Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:14 PM
j-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

All,
This post builds off posts that I've seen from misel00 (03/19/04), overzealous (01/30/04) and droideka (01/07/04).

I've got a '04 350Z, build date 10/03--I just rolled past 4K miles and have already been to Nissan on three separate occassions to get my alignment issue resolved. As of yet, the problem remains!

This is enough--they're messing with the wrong people! I've read hundreds of posts on this site from individuals that have experienced this same problem--the service and support from Nissan on this matter is absolutely appalling.

I want to solicit your help! We will never get Nissan Motor Corporation to fix this issue unless we go in as a united front--it's the old parable, "united we stand, divided we fall" (or in this case, fail).

The only way we can do this is if we have our problems documented, our names, our numbers, our locations, our SERVICE RECORDS.

I've set up an email account at yahoo (owners350Z@yahoo.com). I've done this for three reasons:
1.) I dont want to overwhelm this message board with posts from this community on this issue,
2.) Too difficult to document this information via posts in a chat forum,
3.) I'd like to help maintain the integrity of the confidentiality of the users of this site.

I need your help and your trust with this information (please email to above account listed):
1.) Name
2.) Address
3.) Vehicle information (year, model, vin #)
4.) Dates of documented service (full date), issue, resolution

From what I've seen, most of us have been in on multiple occassions, I need each occassion documented. Further, even if this has been resolved to your satisfaction, I need your information either way as we have to be able to show how many individuals this issue as impacted. I will never had time to respond to each of these emails, I can only document what has been forwarded to me.

This may not be a lemon law issue (differs from state to state), but this has major recall campaign written all over it! I'd like to try and collect this data over the course of the next month (through April 22)--this requires nothing from you other than what I've asked above and your trust that I will not violate your confidentiality!

I know I'm just some guy on a website thats asking for some absurdly confidential information, but we can't move forward without it. We will start first with Nissan Consumer Affairs--I'm already working with my local Better Business Bureau on this issue--we have to go after them from as many angles as possible.

Guys, we need to take this seriously--random rants as responses to this post wont help our cause. Also, I'm not sure of the size of this user community, but we also need to find a way to get in touch with people outside--I'll take recommendations in this area...?

Attn Moderators - I formally apologize to you if I'm breaking rules of this forum, thats not my intention. I just want to help everyone such as myself that is being jerked around my Nissan. If this is acceptable, I'm also asking that this 'post' be changed to a 'note' item such at it doesn't just get lost in the rolling posts section as more daily items get posted. I'd like to be listed as a 'top line' issue to get as much visibility as possible.

Attn Misel00 / Overzealous / Droideka - I will PM you separately--if you are serious about your attempts to get resolution from Nissan, then I strongly recommend that we touch case and coordinate our efforts.

Please understand, I love my car--I just want it fixed properly, once and for all.

Help us help ourselves!

thanks
Joshua Hughes,
SJ, CA

Last edited by j-man; 03-22-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:18 PM
j-man

One further thing, I understand that multiple TSB's have been issued on this--I only have a copy of one, TSB#: NTB03-046. If there are more current copies, kindly forward a PDF file to the above email or kindly post to this item.

Thank You!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM
rouxeny

Okay, I'll bite. Feathering has definitely been a problem for a lot of us, me included. I'm bringing in the car the day after tomorrow to have it looked at.

I'll put your thread as a sticky, I'm curious to see what happens.

Personally, I'm not sure there's a way to fix the feathering issue, as the suspension/alignment can only be changed so much the way that it is currently set up. But then again, I can't claim to be an expert on the issue.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
rouxeny

Oh, if it's okay with the other mods, I'll leave this in the General section for now, but it'll probably eventually make it's way to the Wheels/Suspension area.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
j-man

Andrew, thank you for your help!

You said it yourself, you too have suffered from this problem. Please, kindly send me your data at the above email (owners350z@yahoo.com)--this is how it will get started!

thanks
josh
Old 03-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Grommit

My car was built the same month as yours, j-man.

