Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rust on brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 05:51 PM
silverstoneTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on brake rotors?

Weird thing happened. My brakes lately were getting pretty worn out so I had the front rotors replaced along with all the pads. Now im noticing that the rear rotors have a rust color to them and are rusting im assuming on the inside inside if that makes any sense, which it doesnt, but i dont know how to explain it.

Is there anything that will get this color off and fix this or anything?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:13 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotors will usually show rust after it rains. The rust should be worn away quickly thereafter, however, with normal brake use.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would almost be more worried if the rotors never showed any rust, as that might indicate that they still have some anti-rust coating on them, which can inhibit braking performance.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:34 PM
silverstoneTT

Yes, I understand that, but the rust is lower, on a ring under the area that the brake pad touches...
Old 11-07-2004, 06:55 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, just tryin' to help

Do you have a picture of the rotor in question? I guess maybe I'm not getting a very clear picture of exactly what area of the rotor you're talking about.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
silverstoneTT

thanks, im gonna try to get a pic soon to show you guys cause it looks terrible and i need to do something about it
Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I think that we are going to need pics for this one. There is a Group Buy for Zinc plated rotors for $189 that *could* solve this problem.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Alexxx

Originally posted by silverstoneTT
Yes, I understand that, but the rust is lower, on a ring under the area that the brake pad touches...
If the brake pad touches that area then there should be no rust, but I also noticed on my Z that there is rust collecting on a ring that about 2mm around my rotor where the brake pad doesn't reach.... I had something similar on my Rotora rotors that I bought for my Acura.

In this pic you can clearly see what I'm talking about, I started noticing the same thing on the Z except the area is a lot smaller as stated above.

I painted that area with high temp paint, you could do the same, apply 2-3 coats with a thin brush, just hold and rotate. As long as the pad doesn't touch that area you'll be fine. Here the pic:

another:

I don't think that Zinc platted rotors will help. If I remember, Cadium plated rotors were the only ones that didn't rust, but they don't make them anymore because it's an environmental hazard or something.

Last edited by Alexxx; 11-09-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:47 AM
bwilliams

You don't have to buy Cadmium plated rotors...If you want them, take your rotors to a plating shop and request Cadmium in the trouble area. Require the Cadmium to be in accordance with "QQ-P-416 Type 1, Class 1, no baking required"...accept no substitute.

However, the high temp paint (applied properly) will give you adequate protection against rust and can match your desired color.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:00 PM
silverstoneTT

I think im gonna go with the painting solution come the spring. thanks for the help