Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

help~! high pitch screeching sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:51 PM
andy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help~! high pitch screeching sound

after a long day of driving today i noticed that when i start making sharp turns the passenger side will begin to have this really high pitched screeching sound (not sure if its from the front passenger tire or the rear) but i can not locate the problem and its not a persistant problem until i start to make another sharp turn. anyone care to shed some light into this newly found annoyance?

i'm taking it to the dealer monday but just want to get some opinions from the broad first. tks
Old 11-01-2004, 08:42 AM
zdriver1

I have the exact same problem that started yesterday. I stopped at 7-Eleven, came out and started driving and the noise was on and off, coming from the passenger side. It's gotten worse today and seems to only happen when the steering wheel is straight or turned to the right. When making a right turn, the noise is louder and constant.

The sound is horrible, like metal grinding on metal, but high-pitched and almost has an electronic sound to it. I'm calling my dealership today, but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

I have a 6-speed, '03 Enthusiast with 22k on it.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:24 PM
andy

took my car to the dealer this morning and i noticed the sound is pretty much gone (i only heard once during the entire trip to the dealer, and the sound is not as loud)

dealer just called, they took a test drive and inspect everything and couldn't reproduce the problem, which is what i'm freakin scared of. cuz i know somethins' gotta be wrong and i'm just freakin worried that the sound will come on once every couple weeks and when i take it back to the dealer again the sound would go away.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
msink

Ive got this too. It happens when wheel is turned slightly to the right, and held there... going past this point, and it will go away. It's high pitched whine, not really grinding, or that loud... yet. Anyone?

Mark
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 AM
zdriver1

I found the cause of my problem a while ago, and b/c I had another post on this, I forgot to reply to this one.

Anyway, it's a warning that your brake pads are worn down (at least in my case). I kinda felt stupid when I found out, but I've never had a car do that before. There is a little metal clip that sticks out next to the pad, and when the pad wears down to a very low level, the metal clip will hit your rotor letting you know that your pads need to be replaced.

After doing some research, I stopped at Pep Boys and picked up some Hawk HPS pads for around $60, and installed them myself. It took about 30-40 minutes to do, and will probably only take me 20 next time. I am not a gear head and I thought it was really simple to do.
Anyway, these pads are high-performance, and produce way less brake dust - maybe 70-80% less than OEM pads. That reason alone makes it worth getting them. I've definitely tested them in rush hour traffic and I think they actually have a better feel than the OEM pads, but doubt they add any significant performance over the stock pads, but not having to clean my wheels twice a week is freakin awesome.

So pull one of your tires off and check out your pads.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 PM
msink

I came here to post the answer as well... yes, its the brake pads.