The only problems I notice with my Z is that is just slightly pulls to the right and my tires are noisey when I slow down from about 35MPH. The thing is my Z did this from the day I picked it up at the dealer with only 6 miles on the car. I have been checking my tires for feathering yet there are no visible signs of it thus far. I have seen and felt quite a few '03 Z's with feathered tires so I do have a good sense of what to look for. So far with 3,800 miles on my Z, the tires are looking/feeling good, they sound noisey though.

I'll keep you updated as time goes by. The fact that the tires are noisy when slowing down worries me that in time I may see feathering. I got my fingers crossed.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:55 AM
westpak
SFZCC

You never say what your problem is, you just state that yo have taken it in 3 times and the problem is still there?

What is your problem? Feathering? Pulling to the Right?

If it feathering how do you know it is not fixed if you only have 4K miles on the car?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:48 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine fixed at 7,000 miles. It returned around 25,000 miles. It is an alignment AND tire issue. I was grateful that Nissan fixed the issue the first time and gave me new tires to boot. The second time I take on responsibility for fixing the issue. RE040 are very soft tires and if your alignment is out, they will wear. Nissan fixed the inital alignment issues (due to wrong specs, import or whatever) after that it should be the owners responsibility to get it aligned. Knowing several owners who have changed tire brands after alignment . . .the issue has ceased.

You have to keep up on the alignment.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:19 AM
FairladyZ

I am gonna wait untill the new tires come in and see if that takes care of my problems.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
T.Lowry

Default Re: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

A noble effort. I hope it is not against the forum rules. This is exactly the kind of pro-active and productive role that the internet can play.

A couple of suggestions along the same theme.

1. There should be a central location were we can get words and pictures that accurately describe the major problems that seem to plague the Z: Tire feathering, pulling to the right, transmission problems. We need to do this in order to have a common vocabulary and visible evidence when we talk to the dealer.

2. Examples of solutions that have actually worked. e.g. does an alignment job fix tire feathering or do we just need new tires? Do new tires solve the problem or just delay it until the new tires start to feather? Does it really make a difference if your car is a 2004.5? Or is it just that your car is new and the problems haven't hit you yet? A FAQ format might work.

I only have 600 miles on my Z, but it would be very valuable if I need to have the hard discussion with the dealer that I have a folder full of factual information.

In my experience My350Z.com is the best site on the Z. I think it is entirely appropriate for those that run the site to help its users lead the charge to make sure that Z owners get their concerns addressed.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:10 PM
j-man

Westpak--it's an alignment issue, pulls hard to the right.

I'm certainly not a mechanic and do not profess to have expertise in this area, but it appears that these two things are inter-related. The alignment issue, I would speculate, is a root cause of the tire feathering. Most of what I've read from the people in this forum would cause me to believe this.

T.Lowry--I welcome your suggestions, and you're right, we must all be speaking the same language with respect to what we're dealing with. With only 4K miles on my Z, I've yet to notice the sound or the feathering however, the alignment issue however, is absurd.

Most, and I'm going to guess >90% of the complaints I've read with respect to the 'pull' regards pulling to the right. There are two other possible causes, 'road crown' and the fact that most cars are designed to slightly pull to the right.

Nissan's definition of the alignment issue is outlined in their TSB:

A. - The vehicle completes a lane change in less than 7 seconds
B. - With no steering correction from the driver and
C. - When driving at 60mph
D. - All four wheels must pass into the other lane (in 7 second period)
E. - While driving on a crowned slope road of less than 1%

Outside of "E", I think many of us can confirm the first 4 items--as has two of the dealerships I've visted.

The 'feathering' issue I've not really started to notice, so I'd need assistance in clarifying specifically a 'text book' definition of what this issue is. I've seen some links to other 3rd party sites providing definitions...

Right now, I'm only focused on this alignment issue, I've not experienced any other real issues with my car.

