Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004 | 09:46 AM
pulpz2

A started a new thread and posted the NNA notice at:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&postid=829989
Old 05-09-2004 | 09:46 PM
flash

If you have less than 20,000 miles on you car, Nissan will replace and realign your front tires at no charge. Once you go past 20K, I was told you will have to pay a pro-rated rate for new tires. If you your car has excessive road noise, get it into the dealer before the 20K mark.
Old 05-10-2004 | 06:29 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

unless you have 25,000 miles on your car BUT are on multible sets of tires.

it all depends on the miles on your current set of tires not your car
Old 05-11-2004 | 01:23 PM
trusso50

Default G35 also affected?

3 quick questions:

1) Are the alignment issues serious and frequent enough that I should abandon my plans to purchase a Z?

2) Are these problems (practically) fixable by the dealership, assuming Nissan agreed to this? Or is replacement/refund the only option (forgive my mechanical ignorance)

3) Is the Infinifi G35 Coupe also affected?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004 | 03:51 PM
code350z

my z is an 04 model and i have not had any problems. Could someone give me some examples of what to look for. not exactly sure what you mean by feathering. thx
Old 05-15-2004 | 01:06 PM
flash

Something everybody should remember, if you are having problems with tire and/or braking noise, get the problem fixed before you reach 20K. Prior to 20K, the dealer will give you a new set of tires at no cost. After 20K, you will have to pay a pro-rated cost for the tires. Now I do not know if the mileage is determined from the total car miles or the tire miles, if you have already had your tires replaced previously.
Old 05-15-2004 | 04:55 PM
mxpx_8

Default Re: G35 also affected?

Originally posted by trusso50
3 quick questions:

1) Are the alignment issues serious and frequent enough that I should abandon my plans to purchase a Z?

2) Are these problems (practically) fixable by the dealership, assuming Nissan agreed to this? Or is replacement/refund the only option (forgive my mechanical ignorance)

3) Is the Infinifi G35 Coupe also affected?

Thanks!
1. If I was you I would not get a Z. I have a 2004 and it is having the exact same issue as the 2003's.

2. There is no fix for the issue. I was told repeatedly by my service manager. He even documented it on a workorder, and stated the fact in front of a witness I brought along. Hence my impending LL suit aginst Nissan.

3. I do not know...
Old 05-16-2004 | 12:10 PM
walkman422

Originally posted by pbenchin
Another tale of tire wear:

I just encountered the dreaded rumble noise on the front wheels at 12,000 miles. So far the dealer, Schair's Nissan in Long Beach, has not stepped up to the plate to even do the TSB. They are trying to charge me for an alignment AND the tire swap! $155 for a service that shouldn't be charged to the consumer. Not to mention that now I have damaged tires. The Service Advisor said that I should have had an alignment at 7,500 miles. He also tried to accuse me of low tire pressure, even though I just had the car serviced there 2 weeks prior.

So now I am having lack of response from Nissan North America. My car has been at the dealer for 8 days now. The Nissan North America rep. actually told me he couldn't reach the dealer after repeated efforts. Still no word on what will happen with the car. So I sit getting more and more angry with the dealer and Nissan North America. Has anyone else been getting treatment this bad from their dealer or Nissan?

J-man I'll be sending you my info. Thanks for taking the fight on for all of us!

Sincerely,

Paul Benson

Paul,

First, don't waste any more time and money at Schair's, or whatever they call themselves THIS month. I only live a couple of miles from them, and learned the hard way to stop trusting them to perform maintenance on my car. They are hacks.

I have a '03 with just under 12k miles and just a few weeks ago started noticing the tire growl and feathering described by so many others. I took my car to Cerritos Nissan. They checked it out and said they'd order parts and new front tires. A week and a half later, they called me in to replace the compression rod (at first they said lower control arm) and two front tires. No problem. Feels like new again. I'll see if the fix holds up. Bottom line, Cerritos Nissan didn't sweat me over anything. I've let them do all my maintenance, even back when I had my '93 Z, so I do have a bit of a history with these guys. IF you decide to let them be your place for maintenance, always ask for Kevin Bumpers (they call him "KB") to do the work, he's by far their top technician. He always gets it right the first time. He's also the "go to guy" for all the other mechanics there. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:45 PM
code350z

Hey my Z in the same month as the thread starter. I have about 10,000 miles and now I see the feathering. I will take it into the dealer and forward any info to you. This bites!!!!!
Old 05-20-2004 | 09:15 AM
infinite z

Just FYI, after going to my dealership several times with my pulling to the right problem, they finally agreed to do the TSB work for me. I got the control arm replaced under warranty. I also had the shop where I get my tires do an alignment, and it turns out it was off by like 50%!!! The pulling problem is about 75-80% better now, but is still slightly noticeable. I can live with it, but if there's something else we can do, let me know.

