Notices

AUTOX - AUG 16,th - DFW - Who's going with me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im going to buy like 8 lbs of chopped beef that should be plenty like 2 sammiches
Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 PM
LegionnaireZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Keep the List updated bump!
1. JasonZ-YA - Jason - PPWZ - Driving - Registered -BSP
2. AcidJake75 - Jacob - DBZ - Driving -
3. Nexx - Jason - PPWZ - Spectating Cheerleader!
4. BeeAyche - Brandon - MB 370 - Driving (Newbie) - Registered - BS
5. StuLax18 - Stuart - FX - Driving -
6. KNFX - don't know - FX - Spectating (maybe, visiting from Houston)
7. Fithamoto - Chris - SB - Drive / Ride with someone -
8. Bommart - Brian - saZ - spectate/ride with somebody (tentative)
9. MesquiteZ-Eric-SB-Spectate for now (drive if I can grow a pair by then)
10. Z2004 -350z - Driving
11. Daddy Z - GTR - Driving - ???
12. SpeedRCR - G35 - Driving -
13. Gibbs - 350Z - Driving (Newbie) - Registered - BS
14. LegionnaireZ - Spectating

I'll try and get there before work, 8:30am is awfully early for me lol... really interested in the AutoX though
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

^ glad your gonna make it out....

-J
Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
im going to buy like 8 lbs of chopped beef that should be plenty like 2 sammiches
sounds good..........nice hook up.....

-J
Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 PM
SpeedRcr

The more that comes the better should be about 5 bucks a head and that would be like 2 sammiches each
Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Thumbs up

1. JasonZ-YA - Jason - PPWZ - Driving - Registered -BSP
2. AcidJake75 - Jacob - DBZ - Driving - (#75)Registered -BSP
3. Nexx - Jason - PPWZ - Spectating Cheerleader!
4. BeeAyche - Brandon - MB 370 - Driving (Newbie) - Registered - BS
5. StuLax18 - Stuart - FX - Driving -
6. KNFX - don't know - FX - Spectating (maybe, visiting from Houston)
7. Fithamoto - Chris - SB - Drive / Ride with someone -
8. Bommart - Brian - saZ - spectate/ride with somebody (tentative)
9. MesquiteZ-Eric-SB-Spectate for now (drive if I can grow a pair by then)
10. Z2004 -350z - Driving
11. Daddy Z - GTR - Driving - ???
12. SpeedRCR - G35 - Driving -
13. Gibbs - 350Z - Driving (Newbie) - Registered - BS
14. LegionnaireZ - Spectating
Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
The more that comes the better should be about 5 bucks a head and that would be like 2 sammiches each
Sounds good, well take a tally in the morning and figure out how much we need and whos in, etc...

Does everyone thinks this sounds good????
if so, like stu and gibbs mentioned earlier do we want to split up all bringing something? someone can bring bread, pickles, bbq sauce, paper plates, ice chest, ice, soda/gatorade.......

????

Regardless, i think everyone should bring their own water!! ice chest with water or make arrangements to bring water and put it in someones ice chest......

-J
Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Gibbs
Know it all

Yeah I'm definantly going to be bringing my own cooler and drinks.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM
SpeedRcr

andi will give us sauce,bread,plates,napkins,and forks i just have to tell him
Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Solo RX-7

