes a statute that says if your car has been in repair for more than 30 hrs. Well, I know it has been in the dealer's hands for much more than that.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't have paid the money for this car if I knew how much of a pain it would be. I way overpaid for my Z as it was and I just had much higher exectations of the level of quality I would receive for my money.

Maybe my problems don't seem that extreme by comparison but so many different things have gone wrong it really has affected the enjoyment and functioning of the vehicle. And that in itself is a valid basis for a case in court.

Now, I would like the buy-back option and would just wait a while before getting a new Z. It's the car I want, I just want to be among the lucky people who have great Z cars with no problems.

So, Nissan would be paying my attorney's fees as well but apparently I'm responsilble for paying the court fees. You better check with your lawyer on that, I'd hate for you to be stuck with an unexpected bill. The fact that I will be responsbile for some unknown amount of court fees has been my only hang-up so far. I'm not sure if I have to pay those whether I win or lose. Of course, I didn't ask for this law suit, if I win then why can't Nissan pay those costs too?

No one has ever paid us for our time either. People keep reccommending that I find a new dealer...well thanks but I've been through three already. Currently I have to drive an hour and a half each way and usually end up leaving my car there for days. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of wasting my time, I'm sick of tacking on all those extra miles, I'm sick of having zero ownership experience for my money, and I'm sick of an expensive car not meeting reasonable expectations.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm waiting to hear from my lawyer. Once I get comfortable with some of my concerns...I'm going to stick it to Nissan. Not just Nissan but the dirty, piece of **** dealership I got it from. Don't ever buy ANYTHING from Desert Nissan in Las Vegas. That was the single worst experience of my life, but also one of the best learning experiences. I will never let that happen to me again. By the way, I still don't have the original window sticker for my car! Can you believe that? They never gave it to me...which I now know is totally illegal. So I'd like everything to be like the Z never happened and just start from scratch.

Peace.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:59 AM
bmurphy73

Originally posted by harrjar
Whatever you do, know that a claim under the lemon lawshould cost you nothing. If your lawyer is telling you otherwise, get a new lawyer. Whatever you do, don't pay your lawyer *anything* until you talk to another lawyer. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, and I can give you a couple of lawyers to talk to.

-Bmurph