Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Ron Jeremy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
Has it been determined that the 2005 model does not have the feathering issue? Have any owners put 6000 or 10000 miles on a 2005 and had no issues?

I have an opportunity to loose my 2003 Z and pick up a 2005 Z at a fairley good deal. I don not want to reaquire the old issue with the new vehicle, any information regarding the feathering issue would be appreciated.

Will some one please answer this? I also have a chance to ge a steal on a new 2005 touring model for only $30K. Please, I need to know if the 05's experience the same problem before I go and dump the cash.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
badmrscary

I already did, read my previous post...................2005, 9k miles, no probs.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Ron Jeremy

Originally Posted by badmrscary
I already did, read my previous post...................2005, 9k miles, no probs.

Thanks Bro, must have missed that post in my haste.

Anyone else with an 05' have a story to share?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
arejohn

Jason, where are you getting your new alignment specs?

"NEW TOE ANGLE ALIGNMENT SPECS....

All alignment spec's are the same except tow in is now 1mm (0.04") normal, and adjustable to 0mm (0.00") minimal and 2mm (0.08") Maximum...

compared to before where normal was 2mm (0.08")..."

Last I saw documented from Nissan had the spec numbers the same but updated with the comment that "2mm is preferred with no left to right variation." It's dated April 2004. What doc are you referring to?

The change in the tie rod ends and spindle might indicate that changes have been made to the Ackerman. Any way to confirm?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:42 AM
yeperra

I have and 05 35th with 3500 miles on it. I had a 4 wheel alignment done at 900mi because of ware on the front inside of the tread. Set toe at "0". At 3000 miles tires show more ware only on the inside so I decided to take measurements on my own. I measured the temp of the tread after driving approx 50mi on the freeway. I did this using a type K thermocouple and getting readings for the inside tread blocks,107-107 deg F then the outside tread blocks, 94-95deg F. I figured that the ware was coming from friction I.E. HEAT! I then added some toe in to make the inside ware less. I have know idea how much because I have no way of measuring it but I rotated each tie-rod 60 deg using the jamb nut as a guide. After driving another 50 miles I measured the temps of both inside ond outside of the tire tread and the temps are within 2 deg F about 103-104 deg F. This didn't have any effect on the way the car drove and it does not pull or do anything goofy. The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is that the rear seems to be waring flat accross the tread with no temp diffenence just that they read about 8-10 deg cooler than the fronts. I would have thought that with the weight front to rear at 53 47 the temps would be closer. Maybe its the tire size being larger in the rear and not loaded as much that makes them run cooler. Anyway I didn't feel I had much to loose with this experiment so I'll post in another 3-4 thousand miles.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:13 PM
arejohn

Great Info. Why was the toe set at zero?

I run 35 cold f and r. Hot days rises to 40. F and R seem to rise at same rate. Does this support the increased size of the rear tires running cooler. I am going to get batteries for my temp probe and check it out on my 05. It his 5k miles and no sign (testing with hand feel) of feathering but I am not watching for other wear effects.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
yeperra

The toe was set to zero because we thought that would mean the tires would not have any scuffing action with the highway. I guess we messed up. As for the pressures mine rise and fall about the same from front to rear. I started with 34 lbs and when I made the temp measurements on the tread the pressure was 37-38psi. Not sure how good the TPS are but they seem to be pretty close when checked with a gage.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
jblack

I started to notice road noise over time on my 04 enthusiast. It wasn't until last week that I noticed the inside of the driver's front tire was dangerously low on tread. I checked this site this morning, looked over my warranty, and took my car into the dealer this afternoon. I am happy to say my car drives sooooo much smoother now, like it's sitting on a cloud, and the only noise I hear is the purr of the engine. Night and day difference.

I had 28,000 miles on my 04 with about 1 year left on the basic warranty. Nissan gave me 2 new front tires and the invoice says they adjusted the front toe-in. The cost to me was $128 because they prorated my tires. I was informed that the problem was due to the original tires, and that the new tire they are using has more tread on the ends. When asked if the problem was an alignment issue that would feather the new tires, I was told that any alignments would be covered at no extra cost and that the problem should now be resolved.

Has anyone found the problem to be the tires and not the front end alignment? I got away with 28,000 miles on the factory rubber, but anymore could have blown that front tire. I take my car into the dealer religiously to get serviced, I just wonder why they didn't point out this issue earlier during those point inspections. Either way I'm satisfied, I had no appointment and the turnaround was about 2 hours.