Matt Lucas here – I’m in charge of the solo program for TX Region SCCA. Jason sent me an email giving me a heads up that you guys were coming. I read through the thread, and there are few things I can clear up that will make your first event go a lot smoother.
  • Have fun! I guarantee you’ll have a blast. Autocrossers are a very helpful and friendly bunch – if you’re not sure about something ask someone. They’ll gladly help you out. If you’re not sure who to ask, all the event officials wear orange shirts. Find one of them and they’ll gladly take care of you.
  • Pre-register online. This will greatly reduce the amount of time you have to spend in line the morning of the event. Online registration closes Friday night, so get in before that.
  • Get there early, especially if you’re not pre-registered. We start checking people in at 7:30. Get there no later than that. You’ll need to check in, get your car tech’d and walk the course. I can’t emphasize the importance of walking the course. There’s nothing worse than getting lost on course because you weren’t paying attention or didn’t walk it.
  • Overfill your tires with air the night before or on the way to the event. You’ll want about 10-15lbs more air than you run on the street to maximize grip and minimize wear, and it’s way easier to let air out at the site than put air in. There are plenty of folks with compressors and air tanks that will gladly lend them to you, but it’s much easier if you’re not scrambling around trying to find one.
  • Bring sunscreen, a hat and plenty of water. A nasty sunburn on Monday morning is a drag. Dehydration isn’t any fun either. It’s blinkin’ hot in Texas this time of year, and you’re going to be outside most of the day.
  • Our loaner helmets are brand new this year, and we also have balaclavas available for $1. If you bring your own helmet you'll need to get it tech'd along with your car. If it's not Snell 95 or newer (M or A) you won't be allowed to use it. Helmets rated only DOT are not allowed.
Your Z cars can run in a couple of different classes.

BS – B Stock. Only mods allowed are exhaust (cat back only), shocks (must use OEM mounting points), and front sway bar. You can use any wheel/tire, but the wheel must be the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel.

BSP – B Street Prepared. Allows full suspension, intake, exhaust, wheels, brakes, race seats (but must have upholstery and other interior parts in place), body kits (‘add on’ kits, not entire panel replacement), rolled fenders, stand alone ECU, sub frame connectors, etc.

SSM – Super Street Modified. All allowances of Stock and Street Prepared, plus replacement of complete body panels.

Within categories there are classes, and generally speaking the closer to the front of the alphabet the more capable the car. A BS car should be more capable than a GS car, for example. A BSP car should be more capable than a CSP car, etc. SSM is stand alone – there are no letter classes within Street Modified.

If you’ve never done this before you really should run in our Novice class. Register that way online by adding the N modifier to your class. You can be a Novice in any class (NBS, NBSP, NSSM, etc). As a novice you’ll still run and work in the same heat as your open class competitors – so if BS runs in heat 2, works in heat 3, you’ll run in 2 and work in 3 just like an open BS car. We have a very good Novice program that includes a special Novice drivers meeting and course walk through, and we’ll help you get rides with someone experienced and we can put someone in your car to help you. Take full advantage of this – you’ll be amazed how much faster someone with experience can make you in just a few short minutes.

If there are 6 or more of you that would like to compete against each other in your own class we can set that up for you. We can call it Z class or whatever you like. It may be a good way to keep those pesky RX-8s at bay... If you want to do that please let me know by Friday so we can get it set up in time.

Our events are almost always three heats. Occasionally they are 4 heats, but it’s not likely this weekend. You will work one heat, drive one heat, and have one heat off. If it’s a 4 heat event you’ll have 2 heats off. You’ll make all of your runs in the heat you’re assigned. Your work assignment will be given to you at the start of your work heat. If you do not show up for your work assignment you will be automatically disqualified and we will publicly ridicule you. : )

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Another thing:

Everyone that Drives - also works the course!

during registration it will ask you for work assginment...thats a guessing game, they will put you where ever they decide......the guys that run these events are ******.......anyways, we wont get into that..
-J
I haven’t heard that before, but if you mean we put rules in place and enforce them, then yes we are ******. No worries – our first mission in life is to make sure that the competitors are safe. Our second mission is to make sure you have fun and want to come back and drive again. Unless someone is a total bonehead we always meet these goals. Our work assignments are set up to make sure the event is safe and runs smoothly. If you ask for computer operator or grid as your work assignment and you've never done it before, don't be surprised if don't get it. If you've got experience doing a specialized job with another club, by all means mention it when you check in and we'll probably be able to accomodate you.

