Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Touchless wash (or wash your own?) in Alexandria/Springfield?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 06:13 AM
dcmidnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchless wash (or wash your own?) in Alexandria/Springfield?

My Z will be an outdoor daily driver throughout the winter. My plan was to run it through a touchless wash every couple of weeks (followed by a Z6 wipe) as I usually shutoff/flush my outdoor pipes to keep them from freezing so dont wash my own in the winter. Anyone in the area recommend a good wash? I used to go to Davids on Four Mile Run in Shirlington, but thats a bit far to make the trek every week.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Silkk

A wise man I once knew told me, "You can drive the Z in winter... just not in the direction you want to go..."

I think he also termed the car a "Hockey Puck" in winter...

Good luck. I hope you got some Blizzaks?

Sorry I can't help on a touchless wash, but looks like you got the idea down. Road salt, etc. isn't very good for a cars paint.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 AM
dcmidnight

I have a set of Kuhmo ECSTA ASXs which I've received great reviews on from several Z drivers that drive in light winters.

Believe me I would love to be wealthy enough to have 6 cars and drive one each day of the week and have a weekend car. But I dont.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Silkk

Understood... I drove my Z last winter as well... but I picked up a 95 Celica to drive this winter b/c it's just not worth it.

I had all-season Kumhos on last winter too! Wouldn't you know 1) I spun out into a guardrail on 95 when temps were low (40F) and maybe a light mist on the surface and 2) I got caught in 1" of snow and it took me 2.5 hours to drive 50 miles.

I just don't trust the Z in the cold, let alone the snow...

Good luck though, in all seriousness.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:54 PM
dcmidnight

OK I get your point, you dont drive the Z in winter. Back to my original thread question, thanks...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 AM
OutsiderZ5

Well I'm going to be driving my Z throughout the winter too. I like the car wash over off of Edsall Rd. right at the intersection of Van Dorn Street. That's not a touchless though. It does a decent job but I haven't found one that is any better yet!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 AM
Silkk

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
OK I get your point, you dont drive the Z in winter. Back to my original thread question, thanks...
Wow, no need to get pissy...

It will be fine if your morning/evening commute are not > 5-10 miles and you call off in bad snow.

If not, I guess you'll understand once you put it in a snowbank, guardrail, or another car...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Silkk

And for the record, I totally do not buy the "I can't afford it..." comment from anyone who owns a 350z...

If you can afford to own a > $30k sports car, you can afford to buy a $1k-3k beater for December - March.

And you wouldn't even have to take it to the carwash. Hah.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:50 AM
cbrflyer919

Yeah, I had WAY to many close calls last winter, So I just bought a 98 pathfinder to do the trick this year.....

As far as car washes go, its a bit of a hike, but if you are in the area there is wash place that looks to be a long drive thru auto wash, and it is in the fact that it has machine sprayers to rinse, BUT once you pull in youll see like 6-8 "workers" goin to town handwashing your car in like 3 minutes. They actually do a good job and its not too expensive. its 13 for the wash, but get this...that doesnt include the wheels, 5 extra for those. SO its 18 bucks or so, super quick and a pretty damn good job. I do give one word of caution. I used to go there BEFORE i got my wheels/tires. your car is pulled thru on the traditional rails like at an auto wash. I am pretty sure that you could make it thru if you pulled in to the rail perfectly, but I am just not willing to try it anymore. Just thought Id let you know though in case you weere in that area. If you go up 495 to leesburg pike (route 7) get off as if your going to tysons one mall, pass the mall and about 1/2 mile ahead on your right you will see the place, big blue building also sells gas... Cant remember the name tho, good luck!

Last edited by cbrflyer919; 10-31-2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:22 PM
nashjam

I have gotten out of the habit of posting regularly, but just thought I'd have to put in my .02

First I wouldn't take the z through a car wash, touchless or not...the clear coat is just too thin, and you risk messing up the paint...swirls and such. I don't know where you live but there is a car wash in Woodbridge on route 1 that has the hand sprayers. Also if you're close to Oxon Hill at all there is one on Livingston Ave.

As for driving in the winter...I'm tired of hearing people say how bad it is to drive the Z in the winter and that you can't/ shouldn't do it...Yes the tires are not seasonal, but it's not that difficult as long as your smart about it. It's easy, don't drive aggressively. Granted 3 inches of snow is never good, but hey that's what sick days are for.

Also, 30K for a car isn't crap anymore, and that's proven by the age of many owners. Last time I checked this wasn't a Corvette Z06 or some other 50-60K+ car, so get over it. Just because you have a Z doesn't mean you have money.

Last edited by nashjam; 10-31-2005 at 06:27 PM.