What is the cost of the extended warranty? Do you guys think a 60,000 extension would be a good investment seeing as how the window motors will need replacement (driver's side has been replaced free, passenger's side still works but is slow as hell).
Old 10-13-2005, 07:09 PM
nightmare

Default tires replaced

I have posted on here several times before with my 04 track model tire problems. a couple of weeks ago i decided to give it one last attempt at nna. last week i received a call from them that the dealer would replace my tires, and they did to my amazement. I guess they are finally fessing up to the problems with the 04s as well. the car is riding great and yes it does feel like I too am riding on a cloud. Keep complaining to NNA, its working.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:01 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by jblack
I started to notice road noise over time on my 04 enthusiast. It wasn't until last week that I noticed the inside of the driver's front tire was dangerously low on tread. I checked this site this morning, looked over my warranty, and took my car into the dealer this afternoon. I am happy to say my car drives sooooo much smoother now, like it's sitting on a cloud, and the only noise I hear is the purr of the engine. Night and day difference.

I had 28,000 miles on my 04 with about 1 year left on the basic warranty. Nissan gave me 2 new front tires and the invoice says they adjusted the front toe-in. The cost to me was $128 because they prorated my tires. I was informed that the problem was due to the original tires, and that the new tire they are using has more tread on the ends. When asked if the problem was an alignment issue that would feather the new tires, I was told that any alignments would be covered at no extra cost and that the problem should now be resolved.

Has anyone found the problem to be the tires and not the front end alignment? I got away with 28,000 miles on the factory rubber, but anymore could have blown that front tire. I take my car into the dealer religiously to get serviced, I just wonder why they didn't point out this issue earlier during those point inspections. Either way I'm satisfied, I had no appointment and the turnaround was about 2 hours.

What is the cost of the extended warranty? Do you guys think a 60,000 extension would be a good investment seeing as how the window motors will need replacement (driver's side has been replaced free, passenger's side still works but is slow as hell).
You lucked out with your dealership service dept. Mine will not or has not honored the basic warranty issues with my Z. Those include seat clicking/instability, thumping noise at idle with the AC on, rough idle. There are a few other issues ,but i avoid my service dept like the plague. Unfortunately they're the only nissan game in town so i will be forced to eventually use them.

When the tire issue comes up ill take it to an independant tire service center. In my case the thought of even putting one more dime into an extended warranty when the dealership will not honor the original is madness.

Hope your luck holds out.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 AM
cal_z

jblack, I have the extended warranty on my 03, and that was the one mistake I made when I bought this car. It is useless. As another forum reader has already stated, NISSAN has a problem honoring the original warranty, much less try and honor a warranty that is suppose to pick up for another three years and up to 100,000 mls. I am at 35,000 mls. now and will be going into the extended warranty period soon. I had my window on the passenger side worked on also and so far so good. The feathering I still have. ................... oh well.

Originally Posted by jblack

Old 10-22-2005, 01:05 PM
pensacolaz

I got a call from Nissan yesterday and they told me they are not going to reimburse me for the tires I had replaced in May ( I paid for 4 tires myself)...not even for the alignment. Their reasoning is that my Good year F1 are not the same size as the factory tires. My answer is that I had the factory tires replaced twice and the last time they refused to comp me so my only alternative is to purchase the tires myself. Of course, I'm not going to get the same tires that wore out after 8k miles. So apparently this warranty extension is B.S. I told them I'm taking them to court for my lemon. She just told me she'd make note of the complaint. I have 2003 model and haven't notice any tire wear on the Goodyear after 4k miles but I'll have to wait and see.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by pensacolaz
I got a call from Nissan yesterday and they told me they are not going to reimburse me for the tires I had replaced in May ( I paid for 4 tires myself)...not even for the alignment. Their reasoning is that my Good year F1 are not the same size as the factory tires. My answer is that I had the factory tires replaced twice and the last time they refused to comp me so my only alternative is to purchase the tires myself. Of course, I'm not going to get the same tires that wore out after 8k miles. So apparently this warranty extension is B.S. I told them I'm taking them to court for my lemon. She just told me she'd make note of the complaint. I have 2003 model and haven't notice any tire wear on the Goodyear after 4k miles but I'll have to wait and see.
Interesting. How is the road noise with your F1's compared to the factory issue tire? I think mine maybe getting progressively worse esp when coming to a stop. How has your overall experience been with your dealership's service dept if thats the one you originally bought car from?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:13 PM
pensacolaz

There is no road noise yet. It drives great for now. The last time I brought my car in to complain about the feathering, my dealership just gave me the number to Nissan. I called Nissan and they were the ones who told me they will not comp me. My dealership still doesn't admit to the design flaw and their service department is terrible. I left very negative remarks on the evaluation of their performance when I service my Z. I'm still very disappointed with Nissan on this tire feathering issue.