Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems with gas guage / filling tank completely.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 AM
abstrakt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FairLady350zZ
abstrakt, are you only having problems with your gauge cluster saying that its not full? or are you also having issues filliing the tank? i dont think that replacing the gauge cluster is going to resolve it. i have called nissan consumer affairs and i am awaiting to get my vehicle in for the regional rep to check out my vehicle. they have replaced the gas tank and ran tests on the new tank and checked the both send back unit and still no go. lets see what this guy can do......
I was having trouble w/both...I ran the car down to E and had the DTE reading ~ 10 miles...But when I filled it up, it only took 10.xx gallons and then stopped. Then when I started the car up, it read a little under F. I finally got the car back yesterday and the gauge reads properly now, they filled up my tank so I don't know how many gallons it took. I'm going to run it down again and then fill up and see how many gallons it takes...I really hope my issue is resolved.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Neo105

I contacted some other dutch 350z drivers and they all said they did not have a problem filling their tanks...

Maybe because it's the euro spec?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 AM
fred

I had the same problem too - fuel gauge not reading full and only taking 10-11 gallons after light coming on for sometime. If you are in SoCal, take it to Performance Nissan in Duarte, CA. They fixed mine last year after two tries. If your car is under warranty, which mine was, it should be cover. According to the service advisor, they replaced one sensor or sending unit first time but it didn't fix it. So the second visit they supposingly replace the second sensor or sending unit and it's been fine since. When I fill up it does go past F and it normally takes 15-16 gallons after light coming on.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 AM
abstrakt

ok so i filled up again after getting the car back...the needle was hovering around the 3/4 full mark for awhile but slowly moved up to F. so i think i am ok now...i'm not going to hold my breath though.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Edison_Chen

Yesterday when I was filling up gas, I was at the gas station for 15 mins....
My needle was at 3/4 tank. I went to fill up.. Pressed the pump handle all the way down.. And it stopped at $2.xx.... then release and try again.. stopped at $3.0x. I adjusted it... same thing... stoped once again.

So this time I pulled it out... and placed it back in and was pumping gas with the handle 1/2 way.. Boy was it a long 10 mins...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fred
I had the same problem too - fuel gauge not reading full and only taking 10-11 gallons after light coming on for sometime. If you are in SoCal, take it to Performance Nissan in Duarte, CA. They fixed mine last year after two tries. If your car is under warranty, which mine was, it should be cover. According to the service advisor, they replaced one sensor or sending unit first time but it didn't fix it. So the second visit they supposingly replace the second sensor or sending unit and it's been fine since. When I fill up it does go past F and it normally takes 15-16 gallons after light coming on.
who did you talk to at perf nissan? i'd been talking to the service advisor there for a while but they haven't figured out what's wrong with it. I sort of gave up sometime last year and been living with the problem. I need to get it fixed before I reach 36K miles.... and it's coming up!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
FLZ_Boy

I have an 05 Enthusiast, it fills up fine as long I don't hit the empty light. If the empty light turns and I try to fill it up, it will randomly stop filling around 6 to 10 gallons, it becomes a pain to fill it up to full.

I try to fill up my Z now around the 1/4 mile tank mark and I don't have the problem of filling up to Full.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:50 PM
lgbdog1

Mine never reads full either. Sounds like tons of us are having the issue. I'll bring it up at my 60k mile checkup in a month or so. Hopefully the extended warranty will cover any fixes necessary.

Anyone else who has tried fixing this please post what you tried and if it worked.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 PM
kpiskin

Try filling up on a level surface. That's what my problem was. No problems filling up since.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 PM
mtscanlon

There is a new TSB out for this... http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB05-048.htm

You may need to take a printout of this to your dealer... A lot of them may only get these updates monthly (or less frequently... scary...)
Old 07-01-2005, 05:27 AM
fuzzwart

Originally Posted by mtscanlon
There is a new TSB out for this... http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB05-048.htm

You may need to take a printout of this to your dealer... A lot of them may only get these updates monthly (or less frequently... scary...)
Great information for all of us that have been fighting this. The only question left is: "how comfortable are you with you service department?"

Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
barthelb
Master

I thought i'd just let you know there is another 03 Touring with this problem. Im boosted so i usually use 5gal 100 then fill it up. Well lately Ive been getting 5gal 100 then 9 gal 91. WTF....I noticed this happened after the Zmotorsports car show in LA. I was filling up like a champ while we went there and came back. Here is my best fill up.
Attached Thumbnails Problems with gas guage / filling tank completely.-gas-guage.jpg  
Old 07-01-2005, 11:26 AM
barthelb
Master

I've also driven for while on the --------- display which is not good especially if I start to run out of fuel. I've tried the handle trick, but the problem is not getting gas in. Its with the tank reading its full when its not. And it only goes 1/8th between 3/4 and Full.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM
a_p

Default Gasoline impurity

From October - December of 2004 I had problems with my
1. Fuel gauge not reaching the full mark
2. Only being able to fill 12 gallons when my DTE read ---

I usually use Chevron supreme. I tried fuel injector cleaners once, and the symptoms resolved for a few weeks. Since then I used fuel injector cleaners twice more, and haven't had a problem any of the above problems since February of 2005. I'm also in the camp that it's some sort of fuel impurity. Maybe it's sulfur, but either way I don't have any problems filling my tank anymore. Although after spending $44 to fill up my tank earlier this week, I wish my tank would only take 12 gallons.

A_P

Originally Posted by CornyRacing
Ok fellas, I work for the second biggest refinery in the US and we got news that the fuel level floats on some models (not just nissans) were experiencing problems. It turns out that some car companies have switched to using a float that contains silver and its actually the sulfer levels in gasoline that affect the silver on the newly designed floats causing a malfunction. In my particular refinery (chevrontexaco) we have rectified this problem by reformulating our gasoline to meet a new silver strip test prior to releasing the finished gasoline for sale. Im not sure how the other states are handling this problem. I also had the same problem, among other issues, with my Z and now i havent had a problem since we fixed this sulfer issue.

Does anyone have the number for Nissan North America consumer affairs because my tires are feathering again for the third time?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
RKnight

I fixed this problem on my car by running it down to only a half a gallon left in the tank and it cured the problem. I also disconnected the battery to re-set the computer before filling the tank back up.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
sicilianoNYC

so is there a final fix for this issue, im having the issue with inaccurate gas gauge where it will blink ----- and when i fill it up it only fills up about 15 gallons.....this is very annoying, also the DTE gauge is getting more inaccurate everyday it seems....any help?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:53 AM
barthelb
Master

Mine decided to fix itself, I ran mine down ------ and then kept driving on it. I used the trip meter to see how much mileage i should have left. But it seems to unfix itself everynow and then. Its weird!

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
so is there a final fix for this issue, im having the issue with inaccurate gas gauge where it will blink ----- and when i fill it up it only fills up about 15 gallons.....this is very annoying, also the DTE gauge is getting more inaccurate everyday it seems....any help?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 AM
sicilianoNYC

The DTE gauge is so off I filled up a full tank and have driven 130 miles and I was in traffic for a while this morning and the DTE kept going down and now is at 140 as well as the gas needle being 3/4 of the way between 1/4 and 1/2. This is completely inaccurate as I should have 260-280 miles left in my tank......how can this get fixed!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:01 AM
barthelb
Master

From your explanation it seems to be running right. It takes your current average MPG and then calculates your Destination To Empty. If you were in traffic then your mileage would be way less. But I do notice incosistencies in it. Sometimes it will be right where you said, in between 1/2 and 1/4 then I will park and start and it will be slightly below 1/4 and I go damn what happened to my gas.

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
The DTE gauge is so off I filled up a full tank and have driven 130 miles and I was in traffic for a while this morning and the DTE kept going down and now is at 140 as well as the gas needle being 3/4 of the way between 1/4 and 1/2. This is completely inaccurate as I should have 260-280 miles left in my tank......how can this get fixed!