Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Engine Shut off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:53 AM
DZTZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Shut off!!!!

I turned a corner in 2nd, upshifted to 3rd then 4th, and then i noticed all my gauges were at 0. My engine has shut off!!!!

I rolled to a stop and turned on my car as if I'd just stalled it. But I was fourth gear.

Now, I know the keys to are close to my knees and the keyless entry is always hitting my knee. There is a posibility that my knee turned the key. I really hope that was the case.

But has anyone had this problem? Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did it restart? I seriously doubt that it was the FOB hitting your knee.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your car shut off while driving? What year is your car? Go to http://www.infinitihelp.com to see if your car is under the Crank Sensor Position Sensor recall. Just an idea out of the blue.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 PM
peterhong

Yeah there is no way that your knee caused the car to stop. You can manually hit those alarm buttons while driving and it wont stop the car. Short of turning the key to off position, you might want to look into the crank sensor mentioned above, or if you have aftermarket intake or popcharger, maybe the ECU needs to be reset.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 AM
zdriver1

This morning, my Z's engine cut out while doing 70mph on the highway (after stalling three times at a red light just before getting on the highway). All of the warning lights came on as well. It's getting towed to the dealership right now. I live in Pennsylvania, and the temp dropped last night to the lowest it's been since last winter, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.
I checked the affected VINs for the recall, but my vin didn't fall into the range. Still waiting to hear from the dealership.....
Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
time4aspliff

After stalling my car on my driveway, my Z wouldn't start!?! The 3rd time I turned the key, I got that nasty grinding sound that you usually get when you try to start an idling car . At that point, I was becoming frustrated and I didn't want to break anything so I just let it sit for another 5-7 minutes and then it started right up. I haven't had any problems starting it since then but I'd like to know why it wouldn't start right after I stalled it. Should I be worried?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:49 PM
zdriver1

Just talked to the dealership, and they said it's the Mass Airflow Sensor. Then the tech said it's covered under warranty this time, but b/c I have a K&N airfilter, if it happens again it won't be.

I can't believe that Nissan makes a sensor that will fail b/c of a drop-in performance air filter. The K&N has been in there for a year and a half (I think I bought it the same week I got my Z). What the hell happens if I put a Pop Charger/CAI on? I'm going to contact K&N to see what they have to say about this.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:46 AM
B-Unit

its not like they made a sensor to specifically fail if you upgraded aftermarket parts. Your filter was probably not oiled enough and some dirt got in which set off the MAF sensor. Make sure you filter is good, it could have a hole in it also.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
wick3d350Z

hahah this is funny...my crap turned off at 70mph the other day also. I do have a pop charger..maybe its time to reset ecu
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM
BlackZ33

Is the problem fixed yet?

My friend in vancouver also is experiencing this kind of problem on his 2004 automatic Z.

It happends to him many times a day!
He has already taken the car to Nissan dealership for check-up but they couldn't find the cause of the problem.

I guess it is the crank position sensor ?
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Recalls/350Z/2003.htm
Old 11-12-2004, 06:09 AM
zdriver1

Well, it's Friday now and my Z's been at the dealership for a week. They claim it was the MAS airflow sensor that failed, but that the part was on national backorder (along with my replacement RE040's that I've been waiting 4 months for!).

After the service dept at Ardmore Nissan gave me a hard time about getting a loaner car, I had to get the service manager on the phone and demand that they provide a rental car for me since this repair is covered under my warranty - they did. So I've been driving a Ford Taurus for the last week (which f-ing sucks!), and the last time I called the Parts Dept and asked when the part was coming in, the guy claimed he couldn't say and that it could be a few more days or another week or two.

Apparently the part is also used in Muranos and another Nissan model. I guess those owners all have K&N air filters too!

More Nissan bs............
Old 11-12-2004, 06:40 AM
BlackZ33

That's just odd...
Maybe call Nissan Help line?

My friend's dealer replaced lots of parts on his car and his car still shut down from time to time...
Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 PM
k80y

i had the same problem with my z....i would be cruising downhill in neutral and all f a sudden my steering wheel goes stiff and i notice the lights are all on.....but usually happens when the temperature drops....but my z has a whole $@!t load of problems...so i give up....and ardmore nissan are a-holes....hate them....i feel u man been there went through it