Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Alignment issue, dealer said it was wayyy off

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004 | 12:41 PM
painkillerzz

Default Alignment issue, dealer said it was wayyy off

I took my car in to get the window motors replaced, because they were not going up or down. Apparently, there is a known window motor problem, no biggie.

While the car was in the shop i asked them to check the alignment, I was just curious. The service provider said that the alignment was wayyy off. My question is, if the alignment was wayyy of, wouldnt I have symptoms of that, i.e pulling to one side or another. I wasn't experiencing any of that, so how could my alignment be off?

Has anyone had experience with this. I am going to pick the vehicle up tonight and wanted to know if there are any questions i should ask the dealer.

Any response would be helpful.

Nigel
Old 09-14-2004 | 01:06 PM
grifferjr

Default Re: Alignment issue, dealer said it was wayyy off

Originally posted by painkillerzz
I took my car in to get the window motors replaced, because they were not going up or down. Apparently, there is a known window motor problem, no biggie.

While the car was in the shop i asked them to check the alignment, I was just curious. The service provider said that the alignment was wayyy off. My question is, if the alignment was wayyy of, wouldnt I have symptoms of that, i.e pulling to one side or another. I wasn't experiencing any of that, so how could my alignment be off?

Has anyone had experience with this. I am going to pick the vehicle up tonight and wanted to know if there are any questions i should ask the dealer.

Any response would be helpful.

Nigel
i would bet the farm that he was referring to the alignment and tire feathering TSB that has been around in some way shape or form for over a year. The latest edition revised in april of this year. if your alignment was wayyyy off, it was probably by Nissans standards only.

according to mother nissan the Z is very sensitive to the slightest of variances from an optimal setting. I dont buy all of this crap cause i firmly believe that the feathering problem is rooted in the camber problem of the car which cannot be adjusted. anyway back to the point. (i am currently undergoing trying to get my car in for an alignment on my own just to double check the dealers work, also i got new wheels)

the TSB calls for adjustments of down to .08of an inch, 2 degrees, however you want to refer to it. when i went to one independent shop that had a hunter machine to align it, he looked at me like i was nuts, i even had a copy of the TSB to show him. He said that he normally deals in variations only down to +/-.25inch. anything under that the driver more than likely cant feel.

so your car could have been wayyyy off without you knowing it cause the differences are so small. but what this tells me is that Nissan really messed up on the Z's suspension and they are just reaching for something to try and bandaide it. sorry for the length but i hope that helped some.

also your dealer is garuanteed money from nissan for doing an alignment, so they could have been just doing it to get cash.
Old 09-14-2004 | 04:45 PM
painkillerzz

thanks for the input. I got the car back, i didnt test drive it long, but now something doesn't feel right with the steering. Might just all be pyschological, but i'll know better tomorrow after I drive it to work.
Old 09-14-2004 | 05:18 PM
cnile51

<--- i work for nissan and own a 350z... let me tell you this:
we have a known window motor problem so if your window stops going up and or down you should get to the dealer a.s.a.p.
second alignment issue is also there and our alignment is so sensative its ridiculous its basically a negative/positive toe problem which in turn wear out your inner tires in the front much quicker than they should also if your tires start getting worn inproperly you'll start to hear a type of growling noise coming from them..... all in all our cars being that 2003 was the first year do have some problems.... but in my opinion they arent as bad as everyone makes them out to be for a new model year car
Old 09-15-2004 | 04:59 AM
painkillerzz

thanks Cnile51.

I actually got both window motors replaced, and also had them check and adjust the alignment, but now after they did the alignment, it feels like my rear end wants to swing out any time i go over rough road. I noticed it last night when i picked the car up but wasnt sure, so this morning i test drove it some more and it is definitely a problem.

It feels very shaky on rough road, or even over a bump. Would anyone have any ideas what they might have screwed up?

thanks
Old 09-26-2004 | 05:17 PM
jor8888

The rear end bounces alot? sounds like your Z is back to normal lol.