Also, my RE040's feathered in the front, and I replaced them at 6000 miles. At the time, NNA and my dealership told me I was SOL. Is there anything I can do at this point to get reimbursed?
Old 05-20-2004 | 07:09 PM
Whataguy5431

Default Re: I too.....

[Last Week i made an appoint at mY Nissan dealership
and today is the day I'm going to get
front New Tires (RE 040) and a
complete alignment.....

What was your build date? Got a 01/04 build date with 5600 miles, no noise or feathering, but starting to see very small cracks on outside strip of tread.

Second question....Will the dealers allow you to pay diff or 040s to SO3s, incase I wanted to upgrade rims at same time?
Old 05-23-2004 | 04:45 AM
atom777

are these problems mostly on the 03 are iz it in the 04 as well??? i was planning on buyin a Z in a couple months when i get back to the states
Old 05-23-2004 | 04:44 PM
TreyBone

Default re:

I just turned 10000 miles on mine and the tire noise is so freaking loud I can't hardly stand it. It gets louder and louder. I know it wasn't that loud 4000 miles ago. Anywho, I went to my local dealer on Friday. I told him what the car was doing, and he just closed his eyes and kinda smiled, interupted me in the middle of a sentence, and said "can you bring it in Friday?".. He said that would give them time for the parts to come in, and they would take care of the problem at no charge. He had certainly heard of or seen this problem before I walked in the door.

Soooo.. the ride is going in on Friday /28th. I will report to guys what happens.

Good Luck , wish me some :
Old 05-24-2004 | 01:43 AM
pulpz2

Default Re: re:

Originally posted by TreyBone
I just turned 10000 miles on mine and the tire noise is so freaking loud I can't hardly stand it. It gets louder and louder. I know it wasn't that loud 4000 miles ago. Anywho, I went to my local dealer on Friday. I told him what the car was doing, and he just closed his eyes and kinda smiled, interupted me in the middle of a sentence, and said "can you bring it in Friday?".. He said that would give them time for the parts to come in, and they would take care of the problem at no charge. He had certainly heard of or seen this problem before I walked in the door.

Soooo.. the ride is going in on Friday /28th. I will report to guys what happens.

Good Luck , wish me some :

what year is your Z and what parts are they ordering? I assume you mean tires.
Old 05-24-2004 | 04:10 AM
atom777

ive wanted the z since it came out but ive been stationed over here in turkey for the last 2 years.. iz the 04 showin the same problems as the 03 or are these mostly 03z that everyone iz talking about??? i wanna get one when i get back
Old 05-24-2004 | 02:39 PM
TreyBone

Mine is an 2003. He didn't say what parts they were. I assume tires and maybe the control arm thingy people are talking about.

FYI. I removed the plastic shroud in the front wheel wells and dynamated the metal well behind the plastic. Once the plastic is removed you can also get to the sidewall of the car and dynamat that as well. I have noticed that it is not as loud as before and the car sounds more dampened from the whole front end. When Nissan fixes the roar it should be super quiet
Old 05-27-2004 | 02:12 PM
JimKo

Has anyone gone to www.NHTSA.gov and reported the tire wear and pulling issues?
Old 05-30-2004 | 01:55 PM
bighamz

Never bothered to check... just went in for an oil change, dealer noticed it and replaced them without any hassle.

Changed the "toe" to new specs as well. Have to remember to check this in the future to see if problem returns.

Hey, at least I never get the runaround at my dealer... they are all about quality service.
Old 06-01-2004 | 04:17 PM
zzz350

I just took my Z into the Dealership (Bay Area) regarding the alignment issue. They didn't hassle me at all, they re-aligned the front end, order a replacement set of tires (on back order due to all of the problems from around the country) and said they would give me a call to set up tire installation. My car only has 9K on it, the tires really didn't look bad at all, incidentally. It was an absolute hassle-free experience with Nissan. Maybe Nissan has chosen not to fight with the customer and just do the right thing, finally.
Old 06-09-2004 | 12:12 PM
1sicz

Just brought my "03 Touring Z to Mossy Nissan in poway. I have 9k, and early stages of "Cupping" has occurred. When I brought my Z to the dealer, within days, I had two new fronts and a alignment (Toe to 0 degrees) that was under warranty. Rides great now...We'll see after a few thousand miles.

Quick Reply: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)