As a secondary thought, based on past experience in lemon law related issues (Nissan repurchased a '95 Sentra from me that was classified as lemon due to 'stalling' issues)--I think we need to somehow try and leverage 'safety' as an issue / concern. And quite honestly, this is a valid concern on my behalf. I would tend to believe that the more we push the safety issue, the greater visibility we can get on this complaint.

This is all a bit new to me and I'm not quite sure how to address either. I've already involved my local BBB office as I have to have this documented on my end. However, this, in the end, may only help me and not resolve the underlying issue that many of their consumers are dealing with.

I welcome further thoughts on this approach. Also, any updates on the additional TSB's? The only one I have is dated April 25, 2003. I've seen posts of an additional TSB released in December...
Old 03-24-2004, 08:03 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I had the tire feathering but never the pulling to the right, the reason for my tire feathering was both wheels were toe out, after alignment it has not returned and still no pulling to the right.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
kzshin

maybe you guys should get togther and give major news media a call. Usually corporation will get very nervous, when things sepread out on the NEWS.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:15 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said before, nissan will fix the issue and in some cases give you new front tires. After that you need to have your alignment checked and/or adjusted at regular intervals.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:59 AM
jleighZ

They fixed my alignment 3 or 4 times, had new tires put on at 5k miles. Called the dealer told them my new tires were starting to feather at 7k miles (2k miles since they were just put on) and they told me to give it time that the alignment was just readjusting . I got rid of the car cause I was tired of dealing with it.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
pearl430
Banned

dealers will just laugh at u

i was in the shop 5 times for feathering and pulling to the right issue on my 2003 350Z

first we never heard of any TSB pulling to the right, i ve to get it from the net from one of the Z member the spoke to NNA to have them relace the compressing rod

Nissan gives a shiet about buyers
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
web guy

Default Re: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

I read this sticky wth great interest. I am the webmaster for NissanTireProblems.com, a website designed to raise awareness about the tire problems with the Nissan 350z. By raising awareness of the 350z tire problems we hope to force Nissan to remedy the situation, and bring satisfaction to consumers.

An attorney who works with our site has indicated that if there is enough interest from consumers to pursue a class action lawsuit, he would do so, seeking to compel Nissan to acknowledge the problem with an appropriate and effective repair, or compel Nissan to buy back all affected vehicles.

We are looking to gather exactly the type of information that you're talking about. By sharing the experiences that you've had with the Nissan 350z tires, you will assist us in helping the 1000's of consumers who are suffering from problems exactly like yours. Please take some time and share your story with us.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:15 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

vandyz its ****ing retarted to say i have to alighn my $40,000 car every 5000 miles with my friggen oil change cause its my responsibility.

as for the tire issue i know many people who have michelon pilot sports and after 5000 miles or so have feathering also .
and michelon is a way better tire then bridgestone.

i myself thought the tire swap would solve the problem also.
but apparently NO

i personaly thinK there is an expensive fix needed and that is why nissan is laying low.
had my new tires put on with alighnment and there showing wear on the inside once again with abought 5000 miles on them so i guess i should just drop an extra 100 or 200 every oil change because alighnment is my responsibilty.

**** THAT ****

THE TIRES are beginning to annoy me ill give nissan till end of this year if no answer and continued tire issues **** IT.

I WILL DROP THE Z AND GET A VETTE 10 grand more but i dont like being ****ed by big coporations

Last edited by BRONXWARRIOR; 03-30-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:14 AM
pisces9ca

Unhappy

Technically there is no TSB on feathering, it is for tire roar. I contacted my dealer. who has been pretty easy to deal with on another problem (needed the top replaced due to interior wear after 6 months) but was told I'd have to bring in the car and have it checked out by a Nissan technician for tire noise when braking. I'm not experiencing any noise so I let it slide until I have more mileage, just 3900 miles to date.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:12 AM
4myZ350

I just talked to my dealer "San Leandro Nissan" bay area nor. cal. & they are ordering tires & other fix's they are letting me go to the alignment shop with my car. No problem. LOL nissan will have to adress this one day or as mentioned in alout of posts keep giving us tires. SO i like this !!!

Quick Reply: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)