Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

screwed by ins and dealer, need new shop & advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
annahandres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry screwed by ins and dealer, need new shop & advice

As most of you know I was rear-ended this summer.

With work and school and worrying about having to get a rental and losing my car for weeks I just got around to taking it in for repairs about 2 weeks ago.

The initial claims adjustment from State Farm for my car was $1,800. I knew when they checked out my car that this was far from accurate as literally all they did was walk around the outside of my vehicle and looked at it. I couldn't even get them to look under my car at the exhaust. They just said we will cut you another check if the shop finds anything else wrong with your car.

FF to today. My dad called and said the shop just called them and said that they have found an additional $6,700 in repairs. I'm so pissed I'm like yeah no ****. These idiots didn't look at the car in any way even close to professionally, but what do you expect?

Now this amount they are forecasting for repairs is obviously going to exceed the 'value' of my vehicle. When both me and my father have spoken to a representative from the shop they have been very vague and not told us the actual damage to the vehicle or its relationship to the accident, despite our questions to them to get this information from them.

So as it stands State Farm is sending someone out Tuesday to the shop to look at the car and decide what to do about payment for repairs. I have no idea what damages are necessary to repair or just add ons to steal my money and my car from me. My father and I both told them we wanted a professional, itemized list of damages and repair costs relating to the accident. If there is something wrong with my car that they don't believe is from the accident, don't try to add it to my total loss!! I will pay for that **** out of pocket if I have to (ie injector malf, ac dead, etc).

Anyway, I need to find another body shop, and an additional muffler/exhaust shop if the body shop doesn't do that too. My car is currently at a dealership. The only reason I took it there rather than a real shop was because it is rated in the top 3 on the east coast for something or other and people recommended their service and repair quality to me. Bad choice, never going to do it again.

All I want is my fukcing car back and the money those selfish jerks owe me for the repairs for damages one of their policy holders did to my vehicle.

These people will not give me or my father a straight answer, and no I am not surprised.

Mid-A/ Richmond VA area people, I need advice and I need to take my car to a reputable shop for repairs, as soon as State Farm and the dealership are done trying to screw me over. Yes I am bitter but this whole thing is stupid. They didn't do a real job finding the damages to my car at the time even though I made a point to ask what happens when a shop finds more damages when they actually look at my car professionally, and the only response I got was then they will call us and we will deal with it at that time.

There are a ton of shops around here for me to choose from, who in the Richmond area can I trust??
Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Integrity
Banned

I'd hire a lawyer and let him hassle the insurance company and shop. Both tend to get off their asses when a lawyer is involved.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
annahandres

I don't think my dad wants to pay for a lawyer, and that is going to take forever.

Ughh. I can't get them to be straight with me and tell me wtf exactly is going on with my car and why it is going to cost $8,500 to repair!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Maybe I didn't read it right, but this should be between YOUR ins. company and THEIRS. You should not have to lift hardly a finger. That's what you pay your premiums for.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another shop is a good idea. A reputable shop will always give you a written estimate for repairs. But it matters little - you are not paying the bill.

I agree with Clipdin. State Farm and the shop are responsible for fixing the car. I don't understand how you got in the middle.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 PM
VTMustard

yeah like david said, i don't understand how you and your father got in the middle of this!

When I had my wreck a couple years back, the insurance agent did an initial inspection of the vehicle (which involved looking under the hood, and under the car...it was a front end collision), they cut me a check for what they saw, RECOMMENDED an authroized repair shop, which then billed the insurance company directly for anything else they found...the only thing I had to do was bring the car in for inspection, drop it off at the shop and pick it up!

Sounds to me like you insurance company isn't very good or at least the agent who did your inspection isn't very good...but then again I have no experience with state farm, I had allstate at the time of my accident and now have progressive!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
slowxturtle

Originally Posted by annahandres
As most of you know I was rear-ended this summer.
You said rear-ended... hehe... jk...

Don't worry, State Farm isn't going to accept A/C repairs on the claim. The adjuster will figure it out. If they DO total the car a loss, then you can always negotiate the amount they give you. If you can find used car sales ads that show your car for more then what they give you, then do that. Also, they will take into consideration the taxes and registration you will be paying to buy another used car. I know this isn't the info you're looking for, but just thought I would tell you just in case it comes down to that.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

They are in the middle because the quote exceeds value of car thus TOTALED. He does not want just a check for car value, wants what was accident related to be repaired and take care of the rest via personal funds.