Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems with gas guage / filling tank completely.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
MonkeyBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem as well. I used Redline SI-1 Complete fuel system cleaner as part of my 30k regimine to clean up the injectors and now my fuel guage goes past Full again. Of course, I just filled it up for the first time today after the treatment. Go figure! YMMV. I will post again when I need to fill her up. Couple of days, max.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Asterix

My '04's gauge is the most pessimistic I've seen in any car. I've never gotten it above F, and usually it's not even pointing directly at F. After 50 miles, it's at 3/4 and 100 miles it's at 1/2.

Asterix
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Bertg

I haven't had any problems filling up. The needle on the gauge always goes past F after every fillup. The highest I've seen on the DTE display is 499.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:07 PM
jk5598224

I have this problem also. It started after 1 year.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Beaker02

I topped mine off yesterday until it overflowed. I know it was full, full, full. Gas gauge still did not reg. full. Car said 444 til empty. Went to 435 in about a mile. Who knows. I do remember it going all the way to full when new.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:26 AM
cpoe52

I have heard of this problem but have not first hand experienced it.

I have heard some owners turn the gas nosel upside down when filling up. Sounds strange, but if I had the problem I would try it.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:51 PM
digerydingo

Same problems here, from Canada. Car just turned 1 year old last month. Fills to the exact same point as your guague. Tried different pumps, pulling it back a bit, filling up before halfway, upsidedown. Nothing I do will make it fill completely. Car is going into the dealership for new power window motor, was goign to get it checked out.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
fuzzwart

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
I had this problem as well. I used Redline SI-1 Complete fuel system cleaner as part of my 30k regimine to clean up the injectors and now my fuel guage goes past Full again. Of course, I just filled it up for the first time today after the treatment. Go figure! YMMV. I will post again when I need to fill her up. Couple of days, max.
Hey MonkeyBoy. How did the next fill-up go?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the latest on mine:

I filled up over the weekend with my gauge at less then 1/4 tank. Since my previous fill-up, I went 205 miles. My avg mpg for this tank was 19.3, and I was able to put in 10.7 gallons (which is pretty close to the miles/mpg).

I think that after filling, I had 20 gallons in the tank. The pump is shutting off because the tank is really full. It's got to be the float in the tank, which never 'floats' up to the top of the fuel, but instead travels between the approx halfway point and the bottom.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
MonkeyBoy

Just finished the fill-up tonight. And yup! Tank goes well past the Full mark. How bout some more people try it out? I am pretty sure that the Redline SI-1 is only around $5. If anyone is willing to post their results, let us know!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Sinful

i just got my 03 touring a few days ago. gauge went to E and dte said about 30 filled up about 16 gallons and the needle was above Full and the DTE said only about 335.. does this sound right or a bit low? i noticed someone say 375 or something on a previous post.

thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 11:48 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Sinful
i just got my 03 touring a few days ago. gauge went to E and dte said about 30 filled up about 16 gallons and the needle was above Full and the DTE said only about 335.. does this sound right or a bit low? i noticed someone say 375 or something on a previous post.

thanks
Thats about the same results I have with my 03. My DTE gives me a few more miles than that though. 16 gal is the most I have ever put in even with the fuel light on.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by Sinful

thanks
Keep in mind that the DTE is constantly recalculating itself, based on your mpg's. If you pulled in a filling station on E after a long highway run (maybe averaging 25+ mpg), you could have over 400 miles on your DTE. Likewise, fill up after some city/stop-n-go driving (averaging 16mpg's), your DTE after a fill-up could be closer to 300.

Jeff (would give left lug nut to be able to get 16 gallons in my tank, and have my gauges reflect same)
Old 05-07-2004, 06:17 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Scafremon
Keep in mind that the DTE is constantly recalculating itself, based on your mpg's. If you pulled in a filling station on E after a long highway run (maybe averaging 25+ mpg), you could have over 400 miles on your DTE. Likewise, fill up after some city/stop-n-go driving (averaging 16mpg's), your DTE after a fill-up could be closer to 300.

Jeff (would give left lug nut to be able to get 16 gallons in my tank, and have my gauges reflect same)
Ah! Good point. I didn't think of that. Has anyone run out of gas and then filled it up??
Old 05-08-2004, 08:53 PM
a_p

Default Fuel Tank gauge doesn't fill

Scafremon-- Nice to still see you around, I'll always remember that you were the first to provide pictures of the Z, when you snuck into Nissan in Torrance.

Anyway I preordered my 2003 Performance Z, (VIN # 3159) which was delivered on 10/02. Anyway my tank used to fill up to Full, and once I even filled 18 gallons in my tank. However over the last few tanks I haven't been able to fill it to full. I've tried various gas stations, and various pumps, including ones that used to fill my tank to full. In fact on my last tank, I drove the car until my empty light lit up, and when I filled the tank, I continued pumping until I could see the gas level nearly overflowing out of the tank. However it only filled 12 gallons, and my fuel gauge is bellow the full line. Now after driving 60 miles, my gauge is at 3/4 of a tank.

Anyone talk to Nissan about this problem?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:04 AM
fuzzwart

Yes, I talked with my dealer service rep and had it checked out. He said that they checked to make sure that the sensor was operating properly (checked continuity) and that it was fine and working as designed. He also said that he had a couple Maxima owners that had made the same comment.

My brother has a '04 and regularly puts 18 gallons. I can only put 15-16 when the idiot light is on and the DTE is ------.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Arash

i dont know if someones mentioned this already (i dont want to read all the posts), but if you fill up your tank holding the gas pump upside down (ya it looks awkward) then at most gas places it disengages the auto shot off.
i had the same problem w/ the c class and the slk at certain gas stations and its those same gas stations that i cant fill up my z at.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:36 AM
peterhong

I used to have the problem with not being able to put any gas in my car cause the pump would keep clicking off, but when I was able to put in gas it would go above the F line. Now, the gauge sits a little under the F line. BTW, this only started happening after I installed the PopCharger. Could or could not have something to do with that. Maybe the popcharger is somehow messing with the fuel sensor???
Old 05-09-2004, 11:32 AM
a_p

No POP Charger in my car. Also, when I filled my car the last time, I continued filling after mutiple clicks, until I could see the fuel dripping out of my gas tank and into the drainage port.

Originally posted by peterhong
I used to have the problem with not being able to put any gas in my car cause the pump would keep clicking off, but when I was able to put in gas it would go above the F line. Now, the gauge sits a little under the F line. BTW, this only started happening after I installed the PopCharger. Could or could not have something to do with that. Maybe the popcharger is somehow messing with the fuel sensor???
Old 05-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Scafremon

Default Re: Fuel Tank gauge doesn't fill

Originally posted by a_p
Scafremon-- Nice to still see you around, I'll always remember that you were the first to provide pictures of the Z, when you snuck into Nissan in Torrance.
Good to hear from you too a_p! This month is the 2 year anniversary of those pics, and why I decided to throw up the old-school 'Vin Soup' avatar. Those were some fun times back then, going to GroupZ meetings to hear/see what was going on with our cars.

As for fuel issue, it sounds like we share same issue. No pop-charger here either (or any perfomance mods for that matter). I also don't think flipping the nossle over will do anything but make me create a mess. I really think the tank is full, and it is just the gauges not reflecting it.

I haven't taken it into (or spoken with) Nissan yet, but plan on doing so very soon. I'm tempted to go ahead and drive like 100 miles past E, just to prove that there is more fuel in the tank...but, seems like a trip to the dealer is more appropriate.

Quick Reply: Problems with gas guage / filling tank completely.