Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Body Parts Prices and Body Shop Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
wolster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Shop Advice and Progressive Insurance Experience?

Look at the Update section for the update

So I was backing up in the parking garage today and ran right into a pole. I plan on checking out body shops tomorrow to get quotes for a repair job. Below are images of the damage.

First, can any one give me a rough estimate of how muuch the parts will cost. It looks like I need the lower rear quarter panel and the bumper fixed on the driver's side (see images). Also, from searching the forums I've identified four body shops that supposedly do good work.

J & J Autobody - Columbia, MD
Auto Body Images - Columbia, MD
IGS Auto Body - Crofton, MD
D & V Autobody - Chantilly, VA

I will post the quotes I get tomorrow and I would like people to let me know what experience if any they have had with any of these body shops and if the prices seem reasonable. I'd truly appreciate you guys help on this as I don't want to get a raw deal. I will post images of the repair work. Thanks! =)

Damge:

Update

So here's the update. I went to the body shops listed below and got these quotes:

J & J Autobody - Columbia, MD $1548.76
Auto Body Images - Columbia, MD (Quote through insurance company)
IGS Auto Body - Crofton, MD $817.38
Chandler's Auto Body, Beltsville, MD $2532.36
Collision Works, Inc. - Beltsville, MD (Quote through insurance company)
D & V Autobody - Chantilly, VA (Too far for me to drive right now)

Chandler's Auto Body wants to try replacing the quarter panel instead of getting the dent out. From what I've been told replacing the panel should be the last thing I should try, because it requires cutting into the factory welding. So I think I'll cross them off the list.

For the two that I have to get a quote through my insurance company I believe the price should be right around $2000. I have Progressive as my insurance company. Has anyone had experience with going through Progressive to try and get get body repair done?

To be honest, I'm leaning more towards IGS Auto Body if I want to get the repairs done out-of-pocket. If I go through my insurance company I'm leaning more towards J & J Autobody. Has anyone had experience with either of these shops?

What do you guys suggest? Have you had any experience with any of these body shops? How much did your insurance increase after reporting a claim? Your input will be greatly appeciated. Thanks!

Last edited by wolster; 09-08-2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-06-2006, 05:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry about the incident. I estimate $2,000. Of course you contacted your insurance company right?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 PM
wolster

Not yet. I've always felt that my insurance will go up if I report a claim that is my fault, and I'm paying too much for insurance as it is. Then again, what's the point of having insurance if I don't use it right? What do you think I shoud do? Shoud I contact my insurance company first before looking for a body shop? I have comprehensive insurance through progressive. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
DEEEE

Sorry to here that bro. Prices from actual body shop book I purchased when I bought my car.

326 for the bumper cover + lights and clips.
440 for the quarter but can go as much as 660 if you need all pieces illustrated.

I just got hit in the rear. (not to bad) I got a check for just over 1000 for just putting on a new cover and paint from the culprit's insurance. Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck bud.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wolster
Not yet. I've always felt that my insurance will go up if I report a claim that is my fault, and I'm paying too much for insurance as it is. Then again, what's the point of having insurance if I don't use it right? What do you think I shoud do? Shoud I contact my insurance company first before looking for a body shop? I have comprehensive insurance through progressive. Thanks.
Insurance companies love people who pay premiums and never file a claim. Your insurance company may recommend a body shop. One that they use. One that customers are satisfied with.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 AM
suprpwr

kinda along the same lines, but also interested in a good body shop, especially for quality and price-conservative painting of body pieces...interested to know what you find out from those shops you listed.

but as for insurance, it'd be a collision claim, which very well could raise your rates. (unless, of course, you can make them believe the pole attacked your car...then it'd be comprehensive (vandalism))
Old 09-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Clarkesville Auto Center--full collision/mechanic shop, they do amazing work, I had the Z fixed there and nobody has ever noticed
Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 AM
spacemn_spiff

Also check out Collison works in Beltsville, MD, they do a really good job from personal experience and are very professional. I have seen 911s, a Murcielago, Caymans, new BMW 3 coupe and other nice cars in their shop.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Zrated

Sorry to hear, that REALLY sucks!

I can tell you this, I had the exact same damage when a girl backed into my car (hit and run, but they actually caught her, the cop was pissed that she wouldn't cooperate so he slapped her with about 14 pts wrth of tickets).

Anywho...They replaced the quarter panel skin, bumper, and whatever crap that was damaged behind it. It was on the passenger side, so throw in a new gas door, and gas door release. Insurance claim adjuster said 3G's, body shop charged 4G's, and I'm out my $1500 deductable until my insurance can recover the cash from her insurance.

The shop did a great job hanging the quarter and fantastic paint work (looks factory w/ no mis-match on CS), but they scratched up the nose of the car, and the roof, and did a so so job re attaching the new bumper. It has been in a total of 3 weeks now, and I am waiting to get it back for a second time. What are the chances they will fix their mess without f-ing up something else??

Make sure you find a shop with a good rep.. Although my shop was supposed to as well, they are just too busy, and when things get rushed they get screwed up.

Good Luck with the repair.

Hey DEEE do you have any pics of how your new bumper alignment looks???

Oh... I wanted to add... If they hadn't caught the girl, I was considering not going through the insurance. I had decided to go through them anyway even if they didn't catch her, because I looked at it as a $4000 loan. I'd rather pay that back in a rate adjustment over a bunch of years, and have the cash now.

Last edited by Zrated; 09-08-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
tlohman81

man... that sucks! sorry to hear that.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:07 AM
wolster

Originally Posted by suprpwr
kinda along the same lines, but also interested in a good body shop, especially for quality and price-conservative painting of body pieces...interested to know what you find out from those shops you listed.

but as for insurance, it'd be a collision claim, which very well could raise your rates. (unless, of course, you can make them believe the pole attacked your car...then it'd be comprehensive (vandalism))
You know, that's a good idea. I could be like "the pole came out of nowhere, rammed into me, and took off" I'd love to see the insurance rep's face when I tell him/her that. I tell ya, you've got to watch out for those evil poles. LOL