Matt

Last edited by Solo RX-7; 08-11-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Hi Matt,

Glad you made it to the thread............

that comment at the end of your post i guess was a blanket where once at pennington i had registered for one spot and when signing up one morning i found i was elsewhere, which was fine, but i just simply asked why they moved me and the dude behind the table started mouthing off like no other. so I guess i just remembered that........i guess it was too early in the morning for him i dunno...

-j
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Solo RX-7

No sweat Jason. There are many clubs that use Pennington as an event site. Hopefully it wasn't with our club - we pride ourselves on being user friendly. If it was us - sorry about that. Shouldn't happen that way, no matter what the cicumstances.

Looking forward to you guys coming out. Are all the Z cars from the metroplex, or are there folks from out of town?

This event will be a good one to watch when you're not driving as there will be many national level competitors on hand getting their final concrete tuning in before the Solo National Championships next month. We have many multi-time national champions in the region, and there are a few coming from out of town as well. Keep an eye on Kenny Baker and Jim Harris in their BS RX-8's, Andy Franco in his BSP Corvette, and Sean Goodpasture in his BSP Evo. They're all great guys that will be happy to share tips and tricks, too.

Matt
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Sounds great! Really looking forward to it.....

-J
Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

So what class should I be in? DSP makes the most since I think.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Solo RX-7

StuLax - tell me about your car. I should be able to get you to the correct class.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

2007 Infiniti FX35, RWD.
Suspension: Lowering springs, strut tower bar, two front suspension braces, one rear brace (normally 2, but I don't think I'll have it in by the event).
Performance: Possibly will have an intake pipe and 2.5" APS exhaust by the event.
Tires: Hankook Ventus ST RH06 275/45/20 (OEM was 265/50/20). Stock 20" wheels.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Solo RX-7

Well, crud. I was really hoping you'd tell me a different car than the one in your signature.

Because the FX isn't specifically classed by the Solo rules, it will have to be measured to make sure that it's not a high risk for rollover. Basically that means it needs to be wider than it is tall. There's a little more to it than that, but that's basically what it comes down to. This is a safety requirement to minimize the risk of rollover.

The measurements are taken at the highest point on the roof line and the track width (center to center of the wheels). Our tech guys have all the equipment to produce these measurements accurately. If it doesn't meet the dimensions required as measured by our guys, we can't let you compete in the FX.

I really hate to say that, because yours is lowered and on street tires it's unlikely you'll generate enough grip to get in trouble. But we've got to enforce the rules as they're written. If we deviate from them and something goes wrong we're liable. You know those lawyers and insurance people and all that.

That doesn't mean you can't compete, however. If one of your fellow Z car owners will let you, co-driving is definitely allowed - even encouraged. Because we only send one car at a time two people can drive the same car. This is very common. You'll want to make a deal with the car owner - some kind of agreement about what happens if you break his car, but it's extremely unlikely. Cone marks buff out easy - I've got plenty of experience. The odds of you hitting something else are extremely low. Reference my bone-head remarks in earlier post....

If there's anyone else in the group that's coming out in an SUV or crossover the same rules will apply to them, too. I just don't want anyone to get upset the morning of the event if they are told they can't compete because their vehicle isn't classed and it doesn't meet the height/width ratios.

Sorry for the potentially bad news - if yours meets the dimensions you'll be able to use it, but I want to make sure you're prepared in case it doesn't.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well it's definitely pretty low and pretty wide. Would you like me to take some measurements? Doing rough measurements, I got 65" from center of tread to center of tread. And it looks like about 63" from floor to highest point. It was harder to measure that just because I was eyeballing where the roof hit on the measuring tape.

Last edited by StuLax18; 08-11-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

sheit........go buy some 30mm spacers too.........lol

Swap out to some 18's....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-11-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Solo RX-7

If those numbers are accurate than you'll probably be OK. The tech guys have a looong level that they'll put on the roof to do the height measurement. Track is pretty straighforward as long as you're on the center (not the outside) of the wheels.

2WD and lowering are in your favor, but still not a gaurantee until the official numbers are in...

Quick Reply: AUTOX - AUG 16,th - DFW - Who's going with me!